Options

Have bt vision got a new menu running?

wsgwsg Posts: 185
Forum Member
I have not had my bt vision box out of its box for several months and this morning I was in my neighbours house and he had his bt vision box on and to my surprise the whole menu system was completely different to mine his box is the same as mine but about 3 months older I set mine up again thinking it would update itself but nothing happened any advise please as I could not find a factory reset

Comments

• Options
    copiermancopierman Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    Does he have a YOUVIEW box? and how is the menu different:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No he does not have a youview box its the same none hd box that I have and the whole menu (OSG) is totally different to mine It looks as if it has had a totally new software upgrade
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you M-at I will try those suggestions this afternoon
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tried all 3 suggestions on their web site none of them worked just one of the three did a factory reset but did not upgrade the software Iam reluctant to phone as it will almost certaimly be india and I cant understand a word anyone out there done a software upgrade themselves?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Took the plunge an phoned bt and of course got a guy with not very good English I think he said all these software upgrades were being done in batches of 3000 and just because my neighbours box had been upgraded it did not mean that mine would be on the same batch and mine would be done in due course.?? All sounds a bit strange to me
  • Options
    VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wsg wrote: »
    Took the plunge an phoned bt and of course got a guy with not very good English I think he said all these software upgrades were being done in batches of 3000 and just because my neighbours box had been upgraded it did not mean that mine would be on the same batch and mine would be done in due course.?? All sounds a bit strange to me

Actually no, its not wsg. You actually have to wait for the box to be targetted by the BT servers to get the update. And theres no way to force it, unfortunately.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    VISIONMAN1 Thankyou for that at least he wasn't full of waffle But I wonder why the BT website give 3 ways of forcing a software upgrade if they don't work they say try all 3 before ringing technical guys
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    BT Vision comes in several flavours - which of these does your neighbour have?

1) The "Classic" Microsoft Mediaroom based version that has been running for many years. The menus look like this. This version can run on the original silver box or the later black box.

2) The newer "Cardinal" version built without Microsoft, which looks like this and can only run on the black box.

3) The latest incarnation of BT Vision is a YouView application. If you plug a Humax YouView box into a BT Broadband line you will have access to an application which looks similar to the Cardinal screen above.

4) Multicast, which looks like Cardinal but has extra TV channels in the EPG. These channels are delivered via broadband and look & feel just like a normal broadcast channel. The only way you can tell is the little broadband "b" symbol as shown here.

We are told that BT's YouView boxes will also support multicast channels soon...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He had the classic black box version just like me now he has the latest software update version which I don't have I don't know what it is called but you can view it on bt vision website
  • Options
    VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wsg wrote: »
    He had the classic black box version just like me now he has the latest software update version which I don't have I don't know what it is called but you can view it on bt vision website

Hi wsg,

The term 'classic' does not refer to the physical box type but the software on it. You have the classic software, which is known as BT Vision 1.0. Your friend has the new platform's operating system, which is known as BT Vision 2.0.
  • Options
    tompaynetompayne Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    Is version 2 being rolled out to everyone? I have a black box but the "classic" menu. Any idea when it might be upgraded?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Yes it is being rolled out to everyone. it runs on Microsoft software and they are changing to a Linux based system which BT dont have to pay licenses for. Eventually i think everything will be on the YouView platform as it will be more cost effective to just have one platform.