How to keep cool at night?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    Yes, and the wine list was non-existant too.

Did you order from the food menu? I wasn't impressed :D
  • Seth1Seth1 Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Put the fan on the window ledge pointing outwards so it blows the hot air out.

Unplug all appliances so that they stop generating heat.

Set up a hammock. Very comfortable and air reaches more body surface.

Sleep like an Egyptian.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Swap your blanket for a light wool shawl. I've been using one since April and sleep a lot better for it. I guess it's the holes in the weave that make it a lot cooler.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    Avoid medium/high calories food from at least two hours before you get into bed....no sweets, cakes and sugary food.
  • TheGreatKatsbyTheGreatKatsby Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    Cheruman wrote: »
    Wear sunglasses and a leather jacket.

Hahaha. Very funny :D

If you wake up in the middle of the night, flip round so that your head is at the opposite end of the bed where your feet were. And of course turn the pillow to the cool side.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The heat is not bothering me , I sleep better when it is hot it is nice not to be shivering at night
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »
    The heat is not bothering me , I sleep better when it is hot it is nice not to be shivering at night

In a few short weeks time that will be the big topic along with fuel prices.! :D
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    In a few short weeks time that will be the big topic along with fuel prices.! :D

At least you will never be cold Ann. :)

Witches burn in Hell! :D
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Immerse yourself in a vat of liquid nitrogen.

Mind you I am not quite sure of the true health benefits of this course of action. :confused:

You'll snap into hundreds of pieces :eek:
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got the fan on right now!

I don't you my blanket that much, I took the duvet out and use the covers! :D
  • feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my bedroom, completely nude, getting blown off in this hot weather...
    God Bless you ceiling fan
  • Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't sleep due to the heat so had my bedroom window open, this helped and I found myself dozing off only to be woken by a bloody alarm that won't stop going off :mad: Think someones broken into the shop across the road. From now on I'll suffer the heat, this is bloody torture.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Install air-con in the bedroom if it affects you that much, I'd say.

You (or someone previously) installed central heating to keep the room warm in winter, so it makes sense to invest in something to keep it cool in summer..... that is if this so-called 'heat' makes you uncomfortable.
  • Seth1Seth1 Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    feckit wrote: »
    God Bless you ceiling fan

That's where you're going wrong. You should be reversing the blades so that the hot air is drawn up and out of the window
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rachael. wrote: »
    I couldn't sleep due to the heat so had my bedroom window open, this helped and I found myself dozing off only to be woken by a bloody alarm that won't stop going off :mad: Think someones broken into the shop across the road. From now on I'll suffer the heat, this is bloody torture.

*sigh* there's nothing worse than just getting to sleep and then being woken! :cry:

Hope you're sleeping soundly now. :)
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    feckit wrote: »

T...M...I !! :p
  • feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T...M...I !! :p

:D I am glad you could see it was a bit of humour:):D
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    For me, nothing works.

I've had a cold shower, drip dried, sipped iced water with lemon, am wearing just a sleeveless cotton top, window is wide open, lights off, no covers on the bed.....

and still I'm boiling hot!
  • EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    I'm struggling to keep cool day or night

Having a lot of trouble sleeping atm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just put two large sport wristbands on and soaked them under the tap. it feels nice and cool
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It might sound counter intuitive but at night you should use your fan to blow hot air out of your house. Don't just position the fan to blow onto you.

The best technique is to position the fan right in front of a large upstairs window blowing the warm air out of the building. Then you open a downstairs window to let cooler air into the building. Close all other windows. You've then created an airflow system where the hot air at the top of the house is being forced out and the negative pressure this creates is sucking in the cooler air downstairs. As the fan continues to push the upstairs air out the window, the cooler air coming in downstairs will be drawn upstairs and the whole house will cool significantly.

Of course this only works at night when the outside temperature is much cooler than inside.

And I agree strongly with the poster who said to keep your curtains drawn during the day to stop the sunlight glaring through the windows and heating up the house. Keep internal doors shut aswell.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I agree strongly with the poster who said to keep your curtains drawn during the day to stop the sunlight glaring through the windows

I do this a lot, but i'm finding that being a flat, I seem to spend a lot longer in the 'dark' than I normally would and it does affect my eyes every now and again.

What I've been doing a lot as well is using one of these ..

http://www.screwfix.com/p/masterplug-digital-programmable-7-day-timer-240v/33463

.. with my desktop fan plugged in to it at the of my bed. With the multiple timer settings you can set it to go on and off at regular intervals throughout the night while you sleep.
  • kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Install air-con in the bedroom if it affects you that much, I'd say.

You (or someone previously) installed central heating to keep the room warm in winter, so it makes sense to invest in something to keep it cool in summer..... that is if this so-called 'heat' makes you uncomfortable.

Would be a bit of a folly installation A/C in a lot of regions as would only get used for a few days here and there. Heating on the other hand is a necessity :D

Best method I've found so far is a cool pad on my feet, a cold shower and fresh bedsheets. Bliss. Oh, and go naked.
  • ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I decided to sleep with the window open last night, only to be woken by some a-hole seagulls squawking at 3am :(
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    I hate being hot (it really aggravates my arthritis) so....

Daytime...

> fans in living room
    > blinds shut when sun is on them (open when not)
    > foot bath with cold water
    > 'spritzer' to spray cold water onto face
    > several times in afternoon/early evening I go outside and hold the hose so I get 'rained on' and thoroughly drench my legs and feet.

Nighttime
    > keep blinds/curtains/doors shut upstairs during the day
    > fan in bedroom
    > use a sheet not a duvet
    > cold drench of legs and feet before bed (not a full shower, it wakes me up too much)
    > spritzer by side of the bed
    > freezing cold wet flannel on neck
    > when it is really bad I also use headphones and 'thunderstorm' rain sounds.