What gaming headset?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
Forum Member
Hi there, was looking to spend some money (£300 tops) on a top end headset, think I've got it down to a few options just was wondering if anyone had experiences or advice on my choices or is there anything I've missed.

Astro A50 or A40,
Steelseries H Wireless or
Astro Mixamp Pro combined with Sennheiser Game Zero or PC 350.

Not terribly fussed if it's wired or wireless, I just want to spend my money wisely and be happy with the performance of what I buy.

Cheers.

Comments

• 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    I was recemntly looking at similar options as you, particularly the Astro A50's. Wireless was pretty important to me though. I ended up going with Turtle Beach XP510 as I would only be using them with Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

I've also had good past experience with TB products and they offer software than allows for a high level of customisation. If you're hooked up a decent amp won't matter too much but I can safely say they are the best set of headhones I've used, particularly in terms of low sub-bass and the surround soundstage, but there was a fair bit of messing about to get it how I liked. Dual band 5ghz also means not a single bit of interference even if my laptop is maxing out the wireless bandwidth of my hub.

Just watch as many reviews as you can and take particular note of the comfort factor, which is the most important thing when it comes to headsets. If your eas are too big or the cups are too small then some might not be suitable. Good luck.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that, there was a TB headset getting released later this year which is totally wireless think it was the Stealth 500x, no need for chat cable apparently. However, not sure I can wait.

Comfort big factor for me too, cheers again for input.
    Forum Member
    Well the XP510's chat is completely wireless via the bluetooth, I forgot to mention. It comes with a little plug in adaptor for the 360 controller, it also allows you to stream music from your PC or take a phone call etc. It should also be wireless with the X1, but you will have to plug in two adaptors, I recall TB saying they were making (or have made by now) a custom adaptor for the XP510. So if you're not much of a 360 gamer then the upcoming range will no doubt suits your needs well.

I'd be interested in knowing what headset you choose, it's quite hard knowing which one to buy.
    Forum Member
    I've purchased a used pair of A50's for £140, I'm going to see how I get on with these and if I don't like them I'll sell them on and try again. Should be with me by Monday.
    Forum Member
    Excellent price and not a bad idea. You really do need to try before you buy with headsets and that's a good way of doing it. The A50's have a really good reputation for comfort, you should be happy with them. There was a problem at launch wth the chat but I believe it's long been sorted out now. Let us know how you get on anyway.
    Forum Member
    Picking them up from post office tomorrow, i'll probs give it a week and let you know how i find them.
    Forum Member
    Got this headset hooked up now. What is disappointing is there is no easy way of switching between XB1 and PS4, anyways after playing a few rounds of BF4 and Titanfall I was initially underwhelmed especially playing Titanfall, was expecting to gain an advantage i.e. hearing footsteps etc but realise this may be just be style of game as in BF4 i could clearly tell where footsteps were coming from and which direction shots were being fired from. I have to say though having only a pair of Sony PS3 Bluetooth Wireless Headphones (£80) to compare them too could I really tell a difference in quality? possibly not imo. Glad I didn't buy them new for £250, but I think at £140 I can just about sleep at night, still maybe could have bought the Sony Gold Headset for £70 and used them on XB1 as a wired stereo setup for a somewhat similar experience.

I will certainly be going to test a pair of the Turtle Beach Stealth 500x's on release as a totally wireless solution.
  • Ed_PhelanEd_Phelan Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    This may sound like a stupid question but if, hypothetically, one could legitimately pass off any purchases from http://www.headsets.com as a legitimate business expense, might he potentially be able to find a nice headset suitable for some BF4 action?

All these Sennheiser and Plantronics headsets, would they work with my PlayStation? Would they be any good at all?

Genuine question
    Forum Member
    Ed_Phelan wrote: »
    All these Sennheiser and Plantronics headsets, would they work with my PlayStation? Would they be any good at all?

PS3 or PS4?

Btw, I sold the Astro A50s on for £160, purchased the Sony Gold Wireless Headset for £70. Much lighter, more comfortable to wear, easier to store and sound performance for me is great for the price.
    Forum Member
    Bought a pair of Turtle Beach Stealth 500x on Friday and tested them for around 5 hours, paid £199.99. Headset is very lightweight and almost toy like, doesn't feel like a premium product. Sits very loosely on the head and ear cups are very small and your ears are right up against the speakers which I found uncomfortable and after just 2hrs my ears were bright red. (I'd say I have a small head and average ear size, this set defo ain't for those with large nuggets and ears). Sound quality was nowhere near the standard of the Astro A50's imo, certainly couldn't tell they were 7.1 dts. Also had volume on highest setting and although loud enough for me might not be for anyone else, mic quality seemed really good though.

I'm no audio geek btw, just thought i'd leave some feedback here as trying to pick a headset for the xbox one has been a right pain. I personally think this headset should have been pitched at no more than £149.99 certainly not worth the £199.99 I paid, hence the reason I took it back.

Might try a set of the 2nd gen Astro A50's next.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just use the official stereo headphones.

