Coronation Street - Suspension of Reality (Part 8)

Comments

• piimapoikapiimapoika Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Did Kylie really say something on the lines of : "do you want an ex-jailbird in the house?"?

Has she forgotten (or doesn't she know) that both david and gail have been in prison?

OTT, but does anyone have any views on whether the repeated question mark at the end of the first sentence is correct? Given that it's a question about a question.

Modern English Usage by Henry Fowler is the fount of all wisdom when it comes to English grammar. I quote: "Where . . . strict logic would require two symbols, one each side of the inverted comma, logic must respect appearances and be content with one."

The examples given are:
    Did you say "Am I my brother's keeper"?
    How heartrending was their cry "We are lost"!

In other words, keep the one right at the end of the sentence and drop the other.
  • MeldrewmanMeldrewman Posts: 3,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    piimapoika wrote: »
    Modern English Usage by Henry Fowler is the fount of all wisdom when it comes to English grammar. I quote: "Where . . . strict logic would require two symbols, one each side of the inverted comma, logic must respect appearances and be content with one."

The examples given are:

In other words, keep the one right at the end of the sentence and drop the other.

Still learning at 64 - thank you!
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member

The examples given are:

That's all very well for people of our age, but younger people take no notice of Fowler because he isn't "modern".

Originally written in 1926, with the last revised edition published in 2004, I doubt that it contains any reference to "could of", "should of", "would of" instead of the correct "could've", "should've", "would've" explaining the "'ve" is a shortening of the word "have" and has no association at all to do with the word "of". Apart from being pedantic about apostrophes, that's my biggest irritation with both spoken and written English by young people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    That's all very well for people of our age, but younger people take no notice of Fowler because he isn't "modern".

Originally written in 1926, with the last revised edition published in 2004, I doubt that it contains any reference to "could of", "should of", "would of" instead of the correct "could've", "should've", "would've" explaining the "'ve" is a shortening of the word "have" and has no association at all to do with the word "of". Apart from being pedantic about apostrophes, that's my biggest irritation with both spoken and written English by young people.

Without deflecting this thread too much away from SORs - I share this irritation and you hit the nail on the head in your comment. I've "bolded" - individuals who make these errors do so because they've heard the terms - but not read them.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    stevepjk wrote: »
    now David don't want Max out of school or they'll get a fine, saw loads of kids about today so a lot of families just paying up and takeing them out of school anyway

lots of wide shots of the street today

i was glad they at lease referred to the fines - it didn't bother Maria when she whisked Liam off to Cyprus
  • chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meldrewman wrote: »
    Without deflecting this thread too much away from SORs - I share this irritation and you hit the nail on the head in your comment. I've "bolded" - individuals who make these errors do so because they've heard the terms - but not read them.

Totally agree: (to my wife's embarassment), I photograph the obvious errors, (usually the misplaced apostrophe), and post them online. (P.S. I was taught to put commas either side of a statement in brackets).
    Forum Member
    Abriel wrote: »
    i was glad they at lease referred to the fines - it didn't bother Maria when she whisked Liam off to Cyprus
    Are we to assume that not only do David and Kylie have passports, but Max and the baby (assuming they haven't forgotten they have her) do too? With the current hold-ups at the Passport office, they won't get one in a hurry if they need one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chestfield wrote: »
    Totally agree: (to my wife's embarassment), I photograph the obvious errors, (usually the misplaced apostrophe), and post them online. (P.S. I was taught to put commas either side of a statement in brackets).

We're a dying breed. :(
  • willrelf92willrelf92 Posts: 15,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The examples given are:

It also tends to depend on whether the quote is a question or not, so for the first example the question mark would be inside the quotation marks and on the second one, the exclamation mark would either be inside the quotation marks or it'd be a question mark outside instead of the exclamation mark.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The examples given are:

Thanks, I can't recall ever thinking about this before.
    Meldrewman wrote: »
    Still learning at 64 - thank you!

And I at .... err...and me at ..... Same here, and I'm 71.
  • onemorearrowonemorearrow Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    willrelf92 wrote: »
    It also tends to depend on whether the quote is a question or not, so for the first example the question mark would be inside the quotation marks and on the second one, the exclamation mark would either be inside the quotation marks or it'd be a question mark outside instead of the exclamation mark.

