Options

When would I lose my driving licence?

Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
Forum Member
Just coming to the end of my probationary period of 2 years, I passed my test on 14 May 2012. In that time, I would have stood to lose my licence if I had gone through 2 speed cameras, or 2 red light cameras or a combination of those etc, could quite easily be done perhaps. But after 14 May, Wednesday, I can have the usual 12 points and even then I wouldn't have to actually retake my theory and driving test to start driving again after a ban (in most cases).

So my question is very simple, if I went through two speed cameras on Wednesday itself and got 6 points would I still have my licence, or would I in fact have to do that on Thursday?

Comments

• Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    Just coming to the end of my probationary period of 2 years, I passed my test on 14 May 2012. In that time, I would have stood to lose my licence if I had gone through 2 speed cameras, or 2 red light cameras or a combination of those etc, could quite easily be done perhaps. But after 14 May, Wednesday, I can have the usual 12 points and even then I wouldn't have to actually retake my theory and driving test to start driving again after a ban (in most cases).

So my question is very simple, if I went through two speed cameras on Wednesday itself and got 6 points would I still have my licence, or would I in fact have to do that on Thursday?

If you’ve decided which two speed-cameras you are going to blast through, then wait till Thursday..........just to be on the safe side.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bri160356 wrote: »
    If you’ve decided which two speed-cameras you are going to blast through, then wait till Thursday..........just to be on the safe side.

Yes that's what I thought, but I've done well to avoid going through any, despite some near misses when I didn't know the area, and nearly one amber gamble too far, so my driving won't change at all, I'll just have less anxiety about it, and on any trips of any significant distance across the UK.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...when I didn't know the area...

You should drive even more cautiously in unknown areas so that's no excuse. If you don't continuously go over the limit then you'd never have anything to worry about - and that's from someone who used to drive like an idiot until they got done for speeding and then went through a red light...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Points are added from date of conviction, not date of offence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    You should drive even more cautiously in unknown areas so that's no excuse. If you don't continuously go over the limit then you'd never have anything to worry about - and that's from someone who used to drive like an idiot until they got done for speeding and then went through a red light...

To be honest I think I have done that anyway, but since they can get you for all sorts of things, I don't fancy taking my test again it was so stressful. so on Thursday will finally be free of that possibility.
  • Options
    Forum Member

So does that more or less mean that I couldn't really have my licence took away already?

And what if the date of conviction was Wednesday May 14?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    I think you have tempted fate and shouldn't drive again till Friday at the earliest :)
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    So is your aim to drive more recklessly after your probation period ends using the available 12 points as a buffer before you lose your licence?
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The entire tone of the OP scares me. Talk of 'they can get you' shows immaturity and a worrying lack of understanding. This isn't about earning points or being 'got'. It's about driving safely and every point on your license means you drove badly and possibly dangerously.

Speed cameras are often positioned at danger spots such as blind junctions so going past one over the limit is dangerous. Failing to spot the camera shows a lack of attention - they are never hidden and are usually quite obvious.

But the real kicker is the use of the phrase 'amber gamble' - that makes me think the OP should voluntarily hand their license in. They don't sound fit to be behind the wheel.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So is your aim to drive more recklessly after your probation period ends using the available 12 points as a buffer before you lose your licence?

Come on now, I don't think this is fair.

I remember what it was like.. you're only 'two 34's in a 30' away from losing your licence and it can be a bit scary.

Having 12 points to play with gives you psychologically more breathing room.
  • Options
    Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Come on now, I don't think this is fair.

I remember what it was like.. you're only 'two 34's in a 30' away from losing your licence and it can be a bit scary.

Having 12 points to play with gives you psychologically more breathing room.
    Andrue wrote: »
    The entire tone of the OP scares me. Talk of 'they can get you' shows immaturity and a worrying lack of understanding. This isn't about earning points or being 'got'. It's about driving safely and every point on your license means you drove badly and possibly dangerously.

Speed cameras are often positioned at danger spots such as blind junctions so going past one over the limit is dangerous. Failing to spot the camera shows a lack of attention - they are never hidden and are usually quite obvious.

But the real kicker is the use of the phrase 'amber gamble' - that makes me think the OP should voluntarily hand their license in. They don't sound fit to be behind the wheel.

