Options

Friday Night Dinner - Series 3. C4 Fridays 10pm

Comments

• Options
    catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    Im in the minority who loved both weeks! Laughed so much at sleepwalking jim. .

Thank goodnesss we are all different! It may be a generational thing - I am probably older than the Harry Landis character and to me he gives very bad name to old people. I am old enough to be Jim's mum and I am very indulgent towards him. The two boys however, Pusface and Pissface, get on my t**s and need taking into a corner and sorting out. Not that I take any of it seriously of course;-)
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark Heap is just too funny in this. His character is so brilliant.
  • Options
    Stuart25Stuart25 Posts: 12,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jim is my least favourite character. He is just so cringy and OTT. I actually prefer Mr Morris to him.
  • Options
    mitchey316mitchey316 Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart25 wrote: »
    Jim is my least favourite character. He is just so cringy and OTT. I actually prefer Mr Morris to him.

Agreed I never seem to laugh at jim.
  • Options
    Tom_MullenTom_Mullen Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved this weeks episode, best of the series so far. I thought the piano guy was great and jim's scenes were really good too.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Tom_Mullen wrote: »
    I loved this weeks episode, best of the series so far. I thought the piano guy was great and jim's scenes were really good too.

I found this weeks episode was the only one so far that i didnt laugh out loud to at any point.

Dont get me wrong i found it amusing, but usually theres at least one or two scenes that im really laughing at, and getting odd looks at from my oh or dog :D but this one i didnt even chuckle at.

I did find the shopping bit the funniest with the bleach, ketchup and toilet rolls everywhere, but the rest wasnt its usual standard.

There are some episodes which i watch over and over and still laugh at. Although i found this one ok it wouldnt be my first choice of episodes to watch again.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to say I'm not liking this series as much as the previous two because the elements of farce just seem a little bit too contrived this time round.

It's all become a bit too manic and frenzied and last night's episode - when you had the sarcastic blind piano tuner AND Jim going into the bath AND Martin's crispy duck fixation AND Val's mystery man AND her husband confronting her and trying to find the man involved - illustrated this to its fullest.
  • Options
    tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    Only Jewish people find this funny, another Seinfeld imo
  • Options
    nvellanvella Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tony-w wrote: »

No - not Jewish - find it very funny
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,839
    Forum Member
    Last nights show was one of the best of the series.a jim was just right with his hot thighs.
    'Can I use your bathroom' so he had a bath.

Loved it.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    So only Jewish people enjoyed Seinfeld and Friday Night Dinner?

Do only Jewish people enjoy Mel Brooks and Woody Allen films?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jason C wrote: »
    Have to say I'm not liking this series as much as the previous two because the elements of farce just seem a little bit too contrived this time round.

It's all become a bit too manic and frenzied and last night's episode - when you had the sarcastic blind piano tuner AND Jim going into the bath AND Martin's crispy duck fixation AND Val's mystery man AND her husband confronting her and trying to find the man involved - illustrated this to its fullest.

I agree. It was just a bit OTT. It was verging on ruining the epiosde.

I'm all for dry, sarcastic humour but the piano tuner was too much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Last nights show was one of the best of the series.a jim was just right with his hot thighs.

'Can I use your bathroom' so he had a bath.

Loved it.

I'm not usually a fan of Jim but I did like it when he was sat on the couch and the conversation about the fire.
  • Options
    batesy2000batesy2000 Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved series 1, 2 was OK, 3 just seems to be a bit ridiculous. Some of the situations are just farcical and not in a good way. This series would put me off buying the box set.
  • Options
    Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's one of the stupidest things I've ever read. And I once read a Dan Brown novel.
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought last night's was brilliant tbh lol.

Though that may b because I had an interview with a senior Job Centre advisor that reminded me sooo much of Mark Heap (Jim) that I had to fight the whole time not to say, "Wilson" :D
  • Options
    Jesus_Jones1Jesus_Jones1 Posts: 59
    Forum Member

What a stupid thing to say!!:p
  • Options
    DesmondpDesmondp Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    Really enjoying this series.

I do agree the comedy has gone from very subtle to quite in your face farce
  • Options
    Last RequestLast Request Posts: 2,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its watchable but not funny.
  • Options
    tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    What a stupid thing to say!!:p

It was, and what is even more stupid is my omission of a :p at the end.
    I had been drinking yesterday afternoon and it was meant to be a joke!
    (Friday night dinner) is primarily a Jewish thing (Shabbat) hence my comment
    Apologies to anyone who was offended, It was not my intention.
  • Options
    blancoelectra97blancoelectra97 Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I agree. It was just a bit OTT. It was verging on ruining the epiosde.

I'm all for dry, sarcastic humour but the piano tuner was too much.

Sort of agree with you,piano tuner was impersonating Jim almost?

If you watch it again,it is clever but maybe the direction should be better? I mean facial stuff..
    Bu vhat do I know?!!
  • Options
    DesmondpDesmondp Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    Yeah that's 2 episodes out of 5 where the comedy was based around an extremely unlikeable external character
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I haven't had the end of my tail snipped off......and find it extremely funny! :D

The piano tuner coming back to wreck all his evenings work smashing it up did seem a stretch too far however.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Desmondp wrote: »
    Yeah that's 2 episodes out of 5 where the comedy was based around an extremely unlikeable external character

Make that 3. The little girl was annoying as well.

Still, Jim was good in this episode - he's perfect when used in small doses because he's just too bizarre for anything other than the odd random bit of silliness. He has a bath made out of elm???!!!

The episode could have done without the Val having an affair bit - didn't really add anything and the piano tuner's sarcasm was a bit overdone.

I'm still enjoying the series despite all that.
  • Options
    Seymour ButtsSeymour Butts Posts: 3,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer the episodes that centre more on just the family. I think the one I laughed at most this series was the one wih the fox