Has BBC1 turned into a sports channel?

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    BBC1 is also a more expensive channel to show programmes on. So anything that can fill up their schedule with cheap yet "worthy" stuff is an economically sensible thing to do.
    How is it a more expensive channel?
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    I think the answer would be for them to actually have a branded BBC Sport service, a channel which many other country broadcasters have, such as RAI Sport. There could be some coverage still on BBC ONE, but not a complete takeover of the channel as it is now.

I don't understand the comment about if you don't have Sky or Freeview, surely Freeview is the default way of watchign TV now, everyone has at least Freeview Lite, satellite, cable, or the internet to get live streams of BBC channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the answer would be for them to actually have a branded BBC Sport service, a channel which many other country broadcasters have, such as RAI Sport. There could be some coverage still on BBC ONE, but not a complete takeover of the channel as it is now..

So, what would this channel show the other times of the week/month/year when there are no sports rights (that the BBC has or can afford)? Even repeats of old events are likely to be hampered by rights. It's only at certain times during the 24-hr day that sporting events take place, most are during the latter part of the week and at weekends, and even then most tend to take place during the afternoons and evenings. This leaves a significant space that is still being paid for but will lie unused.

And where is the money going to come from to fill the voids left on BBC one and BBC Two now that sports have gone?

And where is the money going to come from to finance these extra two channels (SD and HD), and for that matter, where is the space going to come from on DTT?

And on the subject of money, it would have to pass the BBC Trust's stringent Public Value Test (to ensure that it was a good use of LF money), and it would also have to pass Ofcom's Market Impact Assessment which would assess the extent of any likely impact on markets relevant to the proposed change.
  • Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Short of blasting through 9 pages, are people still missing Eastenders because they haven't worked out the 2 button is next to the 1 button on their remote control ?
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikebuk wrote: »
    Short of blasting through 9 pages, are people still missing Eastenders because they haven't worked out the 2 button is next to the 1 button on their remote control ?

Not sure I did see a post on Soap thread saying remember Eastenders on BBC2' a poster replied thought it wasn't going to be on.

Shows the countiunity announcer saying at the end of a Programme a program will be moving is not heard
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    It;s summer. It happens every year. More so when there is a "big" event on.

However. With the Commonwealth Games taking up a little over 50% of ONE channel there are still plenty of other things that are diverse - even if you restrict yourself to the BBC.

I particularly dislike Big Brother, but I then don't go on a forum telling everyone that there is nothing to watch as CH4 are showing a programme I don't like. I turn over.

But I haven't told anyone that there is nothing to watch. I actually said that I've enjoyed watching a lot of the sport.

My point was that I can understand the point of view of people who aren't into sport. It's not just about what I like.
    The BBC's remit is to cater to a diverse audience. Having wall to wall sport I don't believe fulfills that remit.

Perhaps the BBC should have a sports channel, just like Sky has?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Catering for a diverse audience is not going to be measured over a relatively short period of time across one channel. It's measured across all BBC channels over a reasonable timespan. When the Games end, and going into September/October & beyond, there will be little in the way of sporting competitions. This is where thing s average out.

As for a sports channel, I'll repeat what I have posted above in reply to another poster:

So, what would this channel show the other times of the week/month/year when there are no sports rights (that the BBC has or can afford)? Even repeats of old events are likely to be hampered by rights. It's only at certain times during the 24-hr day that sporting events take place, most are during the latter part of the week and at weekends, and even then most tend to take place during the afternoons and evenings. This leaves a significant space that is still being paid for but will lie unused.

And where is the money going to come from to fill the voids left on BBC one and BBC Two now that sports have gone?

And where is the money going to come from to finance these extra two channels (SD and HD), and for that matter, where is the space going to come from on DTT?

And on the subject of money, it would have to pass the BBC Trust's stringent Public Value Test (to ensure that it was a good use of LF money), and it would also have to pass Ofcom's Market Impact Assessment which would assess the extent of any likely impact on markets relevant to the proposed change.
  • Options
    terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    I hadn't realised that BBC1 had turned into a sports channel. Well you'd be forgiven for thinking so.

