Win 10 up and running? Talk about your post-install experiences with it.

Comments

• stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Maybe it's a problem with Winrar and not Windows 10.

Worked on Win7, but you never know.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FYI I rolled back my XPS13 and Surface 3 Pro back to 8.1. I really missed the touch friendlier UI and thought that now that I have the W10 licenses registered I can enjoy W8.1 as long as I like. Downgrade of the laptop was seamless, using the built in functionality.

There was a bit of drama with the Surface. It was past the MS downgrade window and W10 refused to downgrade/ degrade itself by resetting with W8.1 recovery image. I ended up deleting the partition per some advice :o That gave me a scare as the W8.1 image still did not work and there was no Windows. So I installed 8.1 Pro from ISO downloaded from MS. It was incomplete, lots of drivers missing, but this time I could use the recovery image and all ended well.

By the way is there a way to downgrade the OS without installing the old OS the way I did? I'd expect OS to accept the recovery image and downgrade, but that apparently does not work.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    FYI I rolled back my XPS13 and Surface 3 Pro back to 8.1. I really missed the touch friendlier UI and thought that now that I have the W10 licenses registered I can enjoy W8.1 as long as I like. Downgrade of the laptop was seamless, using the built in functionality.

There was a bit of drama with the Surface. It was past the MS downgrade window and W10 refused to downgrade/ degrade itself by resetting with W8.1 recovery image. I ended up deleting the partition per some advice :o That gave me a scare as the W8.1 image still did not work and there was no Windows. So I installed 8.1 Pro from ISO downloaded from MS. It was incomplete, lots of drivers missing, but this time I could use the recovery image and all ended well.
    )
    By the way is there a way to downgrade the OS without installing the old OS the way I did? I'd expect OS to accept the recovery image and downgrade, but that apparently does not work.

It has yet to be clarified if downgrading invalidates the hardware id link. Not an issue in the first year but after ....?

re recovery images, best way is to make a full system image before you upgrade as I and others have explained many times.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    It has yet to be clarified if downgrading invalidates the hardware id link. Not an issue in the first year but after ....?

re recovery images, best way is to make a full system image before you upgrade as I and others have explained many times.

Yeah, well, I really only have documents, apps and Office. Not restoring any backups makes the system more fresh. The SP3 with W8.1 now flies compared to W10.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can always clean install anything again later. Let's not have spurious reasons for not making backups. You took the easy option.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can always clean install anything again later. Let's not have spurious reasons for not making backups. You took the easy option.

I am not weeping here that I lost everything, am I? I have my documents in OneDrive and everything else is replaceable. I was just wondering if MS helps with the downgrade, that's all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's just be clear about the advice on these forums. Things like recommended backup and images aren't really advice, it's just polite code for BLOODY DO IT :-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's just be clear about the advice on these forums. Things like recommended backup and images aren't really advice, it's just polite code for BLOODY DO IT :-)

My backup is OneDrive :p If I had twenty plus programmes installed that I would need to install again I'd worry about additional backups. As it is, no.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And what if you ended up in a reboot loop? Or BSODs?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And what if you ended up in a reboot loop? Or BSODs?

Look, find somebody else to chastise about backups. What I did was probably even a standard way to downgrade when not using a backup.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry. I'm not having a go really. Just making a point. As you were :-)
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    That worked.

I have to wonder why it didn't do that the first time I installed it.

That is computers for you, suppose to make things easier, I sometimes wonder if they do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look, find somebody else to chastise about backups. What I did was probably even a standard way to downgrade when not using a backup.

Of course you are well informed, and understand risks etc.

Regrettably, this and other similar forums are littered with cases of people who decided to go back to old OS, using rollback and it failed.

Doing a clean reinstall of 8.1 is relatively painless (tablets not so easy if 8.1+Bing) because isos are still available from MS an install code (oems) is hardwired into bios in most cases.

Reinstalling 7 if an oem version is more of a challenge.