I'm with you on this! Sounds like you aren't the type of driver that should have a license at all, if people need to count their points, or even think about them this way, it's a clear indicator they lack the chops to be a safe driver. Its well and good saying you might get caught out at 34 in a 30 or drive in an unfamiliar area, but you know what? Millions manage it without getting points, so the fault only lies with you.

Reckless driving is no joke, unless you've had to attend fatal road accidents, which I imagine your unlikely to have, then don't take it lightly, it is very traumatic, how quick things can get out of control, for you or an oncoming vehicle... And that's your life snuffed out, for a reckless move, or worse still you harm an innocent bystander or fellow driver, who just had the unfortunate luck to be on the same stretch of road.

You may think it's an overreaction, but if you rack up points like this, your going wrong somewhere, coming from a regular driver of 12 years that's never had one.
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It depends on the offence. All serious offences are from conviction whereas less serious offences, such as speeding, are from the date of the offence.

https://www.gov.uk/penalty-points-endorsements/endorsement-codes-and-penalty-points
  • Options
    Black BoxBlack Box Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes that's what I thought, but I've done well to avoid going through any, despite some near misses when I didn't know the area, and nearly one amber gamble too far, so my driving won't change at all, I'll just have less anxiety about it, and on any trips of any significant distance across the UK.

If you drive within the law, why would you have anxiety about it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A motoring lawyer would never answer a query like this with such condescending replies as a couple have here, is it really so hard to just answer the question, I don't want a hypothetical critique of my driving, I could be reckless or absolutely exemplary for all you know, all you've got is that I've avoided points up until this point, I haven't got any parking fines even, so draw your own conclusions.

Why don't they bring in rules in forums like this that you can't reply with condescending speculative rants as to a persons character. Just answer the damn question and if you've got nothing nice to say, just don't bother replying. You are not the police, you don't get a say in my licence so you'll just have to like it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rae_Roo wrote: »
    I'm with you on this! Sounds like you aren't the type of driver that should have a license at all, if people need to count their points, or even think about them this way, it's a clear indicator they lack the chops to be a safe driver. Its well and good saying you might get caught out at 34 in a 30 or drive in an unfamiliar area, but you know what? Millions manage it without getting points, so the fault only lies with you.

Reckless driving is no joke, unless you've had to attend fatal road accidents, which I imagine your unlikely to have, then don't take it lightly, it is very traumatic, how quick things can get out of control, for you or an oncoming vehicle... And that's your life snuffed out, for a reckless move, or worse still you harm an innocent bystander or fellow driver, who just had the unfortunate luck to be on the same stretch of road.

You may think it's an overreaction, but if you rack up points like this, your going wrong somewhere, coming from a regular driver of 12 years that's never had one.

Not sure why you quoted me - my post fundamentally disagrees with what you're saying.. and you seem to have gone utterly over the top.

My loose example of doing '34 in a 30' may or may not be reckless depending on the context. It often isn't though.

Speed alone does not kill or injure, it's speed in the wrong place and/or wrong time, often with other factors such as distractions.
    Black Box wrote: »
    If you drive within the law, why would you have anxiety about it?

I think this is a bit naive. Only a small minority of drivers rigidly drive 'within the law'. Even those who 'think' they do regularly make little slip ups.

Even the best, most careful drivers in the world will have done the classic '34 in a 30' at some point in their driving career, on a road which is otherwise safe - because arbitrary speed limits don't tell you anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not sure why you quoted me - my post fundamentally disagrees with what you're saying.. and you seem to have gone utterly over the top.

My loose example of doing '34 in a 30' may or may not be reckless depending on the context. It often isn't though.

Speed alone does not kill or injure, it's speed in the wrong place and/or wrong time, often with other factors such as distractions.

I think this is a bit naive. Only a small minority of drivers rigidly drive 'within the law'. Even those who 'think' they do regularly make little slip ups.

Even the best, most careful drivers in the world will have done the classic '34 in a 30' at some point in their driving career, on a road which is otherwise safe - because arbitrary speed limits don't tell you anything.

This!, those that think that the tone of my post means I'm a bad driver get over yourselves, I'm a normal driver, and probably fairly good.
    I bet those who think they drive like a robotic highway code and take a superior tone over someone they perceive as "lesser" like me, have actually driven a lot worse than they realise, that probably applies to the likes of Andrue, his sense of self-satisfaction probably giving him 90 miles to the gallon with the extra power it provides.