The sheer wall to wall constant stream of sport on BBC. I'm absolutely sick of it. Every time I turn on to BBC1 it's either Football, Tennis, Cycling, Golf, Rugby, Athletics, Motor Racing and now they're ramming the Commonwealth Games down our throats. I'm not interested in any of this stuff and while people might say, "turn over then", may I remind everyone that I'm forced to pay for all this crap.

It's not just the fact that they show sport but the amount of the day that's taken up with it plus all the sport review shows. The world cup got interspersed with Wimboldon followed by athletics and cycling and no sooner has that finished then the golf starts. 7 hours of golf last Sunday and now today the entire day from 9am til midnight is taken up with the games which I couldn't care less about. And as if that wasn't enough there's another 3 hours of it on BBC2 plus late night reviews and highlights. It's absolutely ridiculous how much of this channel is taken up by sports programmes! This is an entertainment channel not a sports channel.

Is this what pay my license fee for? When it's not hours and hours of sport it's repeats of comedy panel shows. I've lost count of the amount of times they've repeated the last series of QI, Room 101, Live at the Apollo, Sarah Millican programme etc. They must be at least on their 5th rerun by now.

It really is time they got themselves a dedicated sports channel and sorted out the constant stream of repeats that seem to be getting more and more frequent. Even Cbeebies is just one constant stream of repeats. They not only repeat the same kids shows about 3 times a day but they show the same programmes 2 or 3 days a week.

It just seems like incredibly lazy broadcasting. If anything makes for a good excuse to scrap the license fee it's this. I can't believe I'm forced to pay for all this rubbish half of which I've already paid for the first time it was broadcast.

Surprised you even have the time to watch TV considering the amount of threads you start concerning your exciting life.
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    I agree
    Better still make the BBC paid for by subscription

It sort of is. The licence fee.

Yes, I know it is compulsory. That's the nature of PBS - everyone subsidises it and everyone gets somethin out of it,

Especially some of the minority programmes commercial channels wouldn't touch with a barge pole
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    I can take it or leave it. I'm not a big sports fan but understand why a lot of people enjoy watching it. having said that, if you don't have Sky or Freeview, then you are pretty much stuck with having to put up with it, and that to me seems pretty unfair. Why not just keep the sport to one channel, say BBC 2 and leave BBC 1 free for non sporting programmes ?
    I don't quite understand what you mean when you say people without Sky or freeview? Freesat and Virgin media has more choice than freeview so you can only mean freeview lite? Which will still give you some choice. Analogue and only having access to 4 or 5 channels has long gone.
  • Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure I did see a post on Soap thread saying remember Eastenders on BBC2' a poster replied thought it wasn't going to be on.

Shows the countiunity announcer saying at the end of a Programme a program will be moving is not heard

It seemed to be the the idea of sport replacing their beloved shows that are on away but can't cope with them being on other channels.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    How is it a more expensive channel?

Same number of broadcast hours as BBC2, but three times the budget. Therefore in beancounter terms, it's a more expensive channel, per hour of broadcasting. Even if not in pounds per viewer per hour.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally Posted by The Wizard
    I agree. With 2 dedicated 24hr news channels on
    terrestrial
    I don't know why we have to have it
    all repeated on BBC1. If people want news they
    know what channel to turn to.
    1. BBC News Channel
    2 ?????

:confused:

(And no, Parliament is NOT a news channel.)

Yes, there are two 24 hour dedicated news channels on freeview. BBC News 24 (CH80) and Sky News (CH82).
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,713
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Yes, there are two 24 hour dedicated news channels on freeview. BBC News 24 (CH80) and Sky News (CH82).
    <annoyed grunt> :blush:

Sorry. Of course there are. I was only thinking of it in terms of the BBC. I forgot about SN as I never watch it.