Options

Not liking Kara at all

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,450
    Forum Member
    She is OK, and she adds something new to the panel that was getting very predictable last year. Not having her in a specific role is a good thing in my opinion.
  • Options
    Geelong CatGeelong Cat Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Kara came across much better during the second show - I liked her in the auditions but found her a bit disappointing last week, she didn't seem to have anything new or interesting to add to what had already been said. Shaking up the order of the judges' comments solved that and made the whole show flow a bit better.

Generally I quite like her. It's good to see a smart, knowledgeable woman on the show who happens to be pretty, rather than someone who's there just because she's pretty, Cheryl, and I like that the two women seem quite supportive of one another. And let's face it, Paula seems to be high on something or other most of the time. :eek: We need a woman on the panel who can string a coherent sentence together. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I find Kara comes across as condescending and agree with the earlier comments about her having bitchface.
  • Options
    Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    To begin with I didn’t think Kara was right for the show, but now we’re into the live shows I’m appreciating her a lot more.

Like Simon, she seems to really know her stuff, and she isn’t scared to tell people when their performance was awful.

I was initially disappointed that we didn’t have someone warmer-hearted (like Cheryl Cole), who brings a lot of heart and soul to the panel — but Kara is not about that (we have Paula for that). Kara is there to be a serious judge and give a fourth opinion, and she does that very well.

Another good thing about Kara is that she allows the whole panel to be more honest. Paula seems to find it easier to be negative when there’s another woman sitting next to her who has said something negative. Simon’s comments don’t seem quite as rude, too, when you have another very honest judge on the panel. (In fact, Simon is coming across more and more as the “nice guy”.)

The only thing I really hate about Kara is her repeated use of the word “chops”. It’s such an ugly word to describe vocal talent. Even Paula has picked it up from her. I really love all of Randy’s expressions (“the bomb” “mad vocals right there” “dawg” “here’s the thing” “just OK for me, dude” etc.) but Kara needs to come up with some more euphemistic, pleasing ones.
  • Options
    Singy ThingySingy Thingy Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Chops' is a commonly used term, meaning posessing not just a basic voice that is good enough to do the job, but also the skill and musical understanding/instincts to 'play' that voice like an instrument, which it is. Chops can apply to musicians as well as singers, and I like that Kara uses the term, as she herself is a good singer who thinks like a musician .

Geelong, I really like the way you worded your last post, and completely agree with you about it being great that Kara happens to be beautiful but her intelligence is more the focus, rather than there being another fluffy-brained 'judge' chosen BECAUSE they are beautiful...I think this is the third time we have agreed this week....scarey!:p :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,122
    Forum Member
    I don't mind her, but she annoys me most of the time, when she never compliments anyone. She always has something bad to say.

I can tell Paula really doesn't like her one bit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    I think her comments are more realistic than some of the others.
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paula is far from redundant. She's not very good at judging, true, but the show needs someone motherly, and that's always been Paula's role. I.

Why does AI need someone motherly? Its rock and roll not Knitting weekly.

I think Kara has been a good addition because both Randy and Paula are kind of useless. Randy knows his stuff but is so inarticulate that it comes out in platitudes (feeling it dawg, it ROCKED). Paula I'm beginning to think is retarded or boozed out of her skull.

Shes just destroyed by Simon every week and is without doubt his 'straight man'. She hasnt got the wit or the articulation to really work on the show.

It might do better if she was put out to grass. Then we might see some tension between Kara and Simon.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does AI need someone motherly? Its rock and roll not Knitting weekly.

I think Kara has been a good addition because both Randy and Paula are kind of useless. Randy knows his stuff but is so inarticulate that it comes out in platitudes (feeling it dawg, it ROCKED). Paula I'm beginning to think is retarded or boozed out of her skull.

Shes just destroyed by Simon every week and is without doubt his 'straight man'. She hasnt got the wit or the articulation to really work on the show.

It might do better if she was put out to grass. Then we might see some tension between Kara and Simon.

I think these shows do need a Paula (or Amanda Holden/Cheryl Cole etc.) to stick up for the contestants and sympathise with them and their stories against Simon so as you don't have 16 year olds and bereaved widowers being slaughtered by 4 people. If one sticks up for them, it makes the show a bit warmer. Tuesday was an example of a show which was so negative that it became a chore to watch. Unfortunately, even Paula couldn't defend most of them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Kara now. I wasn't too sure at first, but she always gives constructive criticism and I agree wit her a lot. After watching this week's lvie shows, it feels like shes been there for at least a few series. Kara, Simon and Randy are good judges IMO, whereas I find Paula pretty much useless. She always seems "scared" to give her real opinion and she just rambles on lol.
  • Options
    ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kara's great - she & Randy are the best judges. She's really articulate & really knows what she's talking about musically & in terms of the industry.