Only stereo, obviously, but they're comfortable and well made, and cheap. It's also handy only needing to plug them into the controller instead of having to also plug them into the console.
    Forum Member
    bb82 wrote: »
    Bought a pair of Turtle Beach Stealth 500x on Friday and tested them for around 5 hours, paid £199.99. Headset is very lightweight and almost toy like, doesn't feel like a premium product. Sits very loosely on the head and ear cups are very small and your ears are right up against the speakers which I found uncomfortable and after just 2hrs my ears were bright red. (I'd say I have a small head and average ear size, this set defo ain't for those with large nuggets and ears). Sound quality was nowhere near the standard of the Astro A50's imo, certainly couldn't tell they were 7.1 dts. Also had volume on highest setting and although loud enough for me might not be for anyone else, mic quality seemed really good though.

I'm no audio geek btw, just thought i'd leave some feedback here as trying to pick a headset for the xbox one has been a right pain. I personally think this headset should have been pitched at no more than £149.99 certainly not worth the £199.99 I paid, hence the reason I took it back.

Might try a set of the 2nd gen Astro A50's next.

Well my XP510's didn't sound all that impressive when I got them either, in fact I initially thought I'd made a terrible mistake. However the software (and frmware updates) changed things considerably. So bear in mind if they are new then firmware updates can work wonders, but also if there is any software on their site to help you tune them then give it a try, I would say that is essential in getting the sound that you want as well as allowing a little bit of time for the headset to 'warm up' as it were
    Forum Member
    I am very impatient I confess, I did do all the updates via PC tho. Just using my PS4 Gold Stereo set for now via chat adapter.
    Forum Member
    Well if they weren't conmfortable then you done the right thing! Not sure why TB have decreased the size of their ear cups, the earlier models were perfect.

I don't think I could game now without a headset, there really is no going back for me. If you're happy with what you have though that's what matters the most. If you don't mind wired, or feel you might be able to adapt then the Astro A40's are considered a classic gaming headset.
    Forum Member
    Scored a pretty nice deal on a pair of 7.1 Tritton Warheads that were bought as a pressie for a young lad that owns a 360E, something they're incompatible with due to the lack of on-board optical.

So I thought I'd give them a shot, not that I expect them to sound better than the XP510's but I just LOVE the look of them, plus while the chat is limited to the 360 they are still unique in being the only headset that's hardcoded for full wireless since it has the same receiver chip that's in the official controller embedded inside. I'll update when I get them with how I find the sound etc.
    Forum Member
    Scored a pretty nice deal on a pair of 7.1 Tritton Warheads that were bought as a pressie for a young lad that owns a 360E, something they're incompatible with due to the lack of on-board optical.

So I thought I'd give them a shot, not that I expect them to sound better than the XP510's but I just LOVE the look of them, plus while the chat is limited to the 360 they are still unique in being the only headset that's hardcoded for full wireless since it has the same receiver chip that's in the official controller embedded inside. I'll update when I get them with how I find the sound etc.

Yeh let me know mate. I looked at warheads and thought they looked good, but obviously for the 360 and not one.

Can't believe Turtle Beach have the exclusive rights to wireless chat to the xbox one then bring out a headset that's nowhere near the quality and premium feel of the headset they brought out for the ps4 (elite 800).
    Forum Member
    After sufferung the most horrendous bloody flu ever I can now at least give my impressions on Tritton Warhead 7.1 headset.

First of all I didn't realise MS have rebranded this headset as an official option for 360, excellent choice given how it's the only one to have full wireless chat integration (without any add-ons, just pick up the controller and go), and from looking around the prices are more than reasonable. I picked up mine for around £70 and they were opened but brand new.

Sound quality is not the best and there's a total lack of customisation (could be a good thing for some?), put it this way I don't think I'd choose to listen to music with them but they appear to be more designed around the amount of sound you can hear rather than it's quality. There's three main EQ's, one for Music, Game and Movie. Overall there's a bit more mid-range than I usually like (prefer a slightly smoother sound) but they do an excellent job of picking up every detail that's in the game world and in that respect you can't ask for much more. The surround effect is convincing, the bass is excellent, I mean it really does kick out some if you want it to. The 5.8GHz signal ensures there's no inteference, even if a nearby wireless signal is being sent intensively, however there is a slight audiable hiss during quiet moments, unlikle the TB XP510 which you cannot tell if they are on or off, a minor annoyance.

The battery solution is excellent, two battery packs, one in the reciever base that charges and one that you use, then you simply hotswap them when required. A battery indicator on the front of the reciever tells you if it's charged up. Incidently due to the internal 360 hardware that's inside this headset it allows for an additional battery indicator within the OS guide menu also, this sits next to the regular controller indicator and tells you how much charge your current battery has. Nice touch! Can you see why these are an official option now?

Comfort factor is a 10/10, these are proibably the most comfy headsets I've worn yet, well padded ear cups that surround the entire ear and while they do push into the head harder than any TB I've used, it's not in any way uncomfortable over long sessions and they isolate outside sound better too. Build quality is excellent also, a high quality product, beautiful gloss finish and the futuristic pyramid reciever looks class. I highly recommend them. :)