Elderly people refuse to move for a disabled child on a bus

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
Forum Member
✭✭
Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2715380/Mother-boy-cerebral-palsy-forced-sit-bus-floor-pensioners-refused-disabled-seats-room.html

Posting this because I remembered a thread from last week about elderly people being rude while using public transport and here's another example of it.

Comments

• tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I saw this and wondered about the accuracy of it.

She said that she had to sit on the floor which doesnt make sense, does she mean because it would be more stable for him on her lap or because there were no seats?

Was there not room for her to have the buggy/wheelchair in the aisle or whatever? What does she mean when she says she couldnt get to the brake?
  • paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't think for safety reasons people were allowed to sit on the floor of public transport.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TescoJeans wrote: »
    Posting this because I remembered a thread from last week about elderly people being rude while using public transport and here's another example of it.

I never doubted it could happen but it's really good we're documenting it...^_^
  • EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    It's a mountain out of a molehill

Firstly she didnt have to get on that bus, she could have got on the next one

Secondly how does she know the elderly people aren't disabled too, they might not look it but that doesn't mean they aren't, just like her baby might not look disabled

She is not disabled so there was no reason for her to sit on the floor

Her child's disability does not over ride anyone else's disability and as far as I'm aware those seats are for the elderly too

The driver does not have to tell people to move from those seats, if he did he would be judging those who were sitting there as a none disabled person, it's upto her to ask them to move and they don't have to move because they may be entitled to those seats
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have demanded the driver do something about it. He let her on his bus.

This of course is a half arsed Daily Fail story, so who knows?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »

She said that she had to sit on the floor which doesnt make sense, does she mean because it would be more stable for him on her lap or because there were no seats?

Was there not room for her to have the buggy/wheelchair in the aisle or whatever? What does she mean when she says she couldnt get to the brake?

It reads like there was no room to apply the brakes. Some pull down meaning that the chair takes up a couple more inches or so. She then sat on the floor to keep the chair steady, in effect taking the job of the brakes. I could be way out, but that's how I understood it.
  • Ninja_NathanNinja_Nathan Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    She could have stood, she isn't disabled. The kid has a chair.

While I'm not saying old people can't be jerks, they also sometimes can't stand as well.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It makes sense if you read the article ..

If there were elderly people either side of the aisle with trollies, as appears to be the case here, then she'd not actually be able to put the chair in the aisle because you're supposed to keep a clear path of access in case of emergencies.

As it said in the article, she said she couldn't have him on her knee because he flings himself forward so would likely hurt himself.

But then I can't say i'm surprised really. I've seen elderly people on buses who will not give up their seats no matter what. And it makes it worse if they all have trollies as well, which sounds like the case here.
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    It reads like there was no room to apply the brakes. Some pull down meaning that the chair takes up a couple more inches or so. She then sat on the floor to keep the chair steady, in effect taking the job of the brakes. I could be way out, but that's how I understood it.

That's basically it. I've seen those particular chairs as a woman who lives near me takes her son out in one.
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Time for a game of disability top trumps anyone?
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect there is a tiny kernel of truth somewhere in that story and it has been blown up into a full blown thing.

I don't understand why she had to sit on the floor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why she had to sit on the floor.

It's been pointed out multiple times - it was because there was no room to properly apply the brake on the chair so she had to sit and hold on to it.
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the buses round here, if the wheelchair area is full with buggies or people and someone in a wheelchair wants to get on then the driver plays a message along the lines of "the wheelchair area is now needed, please vacate the area".

I've been on buses where the driver has turned off the engine and refused to drive until people who are kicking up a fuss about moving have cleared the area and allowed the wheelchair user to get on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been pointed out multiple times - it was because there was no room to properly apply the brake on the chair so she had to sit and hold on to it.

I've never actually had to control a baby buggy on a bus - but surely sitting on the floor would give her less control.
  • EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    This story could have been different, it could have been about a old disabled person who was forced to stand for the bus journey by a inconsiderate bus driver to make room for a woman and her baby
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The reports says he needs to be strapped in. This suggests his body experiences involuntary spasms (a severe form of CP) without a harness. In that case, it wouldn't be safe for the boy to sit on anyone's lap. Since the brake wasn't on, she had to act as a stabiliser.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never actually had to control a baby buggy on a bus - but surely sitting on the floor would give her less control.

It's a specially adapted wheelchair. Those things are really weighted at the bottom and the wheels are designed for ease of movement. It would be sliding all over the bus if someone tried to hold it from the handles. It would be far steadier to take the weight at the wheels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a specially adapted wheelchair. Those things are really weighted at the bottom and the wheels are designed for ease of movement. It would be sliding all over the bus if someone tried to hold it from the handles. It would be far steadier to take the weight at the wheels.

Exactly!
  • ThatJoshThatJosh Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's disgusting. It's funny how the elderly commonly accuse teenagers of being impolite when the majority of the time, it's them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    On the buses round here, if the wheelchair area is full with buggies or people and someone in a wheelchair wants to get on then the driver plays a message along the lines of "the wheelchair area is now needed, please vacate the area".

I've been on buses where the driver has turned off the engine and refused to drive until people who are kicking up a fuss about moving have cleared the area and allowed the wheelchair user to get on.

That is exactly what he should have done. It was the driver's responsibility.

At least the bus company recognise that simple fact.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It isn't a baby buggy.
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Exactly!

Exactly x 2 !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ah OK. In that case, I stand corrected.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice how the Daily Mail fails to mention whether or not the pensioners were fully able to stand up for their journey. Oh well, I guess I'll be [highlight]OUTRAGED[/highlight] at that omission rather than the more obvious case of a deluded parent running to the media with a sob story.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This story could have been different, it could have been about a old disabled person who was forced to stand for the bus journey by a inconsiderate bus driver to make room for a woman and her baby

What are you on about? Why would a disabled person have to stand?
  • Ninja_NathanNinja_Nathan Posts: 292
    Forum Member

Then it's a design issue and should have breaks.

If the child moves around a lot, how do they stop the chair from moving around? How can it NOT have breaks?
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The driver has to ask people in the disabled area to move and fold down their buggies

They don't have to but the driver has to ask...

Dda law