Why do companies make false assumptions about Pirate DVDs?

13»

Comments

• circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my only gripe with this is when people delude themselves

you never hear someone say "i download because i dont wanna pay for legit copy"

its always "why should i wait for official release? "why should i subscribe to movie channels" or "cinema prices should be lower"
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i still buy dvd's, if they are cheap enough. especially boxed sets of TV seires. often you can only get DVD.

i prefer blu-ray, but DVD's play fine, especially on a blu-ray player.

i just don't pay a lot for any format. £5 max for a blu. I can wait for anything to come down. I buy used blu's but I have stopped buying used DVDs.
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the movie studios need to get the DVD's out far quicker than they do currently. It takes 3/4 months from the end of the cinema run to DVD release which is far too long, DVD's should be out pretty much immediately. There will always be piracy and that won't stop it entirely but I do believe it will cut it down significantly if they can speed up DVD release time
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    TH14 wrote: »
    I think the movie studios need to get the DVD's out far quicker than they do currently. It takes 3/4 months from the end of the cinema run to DVD release which is far too long, DVD's should be out pretty much immediately. There will always be piracy and that won't stop it entirely but I do believe it will cut it down significantly if they can speed up DVD release time

There are plans to reduce the gap between theatrical and VOD, but I imagine home media won't come down. It took a while to get cinemas to agree with VOD, and I doubt they'd ever agree with day and date DVD releases...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are plans to reduce the gap between theatrical and VOD, but I imagine home media won't come down. It took a while to get cinemas to agree with VOD, and I doubt they'd ever agree with day and date DVD releases...

That would work well. If it came out on say iTunes pretty much immediately after cinema run and then in 3/4 months DVD/Blu Ray as people would still buy it because of the extras. Piracy will never stop entirely but it would be reduced if the availability was there. I missed watching Wreck It Ralph and I really want to see it so it's an easy option to get a pirate copy now but if it was available to rent on iTunes I'd get it legally straight away.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You only get pennies for DVDs as well now.

Really? I must have imagined all that lovely dosh I continue to make off flogging them. Sold one a couple of days ago for nearly £200.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    The trouble with releasing so close to the end of a cinema run is 2 fold, when does a cinema run end, whilst it may have finished here in the UK the rest of Europe may be still showing it or even waiting for their own release date. Secondly it would be another nail in the coffin for the cinema industry, why bother going to the cinemas, when in 6 weeks it will be out on DVD/Blu Ray.
    Forum Member
    The trouble with releasing so close to the end of a cinema run is 2 fold, when does a cinema run end, whilst it may have finished here in the UK the rest of Europe may be still showing it or even waiting for their own release date. Secondly it would be another nail in the coffin for the cinema industry, why bother going to the cinemas, when in 6 weeks it will be out on DVD/Blu Ray.

Wreck It Ralph came out on home media in the US close to/before its UK release.

Lots of films work better in the cinema, and many people prefer the cinema experience
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wreck It Ralph came out on home media in the US close to/before its UK release.

Lots of films work better in the cinema, and many people prefer the cinema experience

Lots of people don't though. Many people work full time and with the economy the way it is they haven't always got the means to go to the cinema and pay a hefty sum for a family of 4. That's why piracy is so popular, many people don't like the cinema experience or can't get there/afford it so they download a copy or get a rip off from the pub. However, if they released films to iTunes or streaming services much quicker then, although not eradicationg piracy altogether, it would certainly help the movie studios out. I'd rather pay £3.50 to iTunes or PSN video store for a good quality copy with good sound than a nasty looking pirated copy but when you don't have the choice to do that then that's when people look for a download
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Red Dawn got released in the USA last November & eventually got released here last month. A few days before it's UK Cinema release, it was available legally on Amazon instant & a dvd Rip was also illegally available. Same goes for Madagascar 3, there was a good few months before it got released over here & by the time it did get a UK release, you could purchase it on Blu-ray from an import company at a price that was cheaper than 2 tickets to the cinema.

Another thing that Hollywood is screwing up is the whole rating system, they purposely ruined the Die Hard franchise in the UK, by butchering it, so that kiddies were able to see it. Yes I paid to see it at the cinema, but by them screwing UK customers over by releasing a cut release, I for one will download an uncut version as soon as it becomes available.
  • UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    ^ Yep. I got Madagascar 3 on blu-ray from America while it was just in the cinemas here, it ended up cheaper buying it from America(including postage) than paying for the cinema tickets and travel costs.
    Forum Member
    Red Dawn got released in the USA last November & eventually got released here last month. A few days before it's UK Cinema release, it was available legally on Amazon instant & a dvd Rip was also illegally available. Same goes for Madagascar 3, there was a good few months before it got released over here & by the time it did get a UK release, you could purchase it on Blu-ray from an import company at a price that was cheaper than 2 tickets to the cinema.

Another thing that Hollywood is screwing up is the whole rating system, they purposely ruined the Die Hard franchise in the UK, by butchering it, so that kiddies were able to see it. Yes I paid to see it at the cinema, but by them screwing UK customers over by releasing a cut release, I for one will download an uncut version as soon as it becomes available.
    I was going to do that with Cloud Atlas, but Warner pulled the release (presumably to prevent people from importing it)

Nice to see someone blaming Hollywood for cutting films rather than the BBFC (There seem to be a lot of misinformed people round here that believe it's BBFC's fault)...