Youview - using retail box for TalkTalk

Hi all,

If I buy a retail Youview box, does anyone know if I can still get all the extra channels on the box's EPG, record them (subject to the update), and generally make the box a TalkTalk box?

Only because the Huawei box doesn't have the auxiliary / phono ports at the back (red, white and yellow) to support my surround but the retail / BT one does.

Comments

• Seymour CatSeymour Cat Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mickieboi wrote: »
    Only because the Huawei box doesn't have the auxiliary / phono ports at the back (red, white and yellow) to support my surround but the retail / BT one does.

The lack of phono output is easily fixed. I use one of these to connect my box to my amplifier. It has no effect on the HDMI output.
  • mickieboimickieboi Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Fantastic! Going to find a longer version, however that will fix a multitude of issues. Would a retail box pick up the extra channels and record, though? Doing upstairs as well!
  • Seymour CatSeymour Cat Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have two boxes. The first was supplied and installed by TalkTalk, the second I got from ebay for £39.

When I was installing the second box I was given a warning that it looked like I was installing a second box and that TalkTalk didn't support multi-room.

I ignored this and carried on regardless and both boxes work fine.

I don't subscribe to any of the extra tv channels, but the iPlayers work fine on both boxes and we can even watch a different iPlayer programme on each box at the same time.

I can't guarantee that the same is true for subscription channels though.

The box needs a wired connection to the internet (no wi-fi on-board or dongle support) so I use a wi-fi repeater like this one for the iPlayer in my bedroom.
  • mickieboimickieboi Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info! I thought it was possible to get the OD stuff on a second box, your suggestion may come in handy as not too keen on putting holes through ceilings or wires running up the stairs.
  • tallguy9tallguy9 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I currently use two TalkTalk boxes and the subscription channels work fine on both. Both have wired connections though