Options

The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 58)

Comments

• Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,280
    Forum Member
    Kind of appropriate that I'm going through this music from the movies playlist whilst munching a bag of pick & mix. It wasn't even a party for me and yet I seem to have come home with a bag full of cake and sweets. Anyway I digress... let's see how quickly my sugar high evaporates.

Natalie Merchant (One Fine Day) – I've just chomped down on an aniseed tablet sweet and it tastes just as rank as this song, next!

Hoku (Legally Blonde) – The only pink sweetie in my bag, the pink shrimp, must be eaten in honour. Perfect day for a perfect film. Pretty much from Legally Blonde to Oscar winner, who'd have thunk it.

Marianne Faithfull (Thelma and Louise) – Has Faithfull had a skinful? I can barely even make out what she's singing.

John Parr (St Elmo’s Fire) – Well at least it's got that 80s kick to it. Bit like the yellow and orange sweets, not my first choice but I can eat them anyway.

Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes (Dirty Dancing) – Never got the love for this film, he's a dance instructor and she's essentially a minor, there'd be laws against that nowadays. Bit bored of this karaoke fodder now.

Lara Fabian (Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within) – obscure way of getting an ESC link. The song makes me want to open my wrists though.

LeAnn Rimes (Coyote Ugly) – Now this takes me back. Try any of that in my local and you'd be barred for life.

24th Foot plus Zulu ensemble (Zulu) – Zulu was my dad's favourite, sadly for whoever sent this I didn't inherit the same appreciation for war films and the dirge songs they evoke.

Diana Ross (The Land Before Time) – I loved these films, of which there was about a million when I was a little'un.

Unkle (The X Files: I Want to Believe) – Well at least it adds a bit of grunt to the playlist.

Simple Minds (The Breakfast Club) – Classic 80s, just like the film, which is an absolute must watch if you haven't.

Kenny Loggins (Footloose) – This just reminds me of Romy and Michele's High School Reunion when they sing this in the car, but don't fully know all the words. :D

Bette Midler (Beaches) – It works for the film, but if I never hear it again it will be too soon.

Jon Boden (About Time) – Stabbing myself twice with the scissors trying to get the wrapper off my lollipop, was more enjoyable. The Ellie Goulding version is slightly more tolerable.

Madonna (League of Their Own) – "This Used To Be My Playground" I bet that's what Madge thinks every time she looks at the charts nowadays. :D Not really a fun week this week is it...

Fall Out Boy (Big Hero 6) – Patrick is giving it some Adam Levine realness on this.

Philip Oakey & Giorgio Moder (Electric Dreams) – So naff it's good.

Annie Lennox (The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King) – This is going to make me want to do a LOTR movie marathon.

Cilla Black (Please Sir) – Irritatingly twee, next.

John Cafferty (Rocky IV) – This scene would probably work just as well with Sinitta's So Macho. :D

Cat Stevens (Rushmore) – Don't be surprised if your baby issues a restraining order, what a creep.

Ben E. King (Stand By Me) – Naff wedding song.

Dashboard Confessional (Spiderman 2) – Suits the nerdy emo, Peter Parker this.

Lauryn Hill (Sister Act 2) – Classic Sister Act once you get through the first 75 seconds.

Roxette (Pretty Woman) – Wouldn't be movie songs without the power ballad.

Carmen Twillie (The Lion King) – Iconic song for the greatest Disney film of all time. As a kid I would watch this, rewind the VHS (google it kids) and then watch it again almost on a loop.

The Verve (Cruel Intentions) – The whole Britpop scene was never to my taste. The film was good though.

Aqua (Sliding Doors) – While I prefer their more bonkers offerings, there's nowt wrong with a touch of classy Aqua.

Hopefully there's 10 there I can vote for. :blush: Movie songs just aren't my thing, I get easily fed up of songs at the best of times and songs in films just end up being overplayed to death.
  • Options
    spindiddlyspindiddly Posts: 4,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Classy Aqua?

I don't understand this 'classy Aqua' you speak of. :D
  • Options
    nick1990nick1990 Posts: 4,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well at least mine wasn't the only one you didn't like Lisa! 😀

I would say it's the opposite for me as I don't actually watch many films as my attention wains, so I don't really pay much attention to the songs, think I'm going to enjoy the playlist a lot more than you!
  • Options
    Chickens hitChickens hit Posts: 26,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cuishla wrote: »
    2nd) Jon Henrik Fjällgren - Daniel's Joik (93 points - spindiddly)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL9_INg9u-E

12) Only_You, nunaney, Drew Peacock, thms
    10) Ulfgeirr
    8) steeleuro_wolf, ESC Ross
    7)
    6) 21stCenturyBoy
    5) Cuishla, Jaccobabe
    4)
    3) sbrum1984
    2)
    1)

1st) Alvaro Estrella - All In My Head (103 points – Chickens hit)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfj-8fLhMy8

12) NightFox_Dancer, Pandora., brb
    10) steeleuro_wolf, stanld03
    8) Only_You, Jaccobabe, nick1990
    7) ESC Ross
    6) rhumble
    5) spindiddly
    4) nunaney
    3)
    2)
    1) TerryP

Congratulations to Chickens hit for winning this week, seems to be making a habit of winning a contest I host here. Well done to spindiddly on coming second with a fantastic entry, I hadn't heard that before either.

