Options

Why was Matt not popular with the other contestants

Comments

• Options
    Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    I had read all the stuff on the Showbiz thread weeks ago. After reading this yesterday I rewatched the show last night.

At the time I didn't think there was any difference in the greetings the two of them got in Tess's tower. After a rerun I saw that there was a massive difference. With Kara there was whooping and manic applause ... Matt, not so much.

I do think there was a spark between the two of them ... whether it was acted upon who knows ? If it was, at least there has been a dignified silence from them both. Unlike Pammie who basically said she hoped for some granny shagging !
  • Options
    TibbyMindyTibbyMindy Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    I noticed the modest appreciation when M & A arrived in Tess's room. It made me feel really puzzled and sad. Having read all this today, and looked at the accusing showbiz thread, it makes me feel even sadder. Ok, we sitting here reading this are so far removed from it all that we cant possibly know what is true, but what gives the other dancers (or indeed us the GBP) the right to stand above and take some sort of lofty moral stance? If this is the reason for the faint praise that M & A received, then I am quite surprised. Why did Tess have to get the contestants to chant who they wanted to win? Felicity in particular - I thought she was going to burst a blood vessel she was shouting Kara so much. If we are going to cast aspersions on people, we dont need to look too far back into Felicity's history to see how she must have felt to be branded the scarlet woman (justly or unjustly I dont know, but I remember feeling sorry for her and everyone involved at the time.)

Its not like this hasnt happened before. What about all the gossip surrounding Matt di Angelo and Flavia when she was still going out with Vincent? I remember Tess really stirring that up and Vincent was in the room!

However, having said all of that, its not my place to judge anyone either, but I feel really sorry for Matt and his family - and Aliona if her dancer colleagues are being mean about her. Its really not anyone's business.
  • Options
    XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member
    I don't believe for a second that there was anything untoward going on. Sometimes people think they see things that aren't there.
  • Options
    Azla AxeAzla Axe Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    Excuse me for being slow, but I STILL can't find these rumours about Matt you are talking about. :confused:

So what exactly did he allegedly do?
  • Options
    j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    TibbyMindy wrote: »
    I noticed the modest appreciation when M & A arrived in Tess's room. It made me feel really puzzled and sad. Having read all this today, and looked at the accusing showbiz thread, it makes me feel even sadder. Ok, we sitting here reading this are so far removed from it all that we cant possibly know what is true, but what gives the other dancers (or indeed us the GBP) the right to stand above and take some sort of lofty moral stance? If this is the reason for the faint praise that M & A received, then I am quite surprised. Why did Tess have to get the contestants to chant who they wanted to win? Felicity in particular - I thought she was going to burst a blood vessel she was shouting Kara so much. If we are going to cast aspersions on people, we dont need to look too far back into Felicity's history to see how she must have felt to be branded the scarlet woman (justly or unjustly I dont know, but I remember feeling sorry for her and everyone involved at the time.)

Its not like this hasnt happened before. What about all the gossip surrounding Matt di Angelo and Flavia when she was still going out with Vincent? I remember Tess really stirring that up and Vincent was in the room!

However, having said all of that, its not my place to judge anyone either, but I feel really sorry for Matt and his family - and Aliona if her dancer colleagues are being mean about her. Its really not anyone's business.

Felicity could just have genuinely liked Kara! You are reading a lot into things, and we don't even know if any of this is true.

However, Matt was only really successful because of his inoffensive image. On a TV programme, somebody said that they supported him because he would make a good husband! He appealed to a certain audience because he was bland and inoffensive. If it turns out that he is human after all, then he will lose a lot of fans. He was only as popular as he was on Strictly because of his clean-cut image.
  • Options
    millie3millie3 Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I've searched on google and there doesn't appear to be any stories about them anywhere other than that particular forum. That doesn't mean its not true but at the same time its easy to destroy a reputation on the internet without anything to back it up.

