Options

whitechapel, coming soon

Comments

• Options
    FaggyFaggy Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I was afraid you might. Again, as so many times before, I'm puzzled as to why people would waste their own time doing something they don't like, then posting about how awful it was!

Re the bit you had problems understanding - I had no difficulty knowing what was happening. I don't know whether anyone else did.

It's deliberately filmed, you know, in a way to suggest something supernatural is going on, even though it isn't actually supernatural at all. It's supposed to ramp up the scariness factor, though it is done tongue in cheek. Personally I like that. If I didn't. I'd give it a miss and watch something I did like. But that's just me.

BIB: I had no problems understanding it either - seemed fairly clear what was happening. And as you say, it's filmed in a particular style that emphasises atmosphere and scariness rather than realism,

Totally agree with your first point too. I'm amazed at the number of people who come on here to say how much they disliked something then watch it again the following week and complain again. Whenever they are challenged they invariably respond along the lines of "I can watch what I want" which is true of course but doesn't answer the question of why they would want to if they are clearly not enjoying it.
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    If I understood correctly the first man was tortured till he gave up a name. The name he gave up was that of (or led to) the old woman. Before she was set alight she gave up a name too.

Someone is working their way up a chain of command, or via cells of a network, to find the person at the top/centre/what done it (whatever it may have been).

Was the old lady an M16 agent in the past? She certainly knew how to wring the neck of that bird that flew into the window :D
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    farmer bob wrote: »
    I recorded this and it cut out a few mins from the end. Raging. Can anyone please tell how the episode ended after Dorothy got burnt alive. Thanks

This happened to me too :(
  • Options
    BlomkvistBlomkvist Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This happened to me too :(

You could zip to the end. :)

https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/whitechapel/series-4/episode-2#catchup-section
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    16caerhos wrote: »
    Whitechapel has always been a bit silly, but that's what makes it so entertaining. I'd rather this than another boring cop drama trying too hard to be realistic.

There's room for both...but I agree, Whitechapel does make a refreshing change. Unless some posters have never seen the programme before, I can't understand their complaints about it being unrealistic or stupid.
    Of course it's absurd, it's meant to be. Does anyone believe a modern police station would function like that ? There has to be some tie-in with the history of the area, myths and folk tales, a dash of the supernatural and some gothic horror. They couldn't do all that and still make it a realistic modern crime drama.
    You either enjoy the absurdity of of it, or think it's just plain daft. I like it. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Load of daft hokum..... it's OK though. Something a bit different.
  • Options
    InNoctemInNoctem Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Rupert Penry Jones sounds a bit 'desperate' on his twitter; asking people to spread the word on Whitechapel to ensure it will come back.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was the old lady an M16 agent in the past? She certainly knew how to wring the neck of that bird that flew into the window :D
    Or Soviet sleeper agent perhaps.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed the first episode. Liked the little character details and the way the team seem to gel together. There is been very little promotion of the series, so not surprising that audience figures are down. It's one of my favourite series.
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched tonight's episode and I am well creeped out :eek:
    Next week's preview looks good.
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'm going to start recording it and watching it in daylight, well before I go to bed. :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another enjoyable, creepy episode and so far I'm liking this series more than the previous one.
    I hope it's not going to end with the team disbanding though!
    I agree that it's not being very well promoted, and personally I'd enjoy it as Sunday evening viewing, but i'm keeping my fingers crossed that it gets another series.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry but this is the last time I watch it. I wasn't keen last week but my husband wanted to see it (he was away last week). He said the same as me - we'll not bother again. Sorry RPJ et al!
  • Options
    Dan-BevisDan-Bevis Posts: 12,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ****kk that ending! :eek:

That old lady who was at the book signing spoke ominously to them all individually. Was probably the one who phoned one of them up in tonight's.

Creepy...
  • Options
    bilsheenebilsheene Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    What's the word on DC Riley & the ominous cut on her hand?
  • Options
    nairneynairney Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Remember the chef / cook guy from the soup kitchen that Kent spoke to about decoding the mysterious symbols? I thought he looked awfully like the man shown in the Internet article about the bakery - could they have been one and the same?
    Also, the old lady (that Dan-Bevis mentioned) from the book signing - was she standing in the street watching as the team entered the bakery, leaving Kent standing guard outside?
    So many questions.... :)
  • Options
    Rocket QueenRocket Queen Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bilsheene wrote: »
    What's the word on DC Riley & the ominous cut on her hand?

