Leanring to use iTunes

5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi

Since I started using an iPad and iPhone I have decided to get my head around iTunes. I thought it would be simple but I keep getting frustrated with it. For example, on my PC, at the moment when I click the Albums tab, it lists 3 purchased albums (which is fine), but also loads of separate songs which aren't on those albums.
All I want is the individual songs listed in the Songs tab and albums listed in the albums tab. Is that possible or is this just a strange quirk of iTunes that I will have to get used to?

I'm a bit OCD whe it comes to my music being tidy, but at the moment it all looks very messy.

I assume that once I have everything looking good in iTunes, I can then hook up my iPad and or iPhone to my PC and it will duplicated everything onto those devices in the same tidy manner. Or does what is on those devices duplicated onto iTunes on my PC.... I don't want to be losing music!

Owning music used to be so simple :)

Thanks for any help

Comments

• methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    5hane wrote: »
    Hi

Since I started using an iPad and iPhone I have decided to get my head around iTunes. I thought it would be simple but I keep getting frustrated with it. For example, on my PC, at the moment when I click the Albums tab, it lists 3 purchased albums (which is fine), but also loads of separate songs which aren't on those albums.
    All I want is the individual songs listed in the Songs tab and albums listed in the albums tab. Is that possible or is this just a strange quirk of iTunes that I will have to get used to?

I'm a bit OCD whe it comes to my music being tidy, but at the moment it all looks very messy.

I assume that once I have everything looking good in iTunes, I can then hook up my iPad and or iPhone to my PC and it will duplicated everything onto those devices in the same tidy manner. Or does what is on those devices duplicated onto iTunes on my PC.... I don't want to be losing music!

Owning music used to be so simple :)

Thanks for any help

Hi if you have iTunes Match your music should be on all of your'e iOS devices and the music should be in the order that you bought it.

Hope this helps anymore questions just ask. :)
  • victorslotvictorslot Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can sync both iPad and iPhone to iTunes so that they have whatever albums or songs you want on them. If you have lots of music you may not want all of it on them especially if you have a lower memory model. In this case just make play lists and sync them. Each device can have different music too.

There are some gremlins in iTunes but in the main it works well. You will need to play around with it to get it how you want it. Suggest once you have all your music loaded you back it up before making too many adjustments just in case you mess it up.

If you want to have all your music, videos or photos and more on your TV then the best option is to buy an Apple TV. For £99, or less if you can find one in the Apple refurb store, it makes it far simpler than trying to connect your devices via cables.
  • c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds as though, if you have music showing the way it is with a few albums and the rest showing as separate singles. That iTunes doesn't recognise that lots of separate singles should be grouped together into albums.

I had this when I first set up iTunes. Lots of my music was stored as WMA instead of MP3, and iTunes can't play WMA, so it converted 96GB of music to MP3, which took a little while.
    By doing this it split the whole lot up into individual tracks of albums.

To group things like this together, I had to select all the tracks of one album, right mouse click, and select 'Get info' on the summary page there should be a box which you can check called 'Part of compilation' check this box and iTunes usually groups the tracks together into one album.

Slowly but surely I managed to group everything together, so now everything is grouped as albums, with the correct album cover as well.

It does take a bit of time to get used to iTunes, but once everything is organised and you get to know your way around, you will find iTunes is a great bit of kit.
  • 5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies :)

"You can sync both iPad and iPhone to iTunes so that they have whatever albums or songs you want on them"

When the options appears to sync, I am asked if im sure I want to delete whats on my iPad (I forget the exact words), but I certainly don't want to do that.

In regards to the individual songs showing up in my albums, I don't want them grouped into albums I just want them as single tracks in the songs tab, but for some reason I cant move them to the songs tab?
    BTW these are mp3's that weren't purchased with iTunes. I just asked iTunes to locate them on my PC.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Itunes must be one of the mpost annoying bit of software I ever used. i think Apple should scrap it and start again. I have not used it for a good couple of years now, well not on my Pc. i have used it on a Mac and think thank goodness I don't have to use it.

Another reason not to have a Iphone or Ipod.