YouView from TalkTalk - A quick review!

My TalkTalk YouView box arrived yesterday, and I'm so impressed I've decided to share this quick review with you.

The package contains everything you need to get started, and the instructions are clear and easy to understand.

Once everything's plugged in and switched on, the box will search for all the Freeview channels available in your area. It's interesting to note that it automatically deletes the Top Up TV and BT Vision channels! (except ESPN)

When TalkTalk first unveiled their television service, I was disappointed that the online channels were all standard definition. But do not let that put you off, as the quality of the picture on these channels is far better than many of the standard definition channels on Freeview.

My only criticism would be that there doesn't seem to be any way of directly accessing the online channels by channel number. You always have to scroll through a list.

Comments

• promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ndev70 wrote: »
    My TalkTalk YouView box arrived yesterday, and I'm so impressed I've decided to share this quick review with you.

The package contains everything you need to get started, and the instructions are clear and easy to understand.

Once everything's plugged in and switched on, the box will search for all the Freeview channels available in your area. It's interesting to note that it automatically deletes the Top Up TV and BT Vision channels! (except ESPN)

When TalkTalk first unveiled their television service, I was disappointed that the online channels were all standard definition. But do not let that put you off, as the quality of the picture on these channels is far better than many of the standard definition channels on Freeview.

My only criticism would be that there doesn't seem to be any way of directly accessing the online channels by channel number. You always have to scroll through a list.

Thanks for the feedback - always appreciated.

The channels will get numbers eventually and this will come with added recording capability too when they're listed in the main guide. At the moment they're just a stopgap to offer their customers something instead of nothing.

How are you finding the on demand? Is there plenty to watch? What do you make of the TV boosts? Good quality etc?
  • onephatonephat Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I ask what speed is your broadband connection synced at?
  • ndev70ndev70 Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    onephat wrote: »

The speed checkers on the TalkTalk and Uswitch websites usually report a download speed of between 12-14 Meg.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    I have had TalkTalk Youview since November last year. I am very impressed, everything just works right which can't be said for many Freeview receivers. On demand works very well and its very rare that it has to buffer, if at all! Very pleased :-)

I would like to see more on demand app's added such as Netflix and Lovefilm Instant, Anyone know when this could happen? MSN TV and Youtube would also be excellent along with any other film on demand channels.

Any idea when the recent Youview software update will happen on TalkTalk?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Id like to join but there not letting me. Their sales speed checker reports i'll get speeds of 2mb - 2.2mb. I've been with BT (and have youview at the moment to replace vision) for 2 years now and i'm synced at over 5mb. Any ideas how to get them to let me join?

Ben
    Forum Member
    I have had TalkTalk Youview since November last year. I am very impressed, everything just works right which can't be said for many Freeview receivers. On demand works very well and its very rare that it has to buffer, if at all! Very pleased :-)

I would like to see more on demand app's added such as Netflix and Lovefilm Instant, Anyone know when this could happen? MSN TV and Youtube would also be excellent along with any other film on demand channels.

Any idea when the recent Youview software update will happen on TalkTalk?

You hit the spot when you said "everything just works". For once a company (TalkTalk in this case) has advertised a product without "over selling" it.

As a LoveFilm subscriber, I too would like to see LoveFilm Instant added. I'm sure that over the coming months and years we'll see additional services become available as the user base of YouView grows. At least LoveFilm have dipped their toe in the water by providing LoveFilm pay-per-view.

What features have been added in the YouView software update that you mentioned?
    Forum Member
    onephat wrote: »

I've seen references to the speed that broadband is "synced" at a few times recently. Is there a special way to find this out, or is it just a technical term for using a web based speed checker?
  • cornishcornish Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    i phoned tt about their phone,bb and tv package,but they told me my line does not support tv services??.I find this very strange as i have bt vision with no problems.my line speed is always between 12-15mg which far exceeds the 3mg for sd and 5mg for hd which tt state as a min.I thought the person i spoke to must have got wrong so phoned back today and got the same answer.So looks like i am staying bt and their high prices.
    Forum Member
    cornish wrote: »
    i phoned tt about their phone,bb and tv package,but they told me my line does not support tv services??.I find this very strange as i have bt vision with no problems.my line speed is always between 12-15mg which far exceeds the 3mg for sd and 5mg for hd which tt state as a min.I thought the person i spoke to must have got wrong so phoned back today and got the same answer.So looks like i am staying bt and their high prices.

Is TalkTalk available at your local telephone exchange? Check here http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search .
    If TalkTalk isn't ticked in the LLU operator presence section, then TalkTalk won't be an option for you.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that link.No they are not listed,would have thought they could of told me that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in the same position as you Cornish but my exchange is talktalk llu enabled.
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had my box since the end of September. It must be one of the earliest Huawei boxes because the installer told me that they had only just stopped supplying Humax boxes. Anyway, the box is fine. It does everything it is supposed to do reliably. Like the OP, I am impressed by the picture quality of the online services. TalkTalk say that you need a speed of at least 4Mbps to access them reliably. Mine averages 10-11 so there is no problem. Apparently online HD is coming, but it is likely to be downloads rather than streaming, at least to begin with. There is also a shedload of other online stuff coming next year, so they say. They have hinted that we are to have a National Theatre channel. No indication of whether it will be free, though. The other thing I like is that I can choose to watch Sky channels without signing up to a long term contract or speaking to Sky at all for that matter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    promo-only wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback - always appreciated.

The channels will get numbers eventually and this will come with added recording capability too when they're listed in the main guide. At the moment they're just a stopgap to offer their customers something instead of nothing.

