Options

Right, so what's happening in the Children in Need special?

Comments

• Options
    weedledeedleweedledeedle Posts: 8,669
    Forum Member
    Looks like to most uninteresting Xmas special ever!!!

but, honestly, how could you tell? it was only a nanosecond of a clip really!

........I will wait, then watch, then consider an opinion ;):)
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dizx wrote: »
    Awww, Matt and Karen seem really lovely :)

they were very good with the kids, especially Matt. :)
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    They do seem quite nice dont they? MS is very scatty though, seems like he doesnt need to act much to be 11 ;)
  • Options
    2FS2FS Posts: 8,679
    Forum Member
    For a sec, I thought Karen was going to projectile hurl that Jammy Dodger :D

Loved the trailer, can't wait! :)
  • Options
    BizzaBizza Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like to most uninteresting Xmas special ever!!!

What would you prefer? I giant cyberman stomping around Victorian London?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a fantastic, dramatic trailer. How anyone can watch that and say it looks boring or uninteresting is just beyond me, but I should have learned to expect it on this forum - some people are never happy!

As for revisiting Amy in her stripper outfit and Rory as a Roman, it might just be a daft inclination but, perhaps it has something to do with the story :eek: Moffat is obviously revisiting the characters' past for some reason or another and I have full trust in him for it to be very good!
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you blink and miss it? Look no further.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAU8lJbZ_4g
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the bit with The Doctor coming down the chimney is inspired, though maybe it should have been kept as a surprise in the episode, fab idea though!:D
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Bizza wrote: »
    What would you prefer? I giant cyberman stomping around Victorian London?

Aw DONT!!! I loved the next Doctor :D a thoroughly good romp for xmas day, for everyone to flop in front of the telly and watch, DW fan or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Aw DONT!!! I loved the next Doctor :D a thoroughly good romp for xmas day, for everyone to flop in front of the telly and watch, DW fan or not.

must say that episode has grown on me, though mainly due to Jackson Lake, who is one of the best one-off characters since the show returned, imho, could have done with the whole episode just being about him and what the cybermen had done to his family rather than all that cyber king stuff, but yeah, on balance i like it. It's Voyage of the Damned I don't care for, it's quite dull for the most part, imho.
  • Options
    BarracuteBarracute Posts: 243,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Did you blink and miss it? Look no further.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAU8lJbZ_4g

Thanks for this i missed it (it said it was on at 8.30 in my tv guide lol) loved it - looks very swish and expensive and glam and dramatic - and even has its own nifty tagline

(Christmas)Time can be re-written....

everything a big budget movie trailer should have - can't wait to see some more. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barracute wrote: »
    Thanks for this i missed it (it said 8.30 in my tv guide lol) loved it - looks very swish and expensive and glam and dramatic - everything a big budget movie trailer should - can't wait to see some more. :)

someone said in the Doctor Who fan thread it looked like a movie trailer, and I have to agree, it really does!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    I don't think Matt or Karen actually have to act. they both seem completely barmy in real life. Excellent though and I hope the boys had a great day.

As for the trailer... I will just wait and see. But it looks good
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    No I mean I wish he would not go over the same stories over and over again, going back to eleventh hour for instance, with Amy in her strippers outfit Why?????? Please dont keep doing this to us ;)

Its all done and dusted so why keep going back to it? and Rory in his Roman outfit, enough!

With all due respect you have NO idea why Amy and Rory are in those outfits (and technically we've not seen Rory in the Roman outfit... AUTON Rory yes, actual Rory no) and I don't see how you can reasonably state that Moffat keeps going over the same stories time after time. At no point in Series 5 other than the, what, 30 seconds of Flesh and Stone and the opening scene with Amielia did we actively revisit a past scene. More to the point, how can anyone still have such doubts over Moffat's writing? No matter what your personal opinion or enjoyment of those stories look at his work from a purely analytical standpoint and he's brought fresh, new twists to every single story he's done for the show and (slightly less objectively) consistently delivered scripts that get talked of as classic episodes, a little faith at this point that he knows what he's doing might not be a bad idea, no?

Aaaaanyway, the trailer's got me more excited about an Xmas special than I have been since the Christmas Invasion (and then only for the new Doctor). There's clearly something interesting going on (ghost of Christmas past, Amy and Rory in old outfits (although I'd love if that's a honeymoon, uh, game that got interrupted by a crisis :D ) and the Dickens thing suggesting present and future may play a part), very atmospheric / creepy look and feel (was that a FIN in the frozen, misty vault thingy!?!), great guest actor (and Michael Gambon isn't bad either) and generally looks, well, interesting. To borrow a phrase from Phil Collinson (via Radio Free Skaro and my brain's not working so sorry if I got the producer wrong), Hoo-ray.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    must say that episode has grown on me, though mainly due to Jackson Lake, who is one of the best one-off characters since the show returned, imho, could have done with the whole episode just being about him and what the cybermen had done to his family rather than all that cyber king stuff, but yeah, on balance i like it. It's Voyage of the Damned I don't care for, it's quite dull for the most part, imho.

Cyber-King? Cyber-king you say? Uh.... nope, sorry, don't remember that, now if you'll excuse me I have to go feed this odd crack in my wall. No idea what it is, only identifying mark is a note sorta dangling from one jaggy bit marked 'RTD bad idea destroyer'...