I was wondering the same,:confused:

It wasn't the best ones I've seen, next weeks looks nice and gory:eek:
  • Options
    ButterfaceButterface Posts: 2,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nairney wrote: »
    Remember the chef / cook guy from the soup kitchen that Kent spoke to about decoding the mysterious symbols? I thought he looked awfully like the man shown in the Internet article about the bakery - could they have been one and the same?
    Also, the old lady (that Dan-Bevis mentioned) from the book signing - was she standing in the street watching as the team entered the bakery, leaving Kent standing guard outside?
    So many questions.... :)

The old lady that whispers psychological stuff in people's ears was also mopping the floor in the police station in the first episode. Apologies if this has already been mentioned. And yes, she was lurking / walking up toward the bakery in the background too !

Tonight's episode was so creepy ! :eek:
  • Options
    LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't watched Whitechapel before (I don't like horror) but am watching this series and am enthralled.

Episode 3 is truly shocking. :eek:
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Next week's episode looks even more creepy and more gory!

I thought RPJ was getting a love interest in this series?.

Funny how the hospital at the end looked like another room in the police building!!
  • Options
    macavity77macavity77 Posts: 404
    Forum Member
    I have actually been enjoying this and am surprised that there are not more people watching it. It is totally daft but scary and creepy in the way of The Omen original film back in the 1970s although so far we have been spared people speared by lightning conductors or a prevalence of plastic goat skeletons.

I am sure that there will be a commonplace explanation for the happenings - I also noticed the creepy old lady approaching the bakery - and she seemed very much flesh and blood. It must be something to to with now ancient spies left over from the Cold War. Perhaps some outmoded chemical weapon leaking into the water supply from the police station basement.

If anyone has read Mayhem by Sarah Pinborough, this seems to be based around the same ideas although certainly has a supernatural theme. A malign presence in Whitechapel in the 1880's is responsible for affecting those around including the perpetrator of The Whitechapel Murders. I wonder if the is where the scriptwriters got their ideas.

I feel sure that the odd behaviour of some of the characters will clear up when all is resolved perhaps Rupes will be also cured of his OCD and the creeping mold also disappear!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Whitechapel but not sure I like the 2 episode story arcs, it makes it all feel very rushed?
  • Options
    jude007jude007 Posts: 2,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    macavity77 wrote: »
    I have actually been enjoying this and am surprised that there are not more people watching it. It is totally daft but scary and creepy in the way of The Omen original film back in the 1970s although so far we have been spared people speared by lightning conductors or a prevalence of plastic goat skeletons.

I am sure that there will be a commonplace explanation for the happenings - I also noticed the creepy old lady approaching the bakery - and she seemed very much flesh and blood. It must be something to to with now ancient spies left over from the Cold War. Perhaps some outmoded chemical weapon leaking into the water supply from the police station basement.

If anyone has read Mayhem by Sarah Pinborough, this seems to be based around the same ideas although certainly has a supernatural theme. A malign presence in Whitechapel in the 1880's is responsible for affecting those around including the perpetrator of The Whitechapel Murders. I wonder if the is where the scriptwriters got their ideas.

I feel sure that the odd behaviour of some of the characters will clear up when all is resolved perhaps Rupes will be also cured of his OCD and the creeping mold also disappear!

I am also sure she was in the crowd that gathered after Wingfield took the skydive out of the window!!
  • Options
    enna_genna_g Posts: 2,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I have never been so scared and watched a lot through my fingers! I could not bear to look at the murderer's face. Very very creepy but I do like the supernatural aspect of it all. It does seem as someone has said previously that they are being influenced by something in the police station - perhaps ergot like the mould? That is giving them hallucinations. But then there was that ending!

I had to watch Supernatural afterwards for some light relief!
  • Options
    nairneynairney Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    There are also an awful lot of flies buzzing about the police station. Attracted by something mouldy / rotting?