This is a good article on what is in reality an overly harsh penalty for those who have just passed their test, aimed at getting "boy racers" of course but instead making life harder for ordinary people.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/erinbaker/3654701/The_idiocy_of_the_twoyear_probation/

I feel it's worth highlighting this bit particularly from that article

"Much as I approve of all sorts of road safety initiatives, and much as I feel that, if you can’t spot a great big yellow Gatso on the side of the road, or the white markings on your lane, then you shouldn’t be driving/riding, it’s a bit unfair to strip people of their licences for two misdemeanors in two years.
    Six points in six months, OK, and six points in a year, possibly, but six points in two years? It’s harsh, when you think about speed guns in vans perched on blind brows, variable speed limits on empty motorways, gantry-mounted cameras through roadworks that have been cleared… it’s pretty easy to clock up six points. And then to have your licence not just suspended, but actually rescinded, is a nightmare proposition."

So after 2 years it's probably worth celebrating, because it is at this point that you now get to have the same driving licence that your parents etc had.
    And this celebration isn't as some pretty cynically minded people here have suggested down to a spirit of wanting to suddenly speed, go through red lights or become some sort of more reckless driver, which even saying you will now find driving more relaxing seems to imply., It is the very idea that you've now got a much better safety margin should anything go wrong, and for the very reasons that Hypnodisc even the most self-assured driver could have something go wrong and get points, and that's how I've felt for 2 years, every time I've gone to somewhere like the Midlands or London I've wondered if my driving licence will be coming back with me, and don't you dare retort with how it should be avoidable, we all bloody know that. Fact is they can give points for so many things nowadays as well that it could even be because something has just gone wrong with your tyres or something and you're wondering why I want to celebrate the end of a situation where something like this could lead to the loss of your entire driving licence, forcing you to book a new theory and driving test, perhaps fail a few times again before finally getting to go out again. Anyone that starts relying on their driving for something like work is going to be truly buggered aren't they!

Amber gambling is a difficult one, I think it can be hard to know when you can slow down or just get through. Am I an ambler gambler? Half and half probably, sometimes in the split second decision you make when you see the lights change, it is to slow down very quickly or I think I can get through.
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    How about driving safely full stop?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to drive the same way as always, and if I'm so dangerous, how the heck have I managed to survive the 2 year probation period at all, think of the logic. Your judgemental posts though mean nothing, because I will drive the same anyway, and am quite good at it, obviously.

The fact you think a 2 year probationary period is something that you need to survive, really says it all, if you can't see that, it's a lost cause.
    .... And how about just answering the question, instead of getting more judgemental about my driving style which really you don't know anything about, I have avoided points successfully, that will tell you something.

Yeah, that for a short while you've driven like normal people, the people who drive within the law, and safely.
    ...People talk about the revenue of speed cameras, but where's the revenue if they can take away your licence, unless they mean for driving test fees.

It's less about revenue i imagine, I would assume its for the safety of fellow road users, where someone has shown an inbility to maintain reasonable driving standards.
  • Options
    maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought doing over 100 on a motorway was an automatic ban but it doesn't look like it is having read the link...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    I can understand OP wanting to mark the end of his probationary period. When I took my test it was 6 months and was relieved when I knew I wouldn't be forced to pass my test again (although I passed first time I was very nervous). 15+ years later and zero points ever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I quoted you because of your 34 in a 30 reference.

Speed alone CAN kill or injure, I don't know where you base your stance on this, mine is from attending these types of scenes, where if a driver had been driving slower they may have survived a crash, or their passengers might have, regardless of additional circumstances.

When the variable is speed and all other circumstances are the same, your survivability will increase as speed decreases. Your wrong place, wrong time, is just excuses, anywhere can be the wrong place when driving, and anytime could be the worse time of your life.

Drivers are of course only human, we are not infallible, but the good thing is I bet most long term drivers have never been in this OPs position, why?

They know how to drive, obey speed signs, observant of lights, adhere to changing road directions, generally have the ability to not rack up points like there's a prize at the end.
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    OP, maybe you should drive into a few people to relax a bit. if you're lucky it might be Andrue or me. Don't do it until after your probation period though. We wouldn't want you losing your licence would we?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact you think a 2 year probationary period is something that you need to survive, really says it all, if you can't see that, it's a lost cause.

