Labour elite horrified by Corbyn's popularity

13»

Comments

• nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Even people who aren't interested in politics can recognise Corbyn.

Yes, and if the Blairite elite are seen to try - or actually manage to - sabotage Corbyns votes, they'll wind up like the Lib-Dems.

Until a few weeks ago I'd never heard of Corbyn, and I still don't know what he stands for or if he's a man of his word. But what I do know is that he's scared the hell out of the We Love Tony Club. And that is a good start.
  • trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andykn wrote: »
    Look at the narrow majority the Tories got. I think they lost those few crucial extra votes not because of Miliband's policies but because he didn't come across well enough to enough of the public.

So you were expecting the Tories to do better than they did?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, and if the Blairite elite are seen to try - or actually manage to - sabotage Corbyns votes, they'll wind up like the Lib-Dems.

Until a few weeks ago I'd never heard of Corbyn, and I still don't know what he stands for or if he's a man of his word. But what I do know is that he's scared the hell out of the We Love Tony Club. And that is a good start.

Yes, the same "we love Tony club" that many on here were championing to beat the "evil" "vile" and "cruel" Tories and their "austerity". Now you're saying they were wrong, and Labour needs to lurch further to the left.
  • andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trunkster wrote: »
    So you were expecting the Tories to do better than they did?

No, it's a post hoc analysis.
  • theidtheid Posts: 6,053
    Forum Member
    it's all factually correct

Incorrect. It's an opinion.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Labour failed miserably at the last election. Now, one of the Labour leadership candidates appears to be popular. But, the Labour elite are horrified by this popularity and are attempting to sabotage Corbyn's campaign to be leader. They claim they think a Corbyn-led Labour would be unelectable, but Labour are currently unelectable, and Corbyn is popular, so that claim is a lie.

Popular with who? Can you point me to any voter polling suggesting he's a popular leader of the opposition who could do well in a GE? Nigel Farage is a popular bloke.. he couldn't even win his seat at the General Election.

COMRES found 58% of people questioned will not vote Labour if Corbyn is leading the party. That's not popular. That's decidedly unpopular.
  • theidtheid Posts: 6,053
    Forum Member
    Surely the merest hint of an "elite" is anathema to Labour?
  • Mark_Jones9Mark_Jones9 Posts: 12,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Popular with who? Can you point me to any voter polling suggesting he's a popular leader of the opposition who could do well in a GE? Nigel Farage is a popular bloke.. he couldn't even win his seat at the General Election.

COMRES found 58% of people questioned will not vote Labour if Corbyn is leading the party. That's not popular. That's decidedly unpopular.
    In the 2015 general election 63.1% of those who voted did not vote for the Conservatives led by Cameron, and including those that did not vote for anyone 75.6% of the electorate did not vote for the Conservatives led by Cameron. Should the Conservatives get rid of Cameron as he is decidedly unpopular?
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what Burnham was saying they are more worried about the Tories infiltrating the Labour party, which I can't say I blame them, why on earth are MP's, Councillors and Tory media commentators claiming to support Labour, and encouraging Tory members/supporters to do the same

The Labour party made the mistake of giving everyone a chance to vote as long as they said they were Labour supporters, because they forgot the Tories don't play fair

It says more about the Tory MP's, Councillors and Tory media commentators who have signed up as supporters than it does about Labour,and once again they have proven that the Tories can't be trusted
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    It is interesting to see people say that Corbyn's brand of politics won't win elections when Livingstone won the London Mayoral election twice.

Labour are quite happy to feather their nests at the expense of the working class so it is no surprise like a left-winger like Corbyn has energised the Labour members. The Labour elite are scared that a genuine left-winger would end their gravy train.

How would he end this alleged gravy train?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've even seen it claimed (by Laurie Penny) that "For the first time in years, Labour is popular and interesting, ..." (because of Corbyn).