I am sure RobinofLoxley was not having a personal go at you. Indeed his emails are usually informative and courteous (we all have an off day where we make a post and it comes over sharper or clumsier than intended).

I would modify his "Bloody Do it" re. image backups , to "Bloody Do it, unless you understand the risks of not doing it".
  • D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My personal experience of Windows 10 so far is it's not an OS for when you are in a hurry! Since I have no control over updates, chances are it's downloaded updates during the evening and I don't know. So booting up the PC in the morning for a quickie check of my email before work can be a no-no as when I switch on I have to watch it the dots circle round and round installing updates instead of booting.

Maybe quickie stuff is best left to tablets now? Anyway just my personal experience!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »
    My personal experience of Windows 10 so far is it's not an OS for when you are in a hurry! Since I have no control over updates, chances are it's downloaded updates during the evening and I don't know. So booting up the PC in the morning for a quickie check of my email before work can be a no-no as when I switch on I have to watch it the dots circle round and round installing updates instead of booting.

Maybe quickie stuff is best left to tablets now? Anyway just my personal experience!:D

Just set a time to do updates, and put it to sleep rather than shutdown.
  • zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My experience exactly. I'm happy with W10 on my PC but my tablet has gone back to 8.1. The touch/swipe gestures and the clear difference between the desktop and Metro UI just make it a far better tablet UI IMHO.

The only problem I have is that when I went back to 8.1, within the 30 day window, some of the Metro apps now don't work. Video, Weather, News for example now show the splash screen but then instantly close. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling etc but to no effect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zz9 wrote: »
    My experience exactly. I'm happy with W10 on my PC but my tablet has gone back to 8.1. The touch/swipe gestures and the clear difference between the desktop and Metro UI just make it a far better tablet UI IMHO.

The only problem I have is that when I went back to 8.1, within the 30 day window, some of the Metro apps now don't work. Video, Weather, News for example now show the splash screen but then instantly close. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling etc but to no effect.

You probably need to reinstall 8.1.

Was tablet an 8.1+Bing variety?

If so, I hope you made a usb recovery stick, as reinstalling 8.1+Bing needs a special version if OS not available to public (you might find copy on web but not easy).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the apps are acting up and reinstalling them does not help (and I would try rebooting after removing them), the best is to reset or at least refresh the device with a recovery stick. I had the same problem, but luckily an app reinstall helped.

BTW I realised I got used to gestureless W10 ways and for a while I tried them on W8.1 :D, but now it's back to normal. W10 touch felt like sitting on my hands while trying to use it compared to 8.1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does any kind soul have a way of turning off the delete confirmation when using Photos. Always disliked MS second guessing your actions, the Recycle Bin is there if you delete something by mistake.

Is there a simple photo viewer any one uses, just want to go through my latest celebrity pics and delete the boring ones without undue hassle.

Thanks.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    Recycle bin - properties - deselect the delete confirmation box is the usual way, I guess you tried that though.
    However, there are no settings in the new app to disable the confirmation.
    I use windows photo viewer... Which doesn't show a confirmation, once it's off in the bin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    Recycle bin - properties - deselect the delete confirmation box is the usual way, I guess you tried that though.
    However, there are no settings in the new app to disable the confirmation.
    I use windows photo viewer... Which doesn't show a confirmation, once it's off in the bin.

Couldn't get the old photo viewer to work even though it's listed in the apps. Tried a registry fix but that failed.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Couldn't get the old photo viewer to work even though it's listed in the apps. Tried a registry fix but that failed.

Works fine with mine......The others I have that work are Microsoft Office picture manager and Picasa picture viewer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Works fine with mine......The others I have that work are Microsoft Office picture manager and Picasa picture viewer.

How did you manage that, this app can't work on your machine is all I get.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

Yes, the old windows photo viewer works fine with windows 10.
    Just tried on a few PCs I am using and asked the office I am in full of Windows 10 users and differing laptops, no problems with anyone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just found a registry fix that makes it work again. :p

Photo Viewer