Which iPad?

technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,172
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all

I've been toying with the idea of getting an iPad for some time.
Never really had any justification or need to get one.

My son is autistic and has responded very well to some fun apps on my iphone. I'm thinking an iPad would be even better.

So which one? I'm confused with all these generation ones.
The iPad air is the latest right?

I don't need a large hard drive with sim card, 4G etc. Just an iPad with Wifi for the internet and apps.

What should I consider going for?

thanks
TL

Comments

• KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The iPad Air is the latest model.

It sounds like you just need the wifi 16GB version for what you want to use it for.
    http://store.apple.com/uk/buy-ipad/ipad-air
  • technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply.

Ouch - £399.
    I don't suppose I'll get that cheaper anywhere else eh?

I may need to wait a month or two for the purchase.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply.

Ouch - £399.

You can get the iPad 2 new for £329. It is slower with a lower resolution screen, but still does the job.

You can also see if the iPad 4 is still available. It isn't as thin and light as the Air, but might actually be a little more robust for that.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's for your son, why not look at the iPad Mini 16GB wifi - it's smaller and lighter, but still really usable for games, web browsing etc.

Basic 16GB mini, non Retina is £249 from Apple. Looks like Argos are currently selling for £219.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the iPad Mini something you'd be interested in?
    £219 from Argos atm.
    (16GB/Wifi/1Gen version)

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1432543.htm
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all.

The mini is nice but would prefer the larger screen.
    Thanks for all the info, its appreciated :)
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    If price is an issue you could look at Android tablets as well if the apps you want are available
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »
    £219 from Argos atm.
    (16GB/Wifi/1Gen version)

Bought that one.
    Very happy with it :)
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »
    £219 from Argos atm.
    (16GB/Wifi/1Gen version)

That's actually a good price for that, At the RRP its difficult to recommend over the retina.
  • victorslotvictorslot Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you really want an iPad and don't want to risk buying second hand take a look at the Apple refurb site http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad they come with the same Apple warranty as a new one but are cheaper but not as cheap as an Android Tablet. Just check out the differences, Apps and security issues with Android before you decide which to buy.
  • chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had a refurb iPad from Apple and it was like new, including new box, cables etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    You can get the iPad 2 new for £329. It is slower with a lower resolution screen, but still does the job.

You can also see if the iPad 4 is still available. It isn't as thin and light as the Air, but might actually be a little more robust for that.

Since the tablet is mostly for the child's use I'd go for the cheaper and sturdier iPad 2 option (though I'd hurry since according to this story it will soon be no longer available).
    That being said I've been lucky enough to get my hands on an Air and it's a brilliant little device, if you've got the cash it's definitely worth the splurge.
  • Rick_DavisRick_Davis Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since the tablet is mostly for the child's use I'd go for the cheaper and sturdier iPad 2 option (though I'd hurry since according to this story it will soon be no longer available).
    That being said I've been lucky enough to get my hands on an Air and it's a brilliant little device, if you've got the cash it's definitely worth the splurge.

If you can source iPad gen 3 go with that. Otherwise go with sean says, just go with Gen 3 if you can find one.
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Air all the way
  • Sideburns57Sideburns57 Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am obviously in thick mode......can someone please confirm these 2 are the same. As usual JL are higher, but am doubting myself in that one model is inferior to the other...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-IPAD-WI-FI-MD789FD-inch/dp/B00G4DSSN8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

http://www.johnlewis.com/apple-ipad-air-apple-a7-ios-7-9-7-wi-fi-32gb-space-grey/p669364#tabinfo-ratings
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am obviously in thick mode......can someone please confirm these 2 are the same. As usual JL are higher, but am doubting myself in that one model is inferior to the other...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-IPAD-WI-FI-MD789FD-inch/dp/B00G4DSSN8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

http://www.johnlewis.com/apple-ipad-air-apple-a7-ios-7-9-7-wi-fi-32gb-space-grey/p669364#tabinfo-ratings

Yeah both are the same apart from the colour.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    JL are selling at Apple's recommended price - Amazon at less than this!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »

Many thanks for your response.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,196
    Forum Member
    I dont get why people would pay over the odds for an iPad when there are sites like Smartfonestore.com that do refurb models which are a fraction of the price!

They've been engineer tested and checked over and come with a limited warranty and power cable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .......speaking personally I like brand new.
  • victorslotvictorslot Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    viewaskew wrote: »
    I dont get why people would pay over the odds for an iPad when there are sites like Smartfonestore.com that do refurb models which are a fraction of the price!

They've been engineer tested and checked over and come with a limited warranty and power cable.

In the case of John Lewis it's because they give a five year warranty on their electrical items, though not sure that this applies to the iPad. It's a peace of mind thing and for just a little more money.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply.

Ouch - £399.

just bought a 16GB, wi-fi, white, iPad 3 off ebay for £250. Came with case, extra charger, HDMI cable and screen protector. All in original packaging and you won't be able to tell it wasn't new.

Just keep looking, decent ones do pop up. And check gumtree and facebook as well. For example just saw a 16GB iPad2, no box or charger (its probably nicked) going for £170 on local facebook group. Charger and cable are around £15.

(btw, I would of course tell you to get nexus 7 or hudl, lol)
  • chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    with regards to buying refurb iPads, I've no idea why people by refurb iPads from other retailers when Apple themselves sell refurb models on their online store for very good prices. They also come as like brand new with new box/screen/cables etc.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    victorslot wrote: »
    In the case of John Lewis it's because they give a five year warranty on their electrical items, though not sure that this applies to the iPad.
    It's 5 years on TVs! iPads get (normally) 2 years (but they increased this to 3 for a while around Christmas time)

JL will price-match as well (but not against web-only retailers)
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    chandlerp wrote: »
    I've had a refurb iPad from Apple and it was like new, including new box, cables etc.

I did the same - you can get them direct form Apple or Currys I saved £90 on the normal price.

If you want an Ipad it depends if you will just use it at home (on wifi) or on the move. I bought one with mobile cellular access - as its more useful. A mini is more portable - it fits in your jacket or coat pocket but clearly the screen is smaller.

Its been a godsend to be able to know when the next bus is coming in the winter weather!

But there are other tablets - cos Apple aren't cheap!