Options

Anymore news on this £99 Orange Android?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    tony le mesmertony le mesmer Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    I'm going to go against the flow here.

I do like the phone, but its just irritating me. I know I shouldn't expect too much for the price, but my prior phone (Nokia 5230 - cost £80) had better battery life (3+ days rather than 1 day), and definitely had a better camera (despite the SF having 3mp autofocus). Video recording is pretty dire as well.

I wish that Android had some folder structure for apps, so I could put them into games/apps/navigation/etc. - I could do that with homescreens, but its a kludge.

Its definitely going to make a good backup phone though, and it'll definitely be kept for keeping my youngest happy - he loves watching Cars on it (yxplayer is pretty neat), and playing some of the jigsaw puzzles.

Definitely has to be kept for the google sky map.

It only just plays Angry Birds - too often suffers from chronic slow downs.

Overall good, but a bit of a mixed bag.

You could put folders on your homescreen perhaps?

Long press the homescreen, folders, new folder. Then drag some apps into them.
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    There's no doubt tricks to get the battery life much higher.

The 5230 of course is a great phone in some aspects..

You shouldn't really be having to perform tricks to improve battery life though.
    You could put folders on your homescreen perhaps?

Long press the homescreen, folders, new folder. Then drag some apps into them.

So you can .... thats showing a total lack of consistency in design. Why on there and not in the main menu? At least in iOS you can arrange the apps on the menu itself, so you could have a page for games, utilities, etc.

At least you can't put too many apps on it due to the internal memory not being that generous, although there's enough to put on a few useful apps/games.
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A2SD means I can have as many apps as my SD card allows. Also angry birds works better if you install a rom with the hardware acceleration that pushes things to the gpu. I tried it with and without acceleration and the with option was smooth.

Got to say that this phone is fantastic for the money - and the ease of hacking is an added bonus.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    can anyone who has this phone tell me how much spare memory this phone has from new. The specs say 150mb is that before or after all the crapware on it, Curious as to how many apps I will get on this compared to other phones

cheers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    can anyone who has this phone tell me how much spare memory this phone has from new. The specs say 150mb is that before or after all the crapware on it, Curious as to how many apps I will get on this compared to other phones

cheers

The apps don't tend to be that big .... thankfully.

I've got 52mb available, and have installed :
    Album Art Grabber
    Angry Birds
    Barcode scanner
    Compass
    de Blob
    Facebook
    FB Reader
    Fruit Ninja
    Gemini Calendar (waaaay better than the stock calendar)
    Google Sky Map
    Kindle
    Magic Marker
    Plants vs Zombies
    RAC Traffic
    Run Keeper
    Shopper (google app)
    Solo Lite (guitar player)
    VM Heap Tool (useful for improving performance - increase VM heap from 24 to 32mb)
    xPiano
    XyloPhone (for my 2 year old, he loves it)
    Yo McQueen (pixar jigsaw)
    yxPlayer
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd greatly appreciate any comments about how good this phone is for accessing web sites via wi-fi/802.11.

I've got a Belkin 802.11n router downstairs. Do you think the phone would connect to it from upstairs ok?

John
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    I'd greatly appreciate any comments about how good this phone is for accessing web sites via wi-fi/802.11.

I've got a Belkin 802.11n router downstairs. Do you think the phone would connect to it from upstairs ok?

John

It would probably connect, but there's a bug with the wifi - it goes into a power saving mode and doesn't switch back on, unless you explicitly switch it off and on again (which isn't difficult).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it goes into a power saving mode
    How often does that happen?
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    John259 wrote: »
    How often does that happen?

It hasn't happened to me at all (that I have noticed), but I have installed the "Sebastian r4" rom available on modaco. It's a nice lean fast rom that has all the Orangeness cut out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    moordown66 wrote: »
    It's not too good to be true, but it seems a tidy little phone which runs Android 2.1. I haven't had any issues with it yet.

Ask me something specific and I'll try and answer it if it helps

Can one use voip on this phone -drop into range of a Mc Donald's WiFi and make calls?
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    The apps don't tend to be that big .... thankfully.

I've got 52mb available, and have installed :
    Album Art Grabber
    Angry Birds
    Barcode scanner
    Compass
    de Blob
    Facebook
    FB Reader
    Fruit Ninja
    Gemini Calendar (waaaay better than the stock calendar)
    Google Sky Map
    Kindle
    Magic Marker
    Plants vs Zombies
    RAC Traffic
    Run Keeper
    Shopper (google app)
    Solo Lite (guitar player)
    VM Heap Tool (useful for improving performance - increase VM heap from 24 to 32mb)
    xPiano
    XyloPhone (for my 2 year old, he loves it)
    Yo McQueen (pixar jigsaw)
    yxPlayer

that would seem pretty good for 150mb with 50mb left ... where did you get plants vs zombies didnt know there was android version.
    btw Is your phone rooted?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    that would seem pretty good for 150mb with 50mb left ... where did you get plants vs zombies didnt know there was android version.
    btw Is your phone rooted?

Yup, phone is rooted, currently on the r3 firmware mods (ie. minus some of the Orange mods), and patiently awaiting the modaco guys figuring how to get Froyo running on the sanfran :D

Honestly can't remember where I got PvZ!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can one use voip on this phone -drop into range of a Mc Donald's WiFi and make calls?

I haven't used it yet, but Skype is available for Android and it does work on the SanFran - had it installed and it always came up as a dialling option - call a number either via the regular cell service or via Skype.

The only problem with using WiFi for calls with the SanFran is that its got a bug with the wifi - it goes into power saving mode and doesn't switch back on unless you explicitly power it off and then on again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only problem with using WiFi for calls with the SanFran is that its got a bug with the wifi - it goes into power saving mode and doesn't switch back on unless you explicitly power it off and then on again.
    So with the phone as it's supplied from Orange, is it possible to use wi-fi at all? As a total beginner with these devices I wouldn't feel confident modifying its software.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just like the iPhone it will need a firmware update to work with more wifi routers.

Maybe wifi only suits 95% of routers at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Just like the iPhone it will need a firmware update to work with more wifi routers.

Maybe wifi only suits 95% of routers at the moment.

Its not a router problem - its a firmware fault.

Switch on wifi, it connects fine to every router I've tried.

Leave it unused for a bit. Come to use it again, and it won't connect. You've got to switch off the wifi and switch it back on again. The guys over at Modaco are working on a fix, and are likely to get something out way quicker than Orange are ever likely to.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not a router problem - its a firmware fault.
    d123 wrote: »
    It hasn't happened to me at all

And I never said that it was a router problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d123 wrote: »
    It hasn't happened to me at all (that I have noticed), but I have installed the "Sebastian r4" rom available on modaco. It's a nice lean fast rom that has all the Orangeness cut out.

I'm on the r4, but its definitely an issue with the stock (and r3) releases. So sadly, whilst it does have wifi, its not something you can necessarily rely on without switching off and on :(