The Ratings Thread (Part 65)

Comments

• Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    Overnights.tv ‏@overnightstv 4s4 seconds ago
    #britainsspendingsecrets at 9pm on BBC1 dropped slightly from Ep1 to 4.7m/23.9% but still won the slot @TheGardenTV http://www.overnights.tv

World's Busiest Railway might have caused some of the drop for Britain's Spending Secrets.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im slightly puzzled by the opinion that the BBC putting Strictly at 9pm would not be what ITV want. I'm sure they'd prefer that to a clash with X Factor. Downton is on its last series. The buzz is there and it would hold up just fine. Even if it didn't do as well it'd hardly be disaster.
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    BBC 1
    13:45: Doctors - 1.28m (16.5%)
    17:15: Pointless - 3.16m (27.0%)
    18:00: BBC News at Six - 4.75m (32.0%)
    18:30: BBC Regional News - 5.16m (32.0%)
    19:00: The One Show - 3.43m (19.0%)
    19:30: Pound Shop Wars - 3.21m (17.0%)
    20:00: The Great British Bake Off - 9.57m (43.0%)
    21:00: Britain’s Spending Secrets - 4.74m (23.9%)
    22:00: BBC News at Ten - 5.24m (31.0%)

BBC 2
    20:00: Horizon - 720k (3.2%)
    21:00: The World’s Busiest Railway 2015 - 1.64m (8.3%)

ITV
    19:00: Emmerdale - 5.91m (33.5%), +1 - 207k (1.0%)
    19:30: Coronation Street - 6.69m (34.6%), +1 - 254k (1.1%)
    20:00: Foyle’s War - 2.08m (9.9%), +1 - 192k (1.1%)

Channel 4
    18:30: Hollyoaks - 846k (5.3%), +1 - 55k (0.3%)
    20:00: Posh Pawn - 1.00m (4.5%), +1 - 165k (0.8%)
    21:00: One Born Every Minute - 1.20m (6.1%), +1 - 224k (1.5%)

Channel 5
    13:15: Home and Away - 306k (4.0%)
    13:45: Neighbours - 726k (9.3%)
    17:30: Neighbours - 617k (5.0%)
    18:00: Home and Away - 479k (3.3%)
    20:00: The Nightmare Neighbour Next Door - 1.07m (4.8%), +1 - 109k (0.5%)
    21:00: Benefits Cheat - 1.15m (5.8%), +1 - 77k (0.5%)
    22:00: Wentworth Prison - 589k (4.0%), +1 - 18k (0.2%)

BBC 3
    21:00: Don’t Tell the Bride - 499k (2.5%)
    23:00: Family Guy - 519k (5.5%)
    23:25: Family Guy - 448k (6.0%)

ITV 2
    16:50: The Jeremy Kyle Show - 408k (3.8%)

E4
    19:00: Hollyoaks - 488k (2.8%), +1 - 183k (0.8%)
    20:30: The Big Bang Theory - 422k (1.9%)

5*
    18:30: Home and Away - 420k (2.6%)

5USA
    21:00: Chicago PD - 401k (2.0%)

Sky 1
    21:00: The Force: Manchester - 214k (1.4%)

Sky Sports 1
    19:30: Live Capital One Cup - 426k (2.1%)

BT Sport Europe
    19:00: Live Brugge v Manchester United - 453k (2.3%)

Sources - DS, ITV Media
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Im slightly puzzled by the opinion that the BBC putting Strictly at 9pm would not be what ITV want. I'm sure they'd prefer that to a clash with X Factor. Downton is on its last series. The buzz is there and it would hold up just fine. Even if it didn't do as well it'd hardly be disaster.

Could it not also be said that as licence fee payers, we should expect the best value for the money that we have given. That would imply that the best slots for the top rated BBC programmes irrespective of commercial decisions.

How could the BBC show that the cost of Strictly is worth the lower ratings for a programme thrown out at possibly 5.30pm on a Saturday.
  • Options
    ryan_burnryan_burn Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    BT sports coverage of man utd's champions league game on there new freeview channel not in the ITV media top 10.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No rating for the Man Utd match on BT Sport Showcase? (The free channel not BT Sport Europe).

EDIT: looks like it was a miniscule rating. Goodbye Champions League. Nobody cares anymore. Hope UEFA are happy now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done Lewie! :D
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Markynotts wrote: »
    Could it not also be said that as licence fee payers, we should expect the best value for the money that we have given. That would imply that the best slots for the top rated BBC programmes irrespective of commercial decisions.

How could the BBC show that the cost of Strictly is worth the lower ratings for a programme thrown out at possibly 5.30pm on a Saturday.

I think ITV are being absolute scumbags on this issue. They have caused at least 6 direct clashes and they are moaning about the BBC clashing with them. Do they think we are all stupid?

I really hope those 2 hour Sundays sink without trace and there is a real chance they will I think.
  • Options
    murrkinmurrkin Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Could anyone tell me the ratings for yesterdays Rebound?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    I think ITV are being absolute scumbags on this issue. They have caused at least 6 direct clashes and they are moaning about the BBC clashing with them. Do they think we are all stupid?

I really hope those 2 hour Sundays sink without trace and there is a real chance they will I think.

Having seen the proposed schedules, especially those 2 hour blocks, ITV are going to be looking at some low numbers. It seems to imply that they believe the show is screwed this year due to the Rugby, so they are going to actively blame the BBC for the scheduling of Strictly as the prime excuse.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Sunday clashes are due to the rugby World Cup, and in any case Sunday SCD is never a big deal either, it's just results, it's recorded and it's not as if BBC1 isn't strong on Sunday's so will win in the first place. 95% of articles about ratings focus on Saturdays so it's Saturday's where the focus is.

