Options

Celebs you'll always defend, depsite the critics

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,852
Forum Member
Fern Britton- All the woman did was have a gastric band, and people hound/hate her for it.

Nicole Scherzinger-People saying she's not fit to be a judge, when the girl's only had the job a few weeks.

Nadine Coyle-Talented and beautiful etc, but doesn't get any type of media support and doesn't have enough promotion, therefore people think she's crap.

Angelina Jolie-stunning, kind and world conscious, but people question, why she adopted so many kids.

Dannii Minogue- Came into her own last season and was booted probably because of it. She was the only professional there, and some people were happy to see her get pushed.

Comments

• Options
    Tulip19Tulip19 Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Victoria Beckham.

This is enough reason in my book to totally forgive some of her admittedly more annoying traits. She also seems like a nice enough person. :)
  • Options
    GeorgieDixGeorgieDix Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    I have a soft spot for Piers Morgan but I have no idea why.
  • Options
    d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    I think Leona Lewis even though she barely gets slated.
    However when she does its because is apparently “boring”. As I tweeted to them vile 3am girls, just because someone isn't in your face or acting like a sl*t and appears shy and sweet with actual talent DOES NOT mean they are boring!
  • Options
    parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    Jonathan Ross
  • Options
    BZRBZR Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for Victoria Beckham I think she seems a lovely person!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't "always" defend anybody, even if I liked them. If someone does something I dislike or disagree with, I'm not afraid to admit it. I find it scary when people hero-worship to the point of not allowing themselves or anybody else to think anything about their idol that isn't pure glowing praise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yep I agree about Victoria Beckham too by the way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree about Dannii too but she does get praised a lot these days.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,852
    Forum Member
    Only after Cowell and his pet Moose eloped. Dannii got a lot of slack because she wasn't Cowell's princess anymore and a lot viewers followed suit. Then she really showed everyone, what a real judge is.
  • Options
    Kazz_xKazz_x Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm no longer an obsessed Jedward fan, honestly, grew out of it I think, but I feel the need to defend them no matter what. They are loopy yes, but they seem so lovely and a lot of people seem to say so. And I'm not too sure they know how to defend themselves.

And Robbie Williams. People saying he's back on the drugs etc, I genuinely believe he just gets high of performing. I really do.
  • Options
    JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Kazz_x wrote: »
    I'm no longer an obsessed Jedward fan, honestly, grew out of it I think, but I feel the need to defend them no matter what. They are loopy yes, but they seem so lovely and a lot of people seem to say so. And I'm not too sure they know how to defend themselves.

And Robbie Williams. People saying he's back on the drugs etc, I genuinely believe he just gets high of performing. I really do.

Jedward were on 8 out of 10 Cats this week and I have to admit I've never actually seen them properly before. I obviously know who they are but dont watch X Factor so didnt have a massive knowledge or opinion.

My husband ranted how bad they were the whole way through the programme but I actually thought they were quite entertaining - kind of like two excitable 5 yrs olds!! Not offensive just a little bit car crash.

I'd defend them now - I think I've got a soft spot for them :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for Jedward - there's no malice in them at all and I think it's awful that so much malice is directed at them simply because they were put into the X Factor live shows. They didn't even have the worst voices in their year but they were presented as 'the ones you are going to hate', and people just blindly obeyed. It's embarassing that people can be that sheep-like.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't "always" defend anybody, even if I liked them. If someone does something I dislike or disagree with, I'm not afraid to admit it. I find it scary when people hero-worship to the point of not allowing themselves or anybody else to think anything about their idol that isn't pure glowing praise.

Completely agree. being a fan doesn't mean defending, turning a blind eye to or ignoring their faults imo.
  • Options
    allie5allie5 Posts: 4,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    Another vote for Jedward - there's no malice in them at all and I think it's awful that so much malice is directed at them simply because they were put into the X Factor live shows. They didn't even have the worst voices in their year but they were presented as 'the ones you are going to hate', and people just blindly obeyed. It's embarassing that people can be that sheep-like.

Im not a Jedward "fan" but I have run into the boys at several different events over the last few months and I have to say Ive been impressed at just how lovely they are. Yeah they are hyper but thats part of their charm - they are caring, considerate, polite, great with their fans and just lovely boys. People forget just how young they are I think. Granted they arent the most talented singers but they make up for it with enthusiasm. They are completely harmless - not a malicious bone in their bodies - shame more teens arent like them.

Bloody hell that makes me sound OLD :D .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lots of Big Brother housemates. They are not all 'wannabes' (and so what?), a lot of them have been likeable, a lot of them have been intelligent and the programme did not "start off as a social experiment" and "turn into just an opportunity for desperate wannabes to get their tits out". In fact the acme of tittishness was BB1.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allie5 wrote: »
    Im not a Jedward "fan" but I have run into the boys at several different events over the last few months and I have to say Ive been impressed at just how lovely they are. Yeah they are hyper but thats part of their charm - they are caring, considerate, polite, great with their fans and just lovely boys. People forget just how young they are I think. Granted they arent the most talented singers but they make up for it with enthusiasm. They are completely harmless - not a malicious bone in their bodies - shame more teens arent like them.

Bloody hell that makes me sound OLD :D .

The thing about Jedward is that they were cast as a "talentless and tone deaf act" by the producers as part of that year's "script". It's amazing how many people and even the media take their cue from Simon Cowell and the XF producers : Jedward are regarded as genuine pop stars in Europe, where they don't have Lord Cowell telling them what to think.
  • Options
    jeppajeppa Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    I know it`s controversial on here but Jade Goody. Agree about Victoria Beckham too.
  • Options
    Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheryl Cole
    Dannii Minogue
    Leona Lewis
    Nicole Scherzinger
    Jonathan Ross
    James Corden
    Piers Morgan
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None. I might really like them but I also see some their faults and agree with the critics so I can't always defend them.
  • Options
    Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave0893 wrote: »
    Cheryl Cole
    Dannii Minogue
    Leona Lewis
    Nicole Scherzinger
    Jonathan Ross
    James Corden
    Piers Morgan

Just to add to mine previous post, I still am able to see their faults and sometimes agree with critics.
  • Options
    loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dannii Minogue and Jennifer Aniston.
  • Options
    RoonilWazlibRoonilWazlib Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    I think John and Edward are harmless. They seem quite sweet.

For me it is Rupert Grint. My favourite of the "HP trio".I feel very protective of him. He seems such a lovely man.
    I love all of the HP cast to be honest.
  • Options
    HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    The thing about Jedward is that they were cast as a "talentless and tone deaf act" by the producers as part of that year's "script". It's amazing how many people and even the media take their cue from Simon Cowell and the XF producers : Jedward are regarded as genuine pop stars in Europe, where they don't have Lord Cowell telling them what to think.
    I got some respect for them when one of them broke or sprained his ankle during a live performance, and he carried on and completed the show, even though he must have been in agony. I think one very unjust accusation of reality stars is they dont have to work for it, when the opposite is true, they have to work damned hard.
  • Options
    JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    Anne Diamond - vilified for being another gastric band concealer, but for me, her work with the Cot Death Campaign will always stand out. She used her own tragic experience to highlight this issue and is largely responsible for the significant reduction of cot deaths in this country through her work in this area.

Another here for Danni Minogue and Victoria Beckham - I find them totally inoffensive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgieDix wrote: »
    I have a soft spot for Piers Morgan but I have no idea why.

Me too :)