Like I said earlier in the thread. I understand what the OP is saying, and I experienced the same worry myself even though I never accrued any points - because I drove carefully.

It isn't hard to understand. It's a psychological fear.
    This is probably coming from people who appreciate the importance of having fellow competent drivers on the road. You inability to register this aspect of the OPs posts beggars belief, and speaks volumes.

Whether you condone this or do drive like this yourself, it is no excuse for implying we are all the same, because we are not. Whether you probably do it yourself or not, I know I sure as heck don't, and I bet plenty here don't either, I made my reasons clear in an earlier post why. Trust me, it would change your naive attitude.

Blimey.. I don't think you 'get it' at all.

Before I put this blindingly obvious bit of information before you I'll point out that I drive for a living. I've never claimed on insurance - ever (god-knows how many NCB's) and I have a completely clean licence. You know nothing about my driving, and whatever you think you do know is wrong.

Anyway, here's the salient info I was trying to explain quite clumsily before:

Because of arbitrary limits sometimes the law wont always be technically 'correct' in that you may break a law designed with safety in mind, when in fact nothing unsafe has occurred.

A perfect example of that would be a mere 31 in a 30. Illegal but just no more dangerous in any practical or appreciable terms than 30.

I actually struggle to believe you've NEVER gone at 31 in a 30 unless you sit there staring at your dashboard so intently you're not paying adequate attention to the road.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quoted you because of your 34 in a 30 reference.

Speed alone CAN kill or injure, I don't know where you base your stance on this, mine is from attending these types of scenes, where if a driver had been driving slower they may have survived a crash, or their passengers might have, regardless of additional circumstances.

When the variable is speed and all other circumstances are the same, your survivability will increase as speed decreases. Your wrong place, wrong time, is just excuses, anywhere can be the wrong place when driving, and anytime could be the worse time of your life.

Drivers are of course only human, we are not infallible, but the good thing is I bet most long term drivers have never been in this OPs position, why?

They know how to drive, obey speed signs, observant of lights, adhere to changing road directions, generally have the ability to not rack up points like there's a prize at the end.

Yes, of course it can.

But the difference between 30 and 31, or even 30 and 34 is going to be fairly negligible. Just about everything else matters a damn sight more.

I'm not advocating shooting around everywhere at 40 in a 30, read my posts, all I'm saying is just about everybody accidentally creeps over the speed limit from time to time..,

and all it takes is for that to happen twice for you to lose your licence in your first 2 years.

Scary stuff!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like I said earlier in the thread. I understand what the OP is saying, and I experienced the same worry myself even though I never accrued any points - because I drove carefully.

It isn't hard to understand. It's a psychological fear.

Blimey.. I don't think you 'get it' at all.

Before I put this blindingly obvious bit of information before you I'll point out that I drive for a living. I've never claimed on insurance - ever (god-knows how many NCB's) and I have a completely clean licence. You know nothing about my driving, and whatever you think you do know is wrong.

Anyway, here's the salient info I was trying to explain quite clumsily before:

Because of arbitrary limits sometimes the law wont always be technically 'correct' in that you may break a law designed with safety in mind, when in fact nothing unsafe has occurred.

A perfect example of that would be a mere 31 in a 30. Illegal but just no more dangerous in any practical or appreciable terms than 30.

I actually struggle to believe you've NEVER gone at 31 in a 30 unless you sit there staring at your dashboard so intently you're not paying adequate attention to the road.

Oh I get it me dear, I get it. I don't know your driving, I only know your previous responses to this post, that aside whether someone has driven 31 in a 30 zone, or not, there has to be a cut off somewhere. You are bashing this 30 zone thing like you have a vendetta against it?

I'm not interested in that as much as the amber gamble and the hints of inability in driving in new areas etc mentioned by the OP and others earlier. Your really trying to push a point that really is absurd, if your caught by cops it'll be their discretion whether they accept your 32 in a 30 etc, speed cameras, well if your paying attention, you'll be ok most of the time.

Trying to goad my ability to drive at the speed limit and having never had a point, is a pretty futile argument, it's the stance on the OP I have issue with not your 30 zone obsession.
This discussion has been closed.