Voyage of the Damned was a very nice idea done in by the need to make it on a TV budget in my opinion. Disaster movies kinda need to be... well, disastrous and they didn't have the budget to put in enough scenes of it all going wrong to make it seem that way. Plus, well, if the ship was diving towards an alien world you'd wonder if it would all work out, diving towards London on Christmas Day.... yeah, not so much.
  • Options
    Adam KelleherAdam Kelleher Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With all due respect you have NO idea why Amy and Rory are in those outfits (and technically we've not seen Rory in the Roman outfit... AUTON Rory yes, actual Rory no) and I don't see how you can reasonably state that Moffat keeps going over the same stories time after time. At no point in Series 5 other than the, what, 30 seconds of Flesh and Stone and the opening scene with Amielia did we actively revisit a past scene. More to the point, how can anyone still have such doubts over Moffat's writing? No matter what your personal opinion or enjoyment of those stories look at his work from a purely analytical standpoint and he's brought fresh, new twists to every single story he's done for the show and (slightly less objectively) consistently delivered scripts that get talked of as classic episodes, a little faith at this point that he knows what he's doing might not be a bad idea, no?
    Aaaaanyway, the trailer's got me more excited about an Xmas special than I have been since the Christmas Invasion (and then only for the new Doctor). There's clearly something interesting going on (ghost of Christmas past, Amy and Rory in old outfits (although I'd love if that's a honeymoon, uh, game that got interrupted by a crisis :D ) and the Dickens thing suggesting present and future may play a part), very atmospheric / creepy look and feel (was that a FIN in the frozen, misty vault thingy!?!), great guest actor (and Michael Gambon isn't bad either) and generally looks, well, interesting. To borrow a phrase from Phil Collinson (via Radio Free Skaro and my brain's not working so sorry if I got the producer wrong), Hoo-ray.

No, I for one do not have faith. I accept that many people enjoyed Series 5 but for others on here it was a crushing disappointment, especially after Moffat's Series 1, 2 and 3 stories. You cannot generalise that everyone thought that the ideas in The Big Bang were any good - they may have been "fresh" but many people thought them incomprehensible and nonsensical.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomsy wrote: »
    I don't think Matt or Karen actually have to act. they both seem completely barmy in real life. Excellent though and I hope the boys had a great day.

As for the trailer... I will just wait and see. But it looks good

Just to throw this in... watch this clip around 1:25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZcFnvw5HHA

Isn't it lovely when actors get involved like that :D They managed to sneak in dancing in the TARDIS in Series 5 as well (Vincent and the Doctor) which apparently came from them. Come on Moffat, please give us another full year or two with Matt, Karen and Arthur....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. I accept that many people enjoyed Series 5 but for others on here it was a crushing disappointment, especially after Moffat's Series 1, 2 and 3 stories. You cannot generalise that everyone thought that the ideas in The Big Bang were any good - they may have been "fresh" but many people thought them incomprehensible and nonsensical.

*sigh*

Yes, I realise that personal views come into this and notice I didn't say that everyone thought the ideas were good. What I'm saying is that if you look at Moffat's stories objectively and break down the script (treat it as an academic exercise if you will) then it does all make sense and didn't... I'm wasting my breath here aren't I? Okay, sorry folks, backing out of conversation now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You cannot generalise that everyone thought that the ideas in The Big Bang were any good - they may have been "fresh" but many people thought them incomprehensible and nonsensical.

i think to say "many" is rather over stating the case, adam, to be fair. Certainly the vast majority enjoyed it a good deal, as per the episode poll indicates. Vocal minority would be fairer. And the thing is, that is always going to be the case ,from series 1 to series 5, there have always been a vocal minority that don't like the direction an episode/series takes.
  • Options
    JohnFlawbodJohnFlawbod Posts: 4,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. I accept that many people enjoyed Series 5 but for others on here it was a crushing disappointment, especially after Moffat's Series 1, 2 and 3 stories. You cannot generalise that everyone thought that the ideas in The Big Bang were any good - they may have been "fresh" but many people thought them incomprehensible and nonsensical.

Indeed, "many people" (or at least a half dozen on this Forum) have found them "icomprehensible and nonsensical" but the "crushing disappointment" you speak of? No, I'm sorry, I personally cannot accept that - perhaps if you stopped shrouding yourself in the cloak of others and just had the balls to say these things under your own banner then I might pay you some heed but honestly, AK, just because you didn't like Series 5, why not just say so without wittering on about these "others" who apparently agree with you?
  • Options
    VideoTapirVideoTapir Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it looked terrific. Another reason to look forward to Christmas (well, probably the main one)!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *sigh*

Yes, I realise that personal views come into this and notice I didn't say that everyone thought the ideas were good. What I'm saying is that if you look at Moffat's stories objectively and break down the script (treat it as an academic exercise if you will) then it does all make sense and didn't... I'm wasting my breath here aren't I? Okay, sorry folks, backing out of conversation now.

What's the "sigh" in aid of? Why are you backing out just because not everyone agrees with your views? Not really worth you being on a discussion forum is it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, "many people" (or at least a half dozen on this Forum) have found them "icomprehensible and nonsensical" but the "crushing disappointment" you speak of? No, I'm sorry, I personally cannot accept that - perhaps if you stopped shrouding yourself in the cloak of others and just had the balls to say these things under your own banner then I might pay you some heed but honestly, AK, just because you didn't like Series 5, why not just say so without wittering on about these "others" who apparently agree with you?

hi John, I didn't like series 2. There I said loud and proud! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What on earth are you on about?!! There have been plenty of posters on here who were disappointed with Series 5. Whether or not you pay me any heed is irrelevant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    hi John, I didn't like series 2. There I said loud and proud! :D

My favourite New Who series! That's why we disagree on things. :);)