How are you finding the on demand? Is there plenty to watch? What do you make of the TV boosts? Good quality etc?

I tried the boosts but as sooner as i purchased one of them and found out that you cant record them I immediately cancelled them. Can't see the point myself.
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You will be able to record them in time. It is scheduled for a future software update apparently. The ability to pause and rewind them has just become available, so I doubt whether recording will be far behind.
    Forum Member
    Does anyone else think there should be a separate TalkTalk TV topic pinned to the top like BT Vision? It's growing fast now Youview is involved.

If the guy further up the topic, who appears to be from TalkTalk, could you help please!

My Father wants TT TV, he has tried ordering online but it says it's not available in his area, after many a phone call from me and him to TalkTalk we were told it was because there is no engineer available in that area, so I said can we have self install and was told yes no problem. Then They said it was still not available it must be a computer error and the lady passed it over to her manager and to expect a phone call once the problem was solved. After 2 days there was no phone call so we called back and had to go through the whole process again even though we explained very clearly what had been said on previous phone calls. In the end we were told it was not available because my fathers internet is not fast enough would he like to have fibre optic? By this point my Father was getting rather mad! All I want is a Youview box, he said over and over.

It seems to be a crazy situation! His speed is not much different to mine and exactly the same as my Uncles who is with BT and has Youview with them. This is just confusing my Father even more!

Please TalkTalk sort it out! My Father already uses BBCi and ITV player via his Freesat box and that works fine, so Youview should work even better.
  • VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone else think there should be a separate TalkTalk TV topic pinned to the top like BT Vision? It's growing fast now Youview is involved.

If the guy further up the topic, who appears to be from TalkTalk, could you help please!

My Father wants TT TV, he has tried ordering online but it says it's not available in his area, after many a phone call from me and him to TalkTalk we were told it was because there is no engineer available in that area, so I said can we have self install and was told yes no problem. Then They said it was still not available it must be a computer error and the lady passed it over to her manager and to expect a phone call once the problem was solved. After 2 days there was no phone call so we called back and had to go through the whole process again even though we explained very clearly what had been said on previous phone calls. In the end we were told it was not available because my fathers internet is not fast enough would he like to have fibre optic? By this point my Father was getting rather mad! All I want is a Youview box, he said over and over.

It seems to be a crazy situation! His speed is not much different to mine and exactly the same as my Uncles who is with BT and has Youview with them. This is just confusing my Father even more!

Please TalkTalk sort it out! My Father already uses BBCi and ITV player via his Freesat box and that works fine, so Youview should work even better.

What's your fathers line speed Adrian? As to view the VOD content 3Mbps is needed, and to view the live boost channels 5 -6Mbps is required.
    Forum Member
    It varies but in general its 3mbps, it does fluctuate though. But it should make no difference! If he is happy to pay the extra cost, take out a 12 month contract then TalkTalk should be happy enough to do so as long as it's made clear that sometimes on demand might not work very well. He just wants a good quality PVR and use on demand occasionally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should on demand and live sd channels need the same adsl speed or would live require a higher speed?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    You will be able to record them in time. It is scheduled for a future software update apparently. The ability to pause and rewind them has just become available, so I doubt whether recording will be far behind.

That is cool news. It suits me better with the job i have to record and watch at my leisure. Ive gone for NOW tv for the trial..
  • VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deznottsuk wrote: »
    That is cool news. It suits me better with the job i have to record and watch at my leisure. Ive gone for NOW tv for the trial..

I'm sure people would appreciate feedback on that too. Picture quality, reliability, choice of content, etc.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love my TT YouView box. It is an impressive service. But YouView need to give us Love film Instant and Netflix.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    finbaar wrote: »
    I love my TT YouView box. It is an impressive service. But YouView need to give us Love film Instant and Netflix.

question for u..
    youview,is it the same system as the ex homechoice system?
  • lbearlbear Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It varies but in general its 3mbps, it does fluctuate though. But it should make no difference! If he is happy to pay the extra cost, take out a 12 month contract then TalkTalk should be happy enough to do so as long as it's made clear that sometimes on demand might not work very well. He just wants a good quality PVR and use on demand occasionally.

3mbps is barely fast enough to stream SD let alone HD. Also remember that ANYTHING else like a PC accessing mail in the background will use up that bandwidth.
    Forum Member
    ndev70 wrote: »
    Is TalkTalk available at your local telephone exchange? Check here http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search .
    If TalkTalk isn't ticked in the LLU operator presence section, then TalkTalk won't be an option for you.

My exchange does not have any llu operators.So how come TT rang me back to say they can provide me with bb and phone,but still no youview.The sale person suggested i sign up with them for bb and phone,wait 10-14 days for the line settle and then see if i can get the tv side of it.Yeah right.:mad:
    Forum Member
    lbear wrote: »
    3mbps is barely fast enough to stream SD let alone HD. Also remember that ANYTHING else like a PC accessing mail in the background will use up that bandwidth.

I have no problem with speeds just over 3mbps and I have a computer and phone running, I watched a film on Lovefilm Box Office last night no problem at all, all 2 hours of Batman without a single problem. My point is that my Father is 75 with only my Mother in the house who does not use the internet. If they watch TV then the computer is switched off. He loves the quality of the Youview box and is fed up of rubbish Freesat boxes that keep messing up his recordings. He will never watch Lovefilm etc etc but occasionally use the previous 7 day function, HD is just another thing to confuse his TV viewing. I just want TalkTalk to listen and be happy that someone wants to go from a basic broadband/phone package to its full TV package.