Options

Non-contest for 2018 Commonwealth Games

Jamandell (d69)Jamandell (d69) Posts: 3,041
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The deadline for submissions of bids to host the 2018 Commonwealth Games took place. As expected the Gold Coast in Australia put a bid in, yet to everyone's surprise, Abuja in Nigeria that missed out in 2014 didn't submit it's bid when everyone expected one.

However another surprise happened when the small town of Hambantota in Sri Lanka, devastated by the 2004 tsunami, put a bid in.

Gold Coast is a certainty to win, and I see it as a shame that we'll be going back to Australia already even though there hasn't been any Commonweath Games yet since Melbourne.

http://www.gamesbids.com/eng/commonwealth_games_bids/1216135119.html

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The commonwealth games are an odd event really, only a select few countries can take place, and even then they don't seem to care about them; Jessica Ennis for example has no intention of going to Delhi as it doesnt fit in with her training for the indoor season next year.

If the indoor season is more important to an athlete than the commonwealth games, that is surey saying something!

It's a shame as I rather enjoy any athletics and swimming events. However we still have Delhi and Glasgow to look forward to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    The commonwealth games are an odd event really, only a select few countries can take place, and even then they don't seem to care about them; Jessica Ennis for example has no intention of going to Delhi as it doesnt fit in with her training for the indoor season next year.

If the indoor season is more important to an athlete than the commonwealth games, that is surey saying something!

It's a shame as I rather enjoy any athletics and swimming events. However we still have Delhi and Glasgow to look forward to.

Indoor season = prize money
    Commonwealth medal = no prize money

Who can blame her?

The Commonwealth games still has a quaint kind of amateurism, the same as the Olympics used to have. I guess it's important for the badminton players, or the crown green bowlers, or the fencers and such like... not so much for the track and field or swimming stars.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    afx237vi wrote: »
    Indoor season = prize money
    Commonwealth medal = no prize money

Who can blame her?

The Commonwealth games still has a quaint kind of amateurism, the same as the Olympics used to have. I guess it's important for the badminton players, or the crown green bowlers, or the fencers and such like... not so much for the track and field or swimming stars.

Its the location that's the issue this year - if the Games were in the UK she would have gone. India is a bit far and its late in the season.
  • Options
    The NetThe Net Posts: 5,498
    Forum Member
    The deadline for submissions of bids to host the 2018 Commonwealth Games took place. As expected the Gold Coast in Australia put a bid in, yet to everyone's surprise, Abuja in Nigeria that missed out in 2014 didn't submit it's bid when everyone expected one.

However another surprise happened when the small town of Hambantota in Sri Lanka, devastated by the 2004 tsunami, put a bid in.

Gold Coast is a certainty to win, and I see it as a shame that we'll be going back to Australia already even though there hasn't been any Commonweath Games yet since Melbourne.

http://www.gamesbids.com/eng/commonwealth_games_bids/1216135119.html

Was Abuja ever going to be a credible bid? I am not sure they have the ability to run the Games and there would be too many problems to overcome. Sri Lanka would have been nice but again I cant think it would be have the infrastructure to hold them.

New Zealand - it must be their turn?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The commonwealth games are an odd event really, only a select few countries can take place.

The members of the Commonwealth have a combined population of 2.1 billion people, almost a third of the world population. So its hardly a select few countries - there are over 50 who can take part (far more than any European or African championships).
  • Options
    The NetThe Net Posts: 5,498
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    The members of the Commonwealth have a combined population of 2.1 billion people, almost a third of the world population. So its hardly a select few countries - there are over 50 who can take part (far more than any European or African championships).

Agreed. There are Pan-American games, Asian Games, African Games with less countries. They have a definite role to play.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Net wrote: »
    Agreed. There are Pan-American games, Asian Games, African Games with less countries. They have a definite role to play.

It varies from event to event. Certainly in sports like cycling it is a world class competition with Australia against Scotland, England Canada and New Zealand who between them regularly win 80% of the gold medals on offer in the worlds or olympics. In Athletics it has all the world's best sprinting nations apart from the USA.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It varies from event to event. Certainly in sports like cycling it is a world class competition with Australia against Scotland, England Canada and New Zealand who between them regularly win 80% of the gold medals on offer in the worlds or olympics. In Athletics it has all the world's best sprinting nations apart from the USA.

Don't forget lawns bowls and netball and rugby sevens - all the top world teams too!:D