Peter Cabaldi looks rather old in the new trailer

Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Saw it during the World Cup Final tonight. It looks quite good but I was struck how old Mr Cabald looks. I suppose you can't help some shock reaction going from Matt Smith's youthful Doctor to Cabaldi's version but taking that into account he does look old and creasy. I wonder if younger viewers will be put off by an older Doctor?

It's possible Cabaldi will play it a little less zany as befits his more mature age? Perhaps. Be interesting to see how he approaches the role (accepting the fact it's still a Moffat produced show and not going to be radically different from previous Moffat produced/written DW series).

Comments

• bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the opposite, I was surprised at how young he looked.
  • QuantumLeapQuantumLeap Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who's Cabaldi?
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    Saw it during the World Cup Final tonight. It looks quite good but I was struck how old Mr Cabald looks. I suppose you can't help some shock reaction going from Matt Smith's youthful Doctor to Cabaldi's version but taking that into account he does look old and creasy. I wonder if younger viewers will be put off by an older Doctor?

It's possible Cabaldi will play it a little less zany as befits his more mature age? Perhaps. Be interesting to see how he approaches the role (accepting the fact it's still a Moffat produced show and not going to be radically different from previous Moffat produced/written DW series).

a) his name is Capaldi, not Cabaldi.

b) Good.

I for one was getting a little tired of actors chosen to appeal to teenage girls who created sites where they could squee and claim that they 'wanted to have xxxx's babies.'

Hopefully the show IS returning to the beginning with the new set of regenerations and we see actors chosen to play the Doctor who are older than the recent bunch.

Experience is more important than looks. ]
    You sound very shallow to me.
  • Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, I'm gonna make a prediction...

If Peter Cabaldi doesn't have a twinkle in the eyes - the ability to suggest warmth or comedy - I feel the ratings are going to plummet.

Re his name - it's a running joke I have on DS. I always call him Cabaldi. :D

His delivery has none of the zest Matt Smith brought to the role. This guy seems worn out. What a disappointing choice of Doctor. He looks and acts tired (no offence meant, Peter!).
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I....

No.
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) the fan girls are as entitled to a share of the show as anyone else.

2) Peter Capaldi looks a bit more silver haired than I remembered but other than that I thought he looked like the mad slightly dangerous Doctor we were promised.

3) age isn't that important to playing the doctor - it's that special spark that makes a good doctor. DT had it, MS had it and PC has it. The fan girls are going to love him - just in a slightly different way to Matt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Mr Cabaldi will fail as the Doctor (no trolling, honest) because he has

A) none of the charm and energy Matt Smith brought to the role.

B) too old for the teenage audience.

There's no reason why anyone, say, under 16 years old, will want to watch/relate to an older Doctor. That may be a superficial reason but I just can't imagine teens and pre-teens texting each other or tweeting and saying "can't wait to see Peter Capaldi in the new Doctor Who series!" I can't imagine them being that excited by this guy. Sorry, just my humble opinion. Perhaps I will be proven wrong. New era Doctor Who has never had a much older Doctor so it is a big risk.

Another potential problem is this guy's eyes. Kinda cold looking. Michael Caine once said acting was all in the eyes and there's no twinkle in Mr Capaldi's eyes. If his eyes can't convey any warmth then he's going to struggle to get viewers interested in watching his exploits. Don't underestimate the power of some actors to convey charm or warmth or some 'it' quality that makes them likable. I don't see it in this guy at all. Being a great actor doesn't mean you are likable or can engage people with your acting.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member

There's no reason why anyone, say, under 16 years old, will want to watch/relate to an older Doctor. That may be a superficial reason but I just can't imagine teens and pre-teens texting each other or tweeting and saying "can't wait to see Peter Capaldi in the new Doctor Who series!" I can't imagine them being that excited by this guy. Sorry, just my humble opinion. Perhaps I will be proven wrong. New era Doctor Who has never had a much older Doctor so it is a big risk.
    My sister turned 13 this week, and she is looking forward to the new series immensely. Her two favourite Doctor's are Eccleston and Smith - the same as me funnily enough. She swooned over Tennant for a while, but decided outside of a few catchphrases his Doctor was so rooted in non-quirky human sentiment that his companions were infinitely more interesting than he was and his Doctor isn't actually that memorable - that's just her opinion, as a 13 year old girl.

On the contrary, a friend of mine who is nearing her thirties is put off from watching the new series because of "the old guy". She's complaining she'll have no eye candy any more.

Fans can always surprise you. And the best shows don't need eye candy to trail them along. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I added to my last post:
    Another potential problem is this guy's eyes. Kinda cold looking. Michael Caine once said acting was all in the eyes and there's no twinkle in Mr Capaldi's eyes. If his eyes can't convey any warmth then he's going to struggle to get viewers interested in watching his exploits. Don't underestimate the power of some actors to convey charm or warmth or some 'it' quality that makes them likable. I don't see it in this guy at all.

Let's wait and see!
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a William Hartnell fan, then? Patrick and Jon not your cup of tea?

They were great. And really quite successful. It's not Hollyoaks, you know. :p
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,929
    Forum Member

Another potential problem is this guy's eyes. Kinda cold looking. Michael Caine once said acting was all in the eyes and there's no twinkle in Mr Capaldi's eyes. If his eyes can't convey any warmth then he's going to struggle to get viewers interested in watching his exploits. Don't underestimate the power of some actors to convey charm or warmth or some 'it' quality that makes them likable. I don't see it in this guy at all. Being a great actor doesn't mean you are likable or can engage people with your acting.