If true he may lose a few fans but may gain a few from those who complained he was boring!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    j4Rose wrote: »
    Felicity could just have genuinely liked Kara! You are reading a lot into things, and we don't even know if any of this is true.

However, Matt was only really successful because of his inoffensive image. On a TV programme, somebody said that they supported him because he would make a good husband! He appealed to a certain audience because he was bland and inoffensive. If it turns out that he is human after all, then he will lose a lot of fans. He was only as popular as he was on Strictly because of his clean-cut image.

Yes, that's right, she maybe did really like Kara, but putting the rumour to one side, I found it distasteful that they were shouting the names of who they wanted to win so vehemently like that. It was crass and childish. I can only speak for myself, but I have never favoured a contestant because he had a clean cut image - that wouldnt do anything for me - I liked Matt AND Kara because they were good dancers and they seemed like nice humans.
  • Options
    kittleskittles Posts: 4,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    millie3 wrote: »
    Well I've searched on google and there doesn't appear to be any stories about them anywhere other than that particular forum. That doesn't mean its not true but at the same time its easy to destroy a reputation on the internet without anything to back it up.
    If true he may lose a few fans but may gain a few from those who complained he was boring!

hear bloody hear
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think the rumours had anything to do with who the other contestants supported. Maybe they, like the majority of the voters, simply preferred Kara and Artem?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,820
    Forum Member
    I noticed the modest appreciation when M & A arrived in Tess's room. It made me feel really puzzled and sad. Having read all this today, and looked at the accusing showbiz thread, it makes me feel even sadder. Ok, we sitting here reading this are so far removed from it all that we cant possibly know what is true, but what gives the other dancers (or indeed us the GBP) the right to stand above and take some sort of lofty moral stance? If this is the reason for the faint praise that M & A received, then I am quite surprised.

I'd be quite surprised if the other competitors gave much of a flying fig if he was feeling up Aliona's bottom. Has no-one considered that maybe some of them just didn't like him very much? Only speculating, but surely a possibility
  • Options
    posiepebblesposiepebbles Posts: 1,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This world has made me very nasty and cynical - or perhaps I already was:o - but every time someone is portrayed repeatedly as the loving family man, alarm bells go off.

I never quite bought the packaged image with Ramps and, hey presto, long-term adulterer...

Wouldn't be at all suprised about Matt. People who work very hard to get into the public eye have, by definition, a touch of arrogance. Which could lead to them thinking that the usual rules don't apply. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on the adultery but don't ask me to accept the 'I'm just a humble farmer' nonsense.
  • Options
    IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I seem to recall Ramps' affair came to light during his Strictly run - didn't do much harm to his popularity with the other pros and celebs.

And that is supposing that Matt and Aliona were more than just partners. I haven't seen any proof to suggest that probability.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be quite surprised if the other competitors gave much of a flying fig if he was feeling up Aliona's bottom. Has no-one considered that maybe some of them just didn't like him very much? Only speculating, but surely a possibility

quite

perhaps ya know they just throught Kara was a better dancer and deserved to win

but hey lets ignore the obvious and speculate wildly instead:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignazio wrote: »
    I seem to recall Ramps' affair came to light during his Strictly run - didn't do much harm to his popularity with the other pros and celebs.

nope - it affected him not one iota, in fact I think in some quarters it boosted his popularity with the public in a kind of "oooh he has such hidden passionate depths"
  • Options
    EugenieEugenie Posts: 1,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that's right, she maybe did really like Kara, but putting the rumour to one side, I found it distasteful that they were shouting the names of who they wanted to win so vehemently like that. It was crass and childish. I can only speak for myself, but I have never favoured a contestant because he had a clean cut image - that wouldnt do anything for me - I liked Matt AND Kara because they were good dancers and they seemed like nice humans.

Well said. Both Kara and Matt came across really well.

It's incredibly presumptious of people to tell others WHY they like someone!