Is there any evidence that Labour has gained popularity? :confused:

She also claims that Corbyn's principles once put him "on the moderate left of Labour". When was that? He was a Bennite.
  • JayyKJayyK Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    Joey Jones who has been following Corbyn on his campaign said the popularity of Corbyn blew him away and he compared it to the rise of Strugeon during the Scottish Referendum, and she now has approval ratings that are the highest for any politician for several decades.

Adam Boulton claimed Corbyn's support caught all the media off guard which is evident as The Mail & The Telegraph who wanted its supporters to sign up and vote Corbyn to make Labour unelectable have now pleaded with their readership not to vote him at all costs. They have seen how popular he has become from following him around and its scared them. Corbyn has thousands of people at his rallies everynight and most of them aren't even able to vote in the leadership campaign. Burnham is only speaking to 500 people at his rallies.

See the difference?
  • John_TraynorJohn_Traynor Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    Not really, the Tories only got a narrow majority.

Labour are only "unelectable" until they gat a leader that people will vote for. .

The voting figures for 2015 suggest otherwise. The facts I state about numbers in my blog are taken from the actual voting figures. As you can see here: BBC GE2105 results, and as I said in my blog, in England Labour got less than half the votes of Tories and their companion parties (LD & UKIP) combined.

Re. the leader comment. Voters care about policies, not about the identity of the leader.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JayyK wrote: »
    Joey Jones who has been following Corbyn on his campaign said the popularity of Corbyn blew him away and he compared it to the rise of Strugeon during the Scottish Referendum, and she now has approval ratings that are the highest for any politician for several decades.

Adam Boulton claimed Corbyn's support caught all the media off guard which is evident as The Mail & The Telegraph who wanted its supporters to sign up and vote Corbyn to make Labour unelectable have now pleaded with their readership not to vote him at all costs. They have seen how popular he has become from following him around and its scared them. Corbyn has thousands of people at his rallies everynight and most of them aren't even able to vote in the leadership campaign. Burnham is only speaking to 500 people at his rallies.

See the difference?

What about it? Michael Foot spoke to enthusiastic rallies too.

Is there some evidence that a Corbyn-led Labour party would win the next general election?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JayyK wrote: »

See the difference?

Thousands of labour activists are not the GBP, It's called preaching to the converted.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the 2015 general election 63.1% of those who voted did not vote for the Conservatives led by Cameron, and including those that did not vote for anyone 75.6% of the electorate did not vote for the Conservatives led by Cameron. Should the Conservatives get rid of Cameron as he is decidedly unpopular?

If Cameron were standing in a leadership contest and he was the most unpopular with existing Tory voters.. then yes he should go.

"Corbyn has the highest proportion of Labour voters saying they wouldn’t vote for the party if he were leader (26%, vs 20% for Burnham, 22% for Cooper and 24% for Kendall)."
  • andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The voting figures for 2015 suggest otherwise. The facts I state about numbers in my blog are taken from the actual voting figures. As you can see here: BBC GE2105 results, and as I said in my blog, in England Labour got less than half the votes of Tories and their companion parties (LD & UKIP) combined.

Re. the leader comment. Voters care about policies, not about the identity of the leader.

You are engaging in pointless numbers. Even if you discount Scotland in the hope that they are independent by the next election in 2020 you still have to include Wales.

And if the Lib Dems are a "companion party" to the Tories then the Greens are to Labour.

Edit: Some voters do care about the leader. Hence all the fuss over the bacon sarnie.
  • paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    Veri wrote: »
    What about it? Michael Foot spoke to enthusiastic rallies too.

Is there some evidence that a Corbyn-led Labour party would win the next general election?

Neil Kinnock made "victory" speech to 10.000 enthusiastic supporters in 1992 , boy did he get that one wrong :D
    Forum Member
    Edit: Some voters do care about the leader. Hence all the fuss over the bacon sarnie.

You're confusing voters with dumbed-down media tripe.
    Forum Member
    Labour know they have no hope of winning an election without change, but their fear is that a Corbyn-led Labour might win an election with policies that attack the gangsterism of capitalism. Ultimately, the Labour elite will do what the moneymen want regardless of whether it is good for Labour.