Options

Has the oncoming storm come yet?

Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Or is anyone looking forward to the storm landing?

Comments

• Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michael Fish dismissed the idea and said "Don't worry, there isn't." after Dalek Caan phoned the BBC to report an oncoming storm.
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you mean? I'm confused? :confused:

Are you being serious, or are you just having a bit of a laugh? :p
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Judge, the "Oncoming Storm" was the Tenth Doctor. There's a reason we haven't heard that name for five years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    When Capaldi puts his foot up Davros' arse, you know it's arrived.

Lol at Dalek Caan tittering away with a phone in one tentacle. "you are through to the BBC, we really value your call, please continue to hold (Eastenders theme played on a Casio keyboard plays)".
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    JAS84 wrote: »
    Judge, the "Oncoming Storm" was the Tenth Doctor. There's a reason we haven't heard that name for five years.

We have. The Ninth, Tenth and Eleventh Doctors have all used it, as recently as Asylum of the Daleks. Although I suppose the Daleks may not have that part of their shared mythology any more.
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    We have. The Ninth, Tenth and Eleventh Doctors have all used it, as recently as Asylum of the Daleks. Although I suppose the Daleks may not have that part of their shared mythology any more.
    We can't know for sure, but I like to think when the dalek's found out about the doctor again they would have accessed all data of him and found out everything they should know about the history between them and him.
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A part of me, was having a laugh and the other part was asking a serious question. I love it when everyone else joins in though, thanks people who brought up Michael Fish :) I always thought if anyone would phone up to predict an oncoming storm ..... it would be the ood :)

I was also being slightly serious and very impressed no one has mentioned the valeyard yet the forum is certainly quiet, but I'm sure someone will at some point, we tend to be very predictable really:D

So Ten said he was the oncoming storm, well we are now further along in the Doctors' timeline - did the storm come ? Is the Doctor the oncoming Storm, or was just Ten the oncoming storm? Will it ever come? Should I just give it a rest :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Whether asked in seriousness or not, I think the answer is that he is always 'the oncoming storm' to the daleks, because he is always the force of nature which rains down upon them whenever the try to execute their best laid plans. RTD just came up with a nickname that emphasized this point in an eloquent way.

As already mentioned by others, it has been used by all three revived series doctors and I think that because it will always be relevant that even if they didn't use the nickname for 10 years, some writer in that time could use it again and it would still fit the bill, just as it could be used to describe any of the past doctors relationship with the daleks.

I Also think Moffats 'predator of the daleks' is quite a good one too.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    The Lonely God was another nice one. But 'The Oncoming Storm' is my favourite, especially since this was a name the Daleks came up with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »
    The Lonely God was another nice one. But 'The Oncoming Storm' is my favourite, especially since this was a name the Daleks came up with.
    Lonely God is a little too on-the-nose. I like Oncoming Storm because although the Daleks would never admit to actually being afraid of the Doctor, they have to recognise that he will sweep in and turn their plans upside-down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »
    yeah a bit strange when you think about it. A nickname like 'the oncoming storm' suggests creativity and artistic flair in the mind of the person who came up with it, being that it's not just a staight forward description, so a bit strange for it to come from the daleks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yeah a bit strange when you think about it. A nickname like 'the oncoming storm' suggests creativity and artistic flair in the mind of the person who came up with it, being that it's not just a staight forward description, so a bit strange for it to come from the daleks.

Unless it came from one of the mad ones.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whether asked in seriousness or not, I think the answer is that he is always 'the oncoming storm' to the daleks, because he is always the force of nature which rains down upon them whenever the try to execute their best laid plans. RTD just came up with a nickname that emphasized this point in an eloquent way.

"The Oncoming Storm" dates back further that RTD.

It was the name the Draconians gave to the Doctor in the 1992 novel "Love and War" by Paul Cornell.

It may even go further back than that.
  • Options
    thorrthorr Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Oncoming Storm: was also the epithet given to him by the Draconians, ("Karshtakavaar" in Draconian) who were generally the Doctor's allies, to indicate the traumatic events which so often accompanied his arrival.

Personally, I prefer the alias Him with the Bow Tie!