windows 10 totally messed up on my pc

Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,302
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I updated from windows 7, was ok for a few days but last couple of days it started refusing to shut down etc, mainly when I'd left the computer alone for a couple of hours. I've gone back to windows 7 now

Comments

• Barney_BarnesBarney_Barnes Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    I had no problem updating my desktop running 7 to 10, and it appeared to work fine on my laptop running 8.1
    Although it prevented Google from working. Failing to find a solution I tried to revert back to 8.1
    I failed and it left me unable to boot into Windows, I had to use my recovery disc to re-install Windows 8, and then upgrade to 8.1.
    It is strange that everything works fine on the desktop.
    Not happy.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had no problem updating my desktop running 7 to 10, and it appeared to work fine on my laptop running 8.1
    Although it prevented Google from working. Failing to find a solution I tried to revert back to 8.1
    I failed and it left me unable to boot into Windows, I had to use my recovery disc to re-install Windows 8, and then upgrade to 8.1.
    It is strange that everything works fine on the desktop.
    Not happy.

I'm just wondering what you mean by prevented Google from working? Do you mean Google Chrome?
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those caught in a similar position, you can download an 8.1 iso which would have saved quite some time (assuming you have access to another PC).

However (I know I am being repetitive here), if you have yet to upgrade, the best option is to make a full system image backup before you upgrade. Then you can easily recover typically in less than one hour.

The problem here is people come to forum after they have issues, not before! It would be really refreshing if somebody asked "I am thinking of upgrading - what's the best way, and what should I do in case it fails".
    Forum Member
    psionic wrote: »
    I'm just wondering what you mean by prevented Google from working? Do you mean Google Chrome?

Yes Google chrome, and Firefox.
    Both will open but Chrome won't load any pages, and Firefox just hangs.
    Everything else worked on the Laptop except those two programs.

I have read reports that Chrome is not compatible with W10 but if that is so, why do those two programs run fine on the desktop?
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have read reports that Chrome is not compatible with W10 but if that is so, why do those two programs run fine on the desktop?

Did you try removing any add-ons and reinstalling?

I'm using Chrome on W10 and it seems totally fine, so i'm intrigued. I've upgraded many machines to W10 and most of them use Chrome as the default browser. The only problems I experienced were unrelated, such as problems sending messages in Outlook and the odd driver issue, plus one had an issue where it wouldn't open the 'Settings' app. All of which turned out to solvable.
  • wackywwackyw Posts: 1,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Chrome does work in w10. When I upgraded I had to reinstall my media centre software, Chrome also said it needed to be reinstalled, then it just worked!! Try removing it, then redownload and install. Save your bookmarks first of course !
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    oilman wrote: »
    For those caught in a similar position, you can download an 8.1 iso which would have saved quite some time (assuming you have access to another PC).

However (I know I am being repetitive here), if you have yet to upgrade, the best option is to make a full system image backup before you upgrade. Then you can easily recover typically in less than one hour.

The problem here is people come to forum after they have issues, not before! It would be really refreshing if somebody asked "I am thinking of upgrading - what's the best way, and what should I do in case it fails".

I agree and I also make an additional secondary back up of my most important folders and a record of the programmes installed on my PC before doing a reinstallation/new OS installation.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Chrome not loading pages occurs in 8.1 etc as well. Search web lots of things to try.
    From memory (it was a while ago), I found the chrome.exe file, renamed it to chrome2.exe, created a new shortcut and then it worked. Worth a try.
    Forum Member
    psionic wrote: »
    Did you try removing any add-ons and reinstalling?

I'm using Chrome on W10 and it seems totally fine, so i'm intrigued. I've upgraded many machines to W10 and most of them use Chrome as the default browser. The only problems I experienced were unrelated, such as problems sending messages in Outlook and the odd driver issue, plus one had an issue where it wouldn't open the 'Settings' app. All of which turned out to solvable.

It is certainly intriguing as to why Chrome and Firefox work fine on one machine but not another.
    I did uninstall both programs and re-install them, twice, but nothing. I didn't have to do anything with the desktop, it just worked from day one.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all your suggestions.
    I an certainly going to make an custom copy of 8.1 before I try an upgrade to W10

As W10 was supposed to be a simple upgrade, and it was supposed to be an easy task to revert back, it never occurred that it would cause such problems. You live and learn..
    I will copy it to either a USB stick or an external hard drive.
    Forum Member
    After a lot of thought, and making a custom image of my system, just in case, I tried again to install Windows 10.
    This time it went without any problems, and everything, including Google Chrome and Firefox are working fine, in fact they seem to load faster.

So what ever went wrong last time seems not to have happened this time.