Thanks to all for participating this week :)

Really surprised at this win was expecting Ola to walk it. Did think I'd do okay after the reviews, but only expected Top 5 at the very best. Thanks to all the voters for the points and cheers to Cuishla for the hosting. :)
  • Options
    sbrum1984sbrum1984 Posts: 6,466
    Forum Member
    15 from 26 voters voted for this, the most of the week. Too many lower points though

13th) Desi Slava - Start Afresh (64 points - sbrum1984)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M45Ik2CW1iU

12)
    10) Chickens hit
    8) BBAnne
    7) brb
    6) spindiddly
    5) Ulfgeirr, avb
    4) Lisa.B, rhumble
    3) nunaney, NightFox_Dancer, ESC Ross, nick1990
    2)
    1) Cuishla, stanld03, weedydiamond

I left my choice a bit late and was going to request something by Max Barskih but suddenly remembered Desi Slava. Thank you to those that voted.
    BBAnne wrote: »
    This was truly amazing! You were cruelly robbed brummy

I agree, Anne, although not as robbed as she was in her NF!

Well done on the win Chickens and great hosting Cuishla.

Belated thanks to phil for the week before as well as thanks for the votes for Ivy.

Just working my way through the playlist. So far so good. Sorry my inbox was full when you replied to my entry request, Pandora...can I just check if I got my 1st or 2nd choice please, as whatever one isn't mine is getting some big points?!
  • Options
    Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sbrum1984 wrote: »
    Just working my way through the playlist. So far so good. Sorry my inbox was full when you replied to my entry request, Pandora...can I just check if I got my 1st or 2nd choice please, as whatever one isn't mine is getting some big points?!
    You got your 1st choice. :)
  • Options
    sbrum1984sbrum1984 Posts: 6,466
    Forum Member
    Pandora. wrote: »
    You got your 1st choice. :)

Thank you. Even though I think my 2nd choice is going to be challenging for the win, I'm so pleased to get my 1st choice as it's a little bit of a masterpiece.

p.s. This playlist is good. Tough one to order points.
  • Options
    Whitehouse95Whitehouse95 Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spindiddly wrote: »
    Classy Aqua?

I don't understand this 'classy Aqua' you speak of. :D

'Turn Back Time' is a brilliant song to be fair and I think it's classy.
  • Options
    BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Especially for big bro geek - in case you were wondering what your boy is up to now, he's a Jersey Boy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xT6mVqr_CY
  • Options
    big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Especially for big bro geek - in case you were wondering what your boy is up to now, he's a Jersey Boy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xT6mVqr_CY

Great find!!! Still as sexy as ever I see:p and oh what a voice.....

I go to bed a happy geek
  • Options
    ESC RossESC Ross Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    27th) Sabīne Berezina - Esmu šī nakts (22 points- ESC Ross)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-zSOT35gjU&feature=youtu.be

12)
    10)
    8) sbrum1984
    7)
    6)
    5)
    4)
    3) Cuishla, BBAnne, thms
    2) rhumble, Ulfgeirr
    1) spindiddly

Disappointed with The result, but thanks to those who voted. Congrats to Chickens, and great hosting from cuishla.
  • Options
    steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only_You wrote: »

A semi-final commentator who sounds like he actually wants to be there wouldn't do any harm either I reckon.
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only_You wrote: »

i don't think we do. the winning song was naff. what we need is a naff song to win eurovision.. ;-)
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've said it before they should get some really good song writers on board to write the song and have a say in the act to sing it even if it was a complete unknown singer like an internal YCNY 09
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good Afternoon from Ireland, I am now accepting submissions for heat 3 of Fantasy 2015.

Hopefully we can get 30 entries again like heat 2 for a decent contest.

I will be accepting entries until Sunday at 5pm, so get them in. Remember to check the wiki before sending them over please!

I will try and get back to everyone as soon as I can.

Enjoy!
  • Options
    penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    I've said it before they should get some really good song writers on board to write the song and have a say in the act to sing it even if it was a complete unknown singer like an internal YCNY 09

They should just outsource it to BASCA like they used to.
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thms wrote: »
    i don't think we do. the winning song was naff. what we need is a naff song to win eurovision.. ;-)

I'm going to make it official...

thms to represent the UK in Sockholm 2016!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good 8 entries so far within the first 4 hours or so!

Lets get it up to that 30!

Sadly alwaysanigel is barred from entering this one due to his non vote in Heat 2. Sorry Nigel!

But lets get those entries up!

Hopefully everyone who has PM'd me has a confirmation, if not please do let me know.
  • Options
    BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will get an entry to you nick, I'm just going through the usual consternations and lack of self belief :D
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,280
    Forum Member
    nick1990 wrote: »
    A good 8 entries so far within the first 4 hours or so!

Lets get it up to that 30!

Sadly alwaysanigel is barred from entering this one due to his non vote in Heat 2. Sorry Nigel!

But lets get those entries up!

Hopefully everyone who has PM'd me has a confirmation, if not please do let me know.

It was KozmicBlues that was the non-voter in Heat 2.
  • Options
    BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lets see if I can manage to get out the bottom 5 this time, you would never guess that I used to be good at this :D haah
  • Options
    BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will get an entry to you nick, I'm just going through the usual consternations and lack of self belief :D

Know the feeling Anne, shall we aim for a 1-2 this week :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    It was KozmicBlues that was the non-voter in Heat 2.

Thanks for that Lisa! I swear Phil said it was Nigel!

Anyway...Nigel...get on it! Free to enter!

I'm in Dublin tomorrow night, then back in my Manchester home from Friday evening in time to get up at 2am to watch the World Athletics!

Couple of random eurovision moments over here though,

number 1, while driving (in a shittty hire car...grrr... because I'm under 25....grrr) RTE 2FM played RLAP while talking about beards! And today I got a 30 sec clip of MJH singing We've got the world on the guitar on another random station!

Combined with the Eurovision reference on bake off tonight it was a rather eurovision day!

And yes...I did order room service dinner tonight just so I could watch bake off... :D
This discussion has been closed.