Matt become a favourite of mine (along with Patsy, Jimi and Kara) because I found something very attractive and interesting about his combination of earnestness and geeky ways coupled with his ability to move his hips in a most incredible way! He wasn't an obviously sexy man but there seems to be something simmering there. And even if someone likes him as "husband material" so what? Good enough reason to find someone likeable!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And that is supposing that Matt and Aliona were more than just partners. I haven't seen any proof to suggest that probability.

prrof?? what do you want to go cluttering up wild speculation with things like evidence and proof for eh??:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Eugenie wrote: »
    Well said. Both Kara and Matt came across really well.

It's incredibly presumptious of people to tell others WHY they like someone!

Matt become a favourite of mine (along with Patsy, Jimi and Kara) because I found something very attractive and interesting about his combination of earnestness and geeky ways coupled with his ability to move his hips in a most incredible way! He wasn't an obviously sexy man but there seems to be something simmering there. And even if someone likes him as "husband material" so what? Good enough reason to find someone likeable!

I think a lot of people did like Matt because of his image. Presumptuous or not, I think it's true. I'm going by what other people have said.
  • Options
    NooneNoone Posts: 6,048
    Forum Member
    kittles wrote: »
    quite

perhaps ya know they just throught Kara was a better dancer and deserved to win

but hey lets ignore the obvious and speculate wildly instead:D

Simple, and to the point. I agree.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yes, you're absolutely right, but going back to the original point about the very noticeable difference between the support Matt received from the others, it was such a big difference between the two receptions and that is why there is this speculation. I cant understand why they would dislike Matt to such an extent that they wouldnt want to show support, just to be sporting. My thought at the time was that they felt supportive of Kara having injured her arm and just generally trying to be encouraging. However, if I'd been there I'd have wanted to show support for them both.

I dont want to believe either a) that there was anything clandestine going on or b) that the other dancers would use that as a reason not to support Matt, BUT I did think it there was a noticeable difference in support and just wondered why. Oh, I really need to forget it and get on with the housework.
  • Options
    spider9spider9 Posts: 4,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Feeling up her bottom is a bit of a tame reason for a character assassination.

I could understand it more if he had been spotted shagging her up against the wall of the Tessanine.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Women liked Ramps primarily because of his looks and nothing else. They probably like the fact that he was a bit of a bad boy. Matt is not really the same.

I can't imagine the other contestants judging Matt like that though. Why would they have cared who he was sleeping with?
  • Options
    Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, you're absolutely right, but going back to the original point about the very noticeable difference between the support Matt received from the others, it was such a big difference between the two receptions and that is why there is this speculation. I cant understand why they would dislike Matt to such an extent that they wouldnt want to show support, just to be sporting. My thought at the time was that they felt supportive of Kara having injured her arm and just generally trying to be encouraging. However, if I'd been there I'd have wanted to show support for them both.

I dont want to believe either a) that there was anything clandestine going on or b) that the other dancers would use that as a reason not to support Matt, BUT I did think it there was a noticeable difference in support and just wondered why. Oh, I really need to forget it and get on with the housework.

Me too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    j4Rose wrote: »
    Women liked Ramps primarily because of his looks and nothing else. They probably like the fact that he was a bit of a bad boy. Matt is not really the same.

I can't imagine the other contestants judging Matt like that though. Why would they have cared who he was sleeping with?[/QUOTE]

nail

head
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,820
    Forum Member
    BUT I did think it there was a noticeable difference in support and just wondered why. Oh, I really need to forget it and get on with the housework.

So did I, but I wondered if it was because they thought he was a git :D

Off to clean out the oven. I feel your pain sistah :(
  • Options
    Bonnie96Bonnie96 Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    Long before this thread appeared, I definitely got the impression that Matt wasn't one of the 'gang', much like the perceived swot in the classroom but I still don't have a clue re what everyone else seems to know about. :confused:

Going by previous posts though, could that be why ITT coverage of the home and family was so biased towards Matt?