Options

BT Vision on more than one TV

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but it has now become an issue that I am keen to find a solution.
Although I have Sky+, I also have BT Vision and now that they are offering ESPN as part of their package for 'free', I would like to watch the football on another TV. Is there functionality like SKY's 'Multi-room'?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    we have just had all our sky dish etc removed and new digital ariel installed ready for BT VISION. i had been on to the bt vision web site and asked the question "can i watch bt vision on another tv" up popped a page stateing that if not using a HDMI cable then you could connect upto 4 tvs using either 2 scart sockets, rf output or vidio s clip. so our new bt vision box arrived and was set up relativly easely. however when we tried to connect the tv in the bedroom via the rf output we could get no picture. i contacted the bt vision help line only to be informed that bt vision was not multi room capable. i directed the advisor to ther own web page and they agreed that the web site did indeed state that i could connect upto 4 tvs to my box. so after many more phone calls and emails bt vision have decided to set there engineers the task of updating the software in the bt vision box to actually allow multi room function via rf output how long this will take i have no idea. i do feel that i have been miss sold bt vision and have spent a lot of money having sky removed and digital ariel installed. i have contacted consumer direct who have informed me that, due to there miss information, if i wish bt vision will have to get me back to the position i was in before we agreed to have bt vision, ie reinstall sky and reimburse me the cost of having digital ariel installed (we only had a sky dish before). where we go from here i have still to decide, perhaps i can get bt to let me have free viewing untill the engineers work there majic. i will update this reply next week when bt get back to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    One way around this is to do what I have done today and to use a 2nd BT Vision box, which can be bought cheaply enough from ebay. I got hold of one for £18 including delivery and hooked it up today.

BT do not apparently officially support this and advice from others who have done this is that it can and will cause problems.

One thing that happened, which I am at a loss to explain and would appreciate being enlightened about, is this:

Within one hour (and possibly much less, I only noticed it after an hour) of hooking up the 2nd (older, white 1st generation, ebay) vision box, did I notice that the recordings made downstairs (on a new, black box, only 2 weeks old) were available to watch on the new box.

I then noticed the recordings were missing from the original box on which I made them. They were simply gone. Vanished! "no recordings available". Why and where are they?

I did a hard reset of the old (but new to me!) ebay-box and the recordings re-appeared! They are still missing from the original box! Upon playing them back, however, they are not playing as well as they should, quite choppy with intermittent sound. In fact one recording, which I know recorded faultlessly since I already watched it appeared on the ebay machine and was choppy and unwatchable... All this is to me unfathomable.

How is this possible, when allegedly the programmes are taped on to an internal HDD?

Many thanks for any explanation.

Incidentally, the recording switch-a-rama notwithstanding, it appears that both boxes work extremely well and that both are capable of streaming the on demand content, which is the main reason why I wanted to try it for the bedroom in the 1st place.

The ESPN card does not unlock the content on the 2nd box, which is what you would expect.

I obviously dont understand how the box works, but I am guessing the recorded data is not stored on the HDD, rather it is streamed from a server.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I too had the same set up as the previous poster a BT Vision box in the living room and one in the bed room and I too lost all the recordings I had on the box in the living room I also had to get a new box in the end for the living room as it soon just stopped recording programmes and the ones that it did record there was no picture or sound? When I got the new box as I was still in my first years contract the engineer came out to inspect the broken box and I asked him why this happened why I should loose all my recordings and he said that every thing that is recorded is logged at the BT Vision HQ and that when you try to use another box in the same house at the same time as the first box the header for the programme is fetched from BT Vision HQ and as each box has it's own serial number the programme that handles the programme headers cant cope with the wrong serial number asking for the header to start the play back because at the same time it can also see that you have another box connected with another serial number so it gets confused and dumps the headers to the programmes that have been recorded so the BT Vision box you are using also deletes the programmes from the HDD it is this header programme they are working on so ppl can use multi box's in rooms through out the home till they have fixed a work round there is no way to use two box's connected at the same time with out losing information from them i.e recorded programmes plus at some point one or both of the box's will brake. As I am no BT tech I am only going by what this person told me and he seemed quite switched on even helped me set up my BT hub so I have my printer connected through it and can use it as a wireless printer from any pc in the home I hope what I have said here helps in some way. ;)