I've been away so I've just ploughed through many pages of people saying the same thing, each time more extreme and illogical than the last.

I'm still not sure how moving the SCD launch show 15 mins later to clash with TXF is some how 'better serving licence fee payers' which seems to be what the crux of the matter is.

Also with the BBC funding debate going on you'd think they'd play safe and not rock any boats, until that all blows over, particularly as one of the main arguments against the BBC is how it effects commercial entities (across all media), surely they are just playing into the hands of those who want the BBC to be a shadow if it's former self?

Those views are not views I hold by the way before I get the usual personal attacks,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strictly returns on Friday 25th/Saturday 26th September according to some reports.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a Bake Off breakdown from Hassaan.

20:00-20:15: 8.61m (40.0%)
    20:15-20:30: 9.58m (43.1%)
    20:30-20:45: 10.05m (44.5%)
    20:45-21:00: 10.05m (44.3%)
    murrkin wrote: »
    Could anyone tell me the ratings for yesterdays Rebound?

1.21m according to Hassaan, Pointless had 3.16m.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Interesting to see how the BBC schedule Strictly results. 6.20pm wouldn't be a bad slot for late September (/ early October?) but more intriguing would be 7pm. :-)
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You only have to read a few pages of this thread to work that one out.

I'm still amazed how personally some people are taking this.

'don't you dare schedule against my darling BBC!' :D

Let's be honest, this is all its about - BBC v ITV. Its not about how great the programmes are, or what great ratings they could post, or even lows, it all about the BBC v ITV.

I think we needs two seperate threads, one where we have a lighter tone about ratings, and this one where people can clash themselves over life threatening scheduling.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard Klein has defended ITV's factual performance at the ETVF, despite having more flops than hits, with some factual below 1.5m.

Despite the quality of some commissions, it does not do ITV well to have so many low rating factual series that nobody wants to watch. The BBC for BBC1 go for the larger audience with downmarket series such as Pound Shop Wars. This is what ITV should be aiming for with a mixture of the high quality and broader appeal.

ITV Entertainment dept might be producing flop after flop, but at least they have found hits with Ninja Warrior UK and Your Back In The Room. ITV factual has found zero, and even hit formats like LLF are dropping.
  • Options
    burbeburbe Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Interesting to see how the BBC schedule Strictly results. 6.20pm wouldn't be a bad slot for late September (/ early October?) but more intriguing would be 7pm. :-)

I think Strictly at 6:50pm would be best, followed by Countryfile and either a 90 minute drama or the usual Antiques Roadshow and 60 minute drama.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard Klein has defended ITV's factual performance at the ETVF, despite having more flops than hits, with some factual below 1.5m.

Despite the quality of some commissions, it does not do ITV well to have so many low rating factual series that nobody wants to watch. The BBC for BBC1 go for the larger audience with downmarket series such as Pound Shop Wars. This is what ITV should be aiming for with a mixture of the high quality and broader appeal.

ITV Entertainment dept might be producing flop after flop, but at least they have found hits with Ninja Warrior UK and Your Back In The Room. ITV factual has found zero, and even hit formats like LLF are dropping.

Has Richard Klein had any hits on his watch? I can't think of any.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Ninja Warrior UK was a purchased format rather than in house, and this is one of the reasons why some other ITV efforts are failing. The creative talent in this country has disappeared.

Both BBC and ITV are struggling and even the presenters of some LE shows can be part of the problem. A lot of the big LE hits have had hosts who knew how to handle an audience and contestants. They worked on stage and in working clubs. These days the hosts have no presence, as they are purely presenters doing a job. When things stumble on screen, you can see the panic as they try to behave like a comedian, but don't quite know how to bring things under control.

The original Catchphrase is one example we could use. It was a massive show with Roy Walker, but in the hands of Mulhern, it is dull and lifeless. The format is exactly the same but that sparkle has gone. Roy Walker knew his craft and was able to adapt week after week, to the different characters in front of him.

I think that if you could take a pretty standard format for an LE show, and use a good comedian as a host, it may stand a chance of success. Knowles, Mulhern and Vernon Kay are pulling down LE in this country.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    burbe wrote: »
    I think Strictly at 6:50pm would be best, followed by Countryfile and either a 90 minute drama or the usual Antiques Roadshow and 60 minute drama.

I like it, keeps the junctions neater, and gets a small headstart on TXF.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    JordyD wrote: »
    You only have to read a few pages of this thread to work that one out.

I'm still amazed how personally some people are taking this.

'don't you dare schedule against my darling BBC!' :D

Let's be honest, this is all its about - BBC v ITV. Its not about how great the programmes are, or what great ratings they could post, or even lows, it all about the BBC v ITV.

I think we needs two seperate threads, one where we have a lighter tone about ratings, and this one where people can clash themselves over life threatening scheduling.

To be fair this is a ratings thread so anything discussd is likely to be completely inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.

One thing I dont agree with you on though is surely it should be 'dont you dare schedule against my darling ITV' :D
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    No rating for the Man Utd match on BT Sport Showcase? (The free channel not BT Sport Europe).

EDIT: looks like it was a miniscule rating. Goodbye Champions League. Nobody cares anymore. Hope UEFA are happy now.

Behave, it was only a qualifying game which was virtually all over before it started.

Its the biggest club competition in football, despite what SKY may say.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    I like it, keeps the junctions neater, and gets a small headstart on TXF.

ITV can't say much if BBC One leaves Strictly where it is but they'll be offering an open goal to the gutter press if they switch it to 6.50pm.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Just saw the X factor schedule. 5 weeks of Boot Camp/ 6 chair challenge!
    Good luck with that ITV...
This discussion has been closed.