In the second example the "how" is the exclamatory form, not an interrogator. It would be two exclamation marks were one not elided for reasons of style. And it's always the mark outside the speech marks that is retained, as the above examples both demonstrated.
  • willrelf92willrelf92 Posts: 15,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the second example the "how" is the exclamatory form, not an interrogator. It would be two exclamation marks were one not elided for reasons of style. And it's always the mark outside the speech marks that is retained, as the above examples both demonstrated.
    Yeah, I realised after I posted that the use of the 'how' is in a different context in that particular sentence. But queston marks, exclamation marks and the like more commonly go inside the quotation marks, unless the quote isn't a question or exclamation.
    Forum Member
    I like the idea of the interrobang - a combined question mark/exclamation mark (one on top of the other) for instances when a question is really an exclamation, such as "What the heck?!" ASCII is supposed to be Alt+8253, but I can't get it to work.

In Corrie scripts there should be loads of those because characters are frequently asking questions that are really an exclamation and they don't actually want an answer.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    stevepjk wrote: »
    now David don't want Max out of school or they'll get a fine, saw loads of kids about today so a lot of families just paying up and takeing them out of school anyway
    This, have they even sought permission from the headteacher?
    ewoodie wrote: »
    What was the conclusion of the iron burn on the carpet with Kylie & Gail?
    Not guilty.
    Since the factory has reopened do we assume Carla got some orders?
    Yes.
    Isn't it about time Frizzy Izzy had a hair cut?
    Can she afford it? :(
    How come Max has suddenly developed ADHD?
    Plot device. :p
    Zebstriker wrote: »
    The baby serves no purpose now that they have done the traumatic labour and the who's the daddy storylines. We wont see her again until she's ready to go to school.
    :D:D:D
    I like the idea of the interrobang - a combined question mark/exclamation mark (one on top of the other) for instances when a question is really an exclamation, such as "What the heck?!" ASCII is supposed to be Alt+8253, but I can't get it to work.

In Corrie scripts there should be loads of those because characters are frequently asking questions that are really an exclamation and they don't actually want an answer.
    ‽ ‽ ‽ :D

Haven't read Modern English Usage in years. :eek:
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why was Les Dennis (can't remember the character name!) sacked? His boss said he already knew about his previous conviction and was giving him another chance.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Are we to assume that not only do David and Kylie have passports, but Max and the baby (assuming they haven't forgotten they have her) do too? With the current hold-ups at the Passport office, they won't get one in a hurry if they need one.

They could have a scene at the passport office where Kylie kicks off at them too
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why was Les Dennis (can't remember the character name!) sacked? His boss said he already knew about his previous conviction and was giving him another chance.

I wondered that. He didnt even kick the door down on the shed that Max was stuck in so not sure on what grounds he got sacked for!
  • GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wondered that. He didnt even kick the door down on the shed that Max was stuck in so not sure on what grounds he got sacked for!

Probably for attracting unwanted attention which would have possibly affected the business.
    So through no real fault of his own, he was sacked.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This, have they even sought permission from the headteacher?......................

That's a bit difficult at one school. where the head has taken a two week holiday, during term time, to go to Brazil to enjoy (?) the football.
    Forum Member

‽ ‽ ‽ :D

Haven't read Modern English Usage in years. :eek:
    Show off!!!:D:D:D
  • HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member

I have no idea who you are, just a name on the internet, but, from this post alone, I think I love you! :blush::):):)
  • owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See that Max has suddenly developed a change of character personality:o
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've only just caught up with Mondays episode, but would the police really attend the funeral of the victim of a murder they were investigating.

I believe they do.
  • GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, quite normal.
  • RedpoppyRedpoppy Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When did this lax use of grammar and spelling start? Is teaching of grammar and spelling in schools really that bad these days? Most children of 'our' generation were taught correctly so why has it all gone wrong?
    My biggest bugbear is the incorrect use of 'there', 'their' and 'they're'!
This discussion has been closed.