Are you aware of how old Liz Sladen was when she was the lead in the very popular CBBC spin off Sarah Jane Adventures? The kids seemed to have no trouble relating to her.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Too old for the teenage audience?

Can I just point out that reliable heartthrob Paul McGann is only two years younger than Capaldi. There are those who see Capaldi as a very attractive man - and he has plenty of twinkle in those much-discussed, highly-regarded eyes.

Anybody who believes Capaldi can't do warmth or humour, should go and watch Capaldi.
  • PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the Doctor is several thousand years old by this point. Perhaps he's SUPPOSED to look old?
  • PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Too old for the teenage audience?

Can I just point out that reliable heartthrob Paul McGann is only two years younger than Capaldi.

I actually had to Google this; Paul McGann is 54?! WHUT?! No, I'm not some squelchy fangirl, I'm a male in my mid twenties and I have no attraction to Mr McGann. However, I am INCREDIBLY shocked at his age.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    I....

No.

Exactly. I actually typed out a response to this nonsense. But I won't risk my membership of this forum saying what I really want to say about the embarrassing nonsense repeated ad nauseum by the OP.

That joke isn't funny anymore. It never was. Give up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    The incredible lack of 'P''s in Capaldi's name by the OP is disturbing. It must be fixed.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The incredible lack of 'P''s in Capaldi's name by the OP is disturbing. It must be fixed.

He thinks its hilarious. He is sorely wrong.
  • QuantumLeapQuantumLeap Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stop taking his bait and let the thread die along with his ego.
  • SeventeenSeventeen Posts: 435
    Forum Member

Look, you clearly don't like him really. You haven't warmed to him. Maybe your opinion will change, maybe it won't. But you can't really think that kids & teens across the world won't/can't enjoy a character because of his looks or age? You're projecting agism that kids simply don't possess.

A 15 year old relates to a 30 year old no more than they do a 50 year old. Especially one who's playing a 2000 year old alien from a different planet. Relatability doesn't even come into it. The character will either be fun to watch or he won't.
    Forum Member
    I love Tennant and Smith in their own ways, but Capaldi suits the role of the Doctor a lot better. I know in the Day of the Doctor Gallifrey was 'saved', but I can't imagine the Doctor still not feeling the psychological strain of the Time War even with the knowledge he saved Gallifrey. He still experienced it, and I'm sure the death and destruction will still haunt him regardless. I think by what I've read and seen so far Capaldi is good at playing a broken man, a dark mysterious man from another world, someone who actively seeks danger and also is hunted by danger. I just see Capaldi outperforming his two predecessors as a post Time War Doctor very well. Although, the strain of the Time War seems to have nullified from as far back as Series 5, but maybe Matt didn't want to play a Doctor who let such experiences hinder the adventure and quirkiness of the Doctor?
    Forum Member
    I think the OP will be eating sour grapes when he lays eyes on the series opener next month because my curiosity led me to watching the uncut version of the episode and I didn't need to added CGI and music to tell just how good Capaldi is as the Doctor, he even makes Jenna shine brightly in my eyes too, and I love Clara. Even more so now.
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Serious question - how is it a joke if all you are doing is pointlessly and deliberately mispelling a name? Surely a joke needs to be funny to be a joke?

Shall I call you Roy Smeth? Ha ha ha, I spelt your name wrong, what a joke!
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,935
    Forum Member
    And the joke is just as funny now as it was the first time you made it!
    That is to say, not at all.
    Of course if Peter Capaldi really was bald..........
    But just in case you hadn't noticed, he isn't!
    :D
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As with Saladfingers, I was almost reluctant to respond to yet another one of your anti-Capaldi posts. How many has it been now?

However, I felt the need to counteract your argument because you continuously go on about young people connecting with an older Doctor as if they are the only ones watching the show.

Do you not think an older audience actually watches the show too? I can tell you from my work experience and visiting people's homes and from friends and family that there is a huge age range in people watching the show. Some people even older than the show itself still watch it and from comments I've received they are well pleased that an Older Doctor is back in the role like the Classic Doctors they were brought up on as kids.

So you see, the older audience is just as important as the younger ones, Doctor Who caters for all ages and you can bang on endlessly about how he will fail, how much you don't like him, but Moffat is not suddenly going to recast The Doctor just because you don't like him. If it bothers you that much that an older Doctor is the role, there is a big red button on your remote control called the off button. Just press it and then you won't have to watch him, will you?
    DiscoP wrote: »
    Are you aware of how old Liz Sladen was when she was the lead in the very popular CBBC spin off Sarah Jane Adventures? The kids seemed to have no trouble relating to her.

This is such great counterargument which has been pointed out to the OP before in his many previous threads on the subject, one of which I have yet to see him respond too.

:)
    Forum Member

I'm not one for force feeding people humble pie, but I am 17, a mere teenager, and I've never been more excited for an actor to take on the role of a character in a TV show ever. I have high respect for Peter, I find him an enthralling actor. I got two friends interested in Doctor Who last month and they too are aware of Capaldi's work, mostly the latest BBC series The Musketeers and when they saw that, they instantly shared my respect and excitement for such a richly produced actor to take on the reins of one of the greatest TV heroes ever to be created. Therefore, your thoughts are wrong.