Paula's not massively bright & not hugely articulate, & Kara seems to have given her confidence to be more honest this year. She hasn't been doing so much of the old: "You are the artist that you are" nonsense. I'm always embarrassed for Paula.

Those who say Kara & Paula don't get on - I think are talking nonsense. I think Paula benefits from Kara's support.
  • Options
    mariannermarianner Posts: 11,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kara has got lots of experience but I don't think she's a TV person.
    The judges are a bit weak this series. Simon appears to be sleeping most of the times, and usually he's the only reason I watch that show and Paula seems distant.
    It looks like Randy is holding everyone up now.

They could have someone like Dannii who sticks up for the contestants like she did with Rachel when the press hit her hard, but I think the show itself really needs a makeover now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kara's terrific - Her comments are bang on the money.
  • Options
    Geelong CatGeelong Cat Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ' Geelong, I really like the way you worded your last post, and completely agree with you about it being great that Kara happens to be beautiful but her intelligence is more the focus, rather than there being another fluffy-brained 'judge' chosen BECAUSE they are beautiful...I think this is the third time we have agreed this week....scarey!:p :)
    Thanks - Kara certainly makes a pleasant change from pretty but vacant Cheryl, doesn't she? And yes, scary agreement indeed - white flags at the ready! :p;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem that seems to be coming out on the live shows is that she isn't bringing much new. She's like a cross between Simon and Randy, but not as good TV. Where Randy has the "Dawg Pound" and Simon is "Mr Nasty", Kara isn't really a big personality. Hopefully that will come out as the series progresses. Her comments are generally reasonable, her required standards tend to be more in line with Randy than Simon.

One problem remains that none of the judges could really get too excited about the first 2 weeks. Well, I suppose there was the Danny Gokey love-in, but that was quite embarrassing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kara's got a strong personality - far more so than poor Paula & she's the only one who really stands up to Simon...
  • Options
    Frankie BoyleFrankie Boyle Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    I hope this is her first and last idol.

So is even so annoying, Paula Abdul's more bearable. Her phrases like saying a song was pitchy but that's ok because it was from the heart.

What a load of rubbish she comes up with.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,062
    Forum Member
    I certainly think she's one judge too many. It makes it seem like we're spending too much time listening to the judges instead of getting on with the show. I don't dislike her, but I thought things were fine the way they were. She's not necessary.
  • Options
    Frankie BoyleFrankie Boyle Posts: 212
    Forum Member

She is even so annoying, Paula Abdul's more bearable. Her phrases like saying a song was pitchy but that's ok because it was from the heart.

Is there no edit function on this site?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,285
    Forum Member
    I think Kara has warmed now. I felt she was cold at the start of the program, but since watching her through the shows recently, she seems, okay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rita1 wrote: »
    I certainly think she's one judge too many. It makes it seem like we're spending too much time listening to the judges instead of getting on with the show. I don't dislike her, but I thought things were fine the way they were. She's not necessary.
    No, now Paula isn't necessary.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So is even so annoying, Paula Abdul's more bearable. Her phrases like saying a song was pitchy but that's ok because it was from the heart.

I know. All this rubbish like 'What's it like to go shopping with <insert contestant's name>' etc when basically trying to say 'We don't know anything about you and still don't after hearing your performance'. God, she talks utter drivel. I also think that her being there has made Paula even worse! Can anyone actually stand listening to her claptrap anymore, or more to the point, do the contestants take anything she says seriously? Sheesh!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite this week was something along the lines of "you move mountains when you sing". To be fair to her, I think she's still the "new girl" and maybe trying a bit too hard to make her mark and it comes over a bit forced especially when Randy, Paula and Simon fill their roles so effortlessly (even if Paula's role is incoherent rambling drunk).
  • Options
    ribtickleribtickle Posts: 6,361
    Forum Member
    I'd sooner have Kara than Simon or Paula.

Cowell is Mr Cliché, sat there looking and sounding like the Lord Charles ventriloquist's dummy, spouting "if I'm being perfectly honest....let me finish.....only having an opinion". He's developed a reputation for brash honesty but it's completely undeserved. Manipulation would be a better description. If someone is popular in the voting percentages he will talk up their talents and get shot of others who can actually sing using some tried-and-tested put down about their star quality or image.

Paula is at the opposite end of the insincerity spectrum, completely unable to say anything bad, and as dotty as an old lady at the sherry and cough mix. It would be better for Idol if those two left and were given their own Richard & Judy style show.

It's so refreshing to have qualified people like Kara and Randy, two judges who speak openly, coherently and honestly.