Elton John becomes a father at 63

Comments

• jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This bit from the report made me laugh "Zachary is 62-year-old John's first child with the 48-year-old Furnish", medical science has obviously come a lot further than I realised.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    I hope they teach him how to look after himself because he's going to ribbed something rotten at school.

He'll probably go to some expensive private school where other celebrities' children go and his circumstances would not stand out as unusual.
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Vixen wrote: »
    The child will also have to find out at some point that his mother sold him for a price.

Well, that's one view of surrogate mothers.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    He'll probably go to some expensive private school where other celebrities' children go and his circumstances would not stand out as unusual.

Can you think of any other celebrities' kids in those circumstances?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why's everyone up in arms about them 'purchasing' a child? Surrogacy is a common method for childless couples - do you lot have issues when a woman who can't conceive has to use a surrogate? Or accuse the surrogate mother in that situation of abandoning or selling the child?
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tomharry2 wrote: »
    lovely, intelligent...all in the eyes of the beholder

twit...same as above

have i sort of destroyed your argument there?

Nope! :)

For starters, she did very well at school (and we're not talking about a posh school here) and she's very polite to people outside the home.

How many teenage boys are now involved in gang culture or doing very badly in school, despite not being brought up by gay parents?
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marvola45 wrote: »
    Why's everyone up in arms about them 'purchasing' a child? Surrogacy is a common method for childless couples - do you lot have issues when a woman who can't conceive has to use a surrogate? Or accuse the surrogate mother in that situation of abandoning or selling the child?

I couldn'´t be a surrogate myself but I see nothing wrong with it when the surrogate is just that, rather than it being her egg that is fertilised.

It bothers me when it is actually the surrogates own child which she then gives away. I am not sure why that distinction matters to me but it does :confused:
  • The VixenThe Vixen Posts: 9,829
    Forum Member

Would the surrogate have taken money for having the baby. Answer yes.

Would the surrogate have given up all responsibilty for the baby? Answer yes. So they've abandoned the baby have they not?
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Would the surrogate have taken money for having the baby. Answer yes.

Would the surrogate have given up all responsibilty for the baby? Answer yes. So they've abandoned the baby have they not?

It may not have been the surrogates baby though, it could have been another womans egg implanted after IVF.
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member

Good post. Homophobia is sadly still prevalant and it's so sad.
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how much time Elton is going to spend with his new toy anyway ? He'll probably spend most of his time with childminders etc., except for occasionally when Elton will put him in a little clutch bag and take him on a shopping trip, like a small Chihuahua accessory.

I may be proved wrong, but I'm not particularly impressed at the moment..
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    d0lphin wrote: »

My kids went to a school with lots of celeb parents. Trust me, they will still rip the piss out of any worthy target. That kid had better be as cool as an ice cube, then it will be fine. My daughter shared a class with the offspring of one of the internet's most notorious. But he was, and is, cool. Famous himself in his own right at 15.
  • GirthGirth Posts: 12,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnny_t wrote: »

I may be proved wrong, but I'm not particularly impressed at the moment..
    I doubt that Elton did it to impress you.
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    It may not have been the surrogates baby though, it could have been another womans egg implanted after IVF.

I have no idea how anyone can carry a baby for nine months, planning at conception to give it away, then to give it away, rather sell it for "expenses".

No idea at all.
    Forum Member
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »

There has only been one homophobic comment. Other criticism is about purchasing a child and the child's welfare in respect of having a father old enough to be a grandfather, even great grandfather.
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no idea how anyone can carry a baby for nine months, planning at conception to give it away, then to give it away, rather sell it for "expenses".

No idea at all.

Then don't be a surrogate or an egg donor.

Plenty of people out there are very very grateful that some people can do it.

Do you feel this way about all surrogate pregnancies?
    Forum Member

No idea at all.

People do though, so not everyone thinks that way. It would be boring if we were all the same. I'm a little weirded out by this myself, but each to their own.
    Forum Member
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »

PS One person has posted saying his is gay but he feels that is wrong on so many levels.

I actually find it very insulting to be grouped as a homophobe for not applauding Sir Elton's new purchase.
    Forum Member

No idea at all.

Some can do it, some cant, I admire a woman who can do it, I would do it if I was younger and it was a donated egg and sperm, I woudl just be the carrier, and it would have no genetic link to me.

I think it is the most selfless act a woman can give.
    Forum Member
    PS One person has posted saying his is gay but he feels that is wrong on so many levels.

Just me, but the homosexual aspect is the only part that is not weird!
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Some can do it, some cant, I admire a woman who can do it, I would do it if I was younger and it was a donated egg and sperm, I woudl just be the carrier, and it would have no genetic link to me.

I think it is the most selfless act a woman can give.

Selfless? Hmmmmmmmmmm..........
    Forum Member
    Selfless? Hmmmmmmmmmm..........

Yes, giving a child to a childless couple is a selfless act. would you see it as selfish then and if so, in what way?
  • BanditaBandita Posts: 3,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My ex adopted a baby when he was approaching 60, the child is now 8 and the most gorgeous child, my ex is more engaged with him than he was with our children who love their 'brother' to bits as I do! The family would be much poorer without him.
    Forum Member
    Then don't be a surrogate or an egg donor.

Plenty of people out there are very very grateful that some people can do it.

Do you feel this way about all surrogate pregnancies?

What a silly question, do other surrogate pregnancies not start out with the surrogate conceiving with the intention of giving the baby away. I thought that if you read my post clearly you'd see the answer to that.
    Forum Member
    Bandita wrote: »
    My ex adopted a baby when he was approaching 60, the child is now 8 and the most gorgeous child, my ex is more engaged with him than he was with our children who love their 'brother' to bits as I do! The family would be much poorer without him.

But then I doubt your ex is weirder than a box of frogs, and lost in showbiz.:p