David Tennant & Billie Piper confirmed for the 50th Anniversary episode.

Comments

• JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    Clara is confirmed. :) River is all but confirmed, especially as she's an absolute gift for a multi-Doctor episode. Think of how useful a character like River is when you've got characters from different eras meeting. She'll be invaluable as a plot device character. Can't see her not showing up.

Is River Song actually confirmed for the Anniversary episode? It could be problematic in terms of continuity.

Ten's first encounter with River Song is in the Library, and it's a Ten who is no longer with Rose.

That would mean that if River Song is in the anniversary episode then:-

(a) The Tenth Doctor and Rose in that Episode would have to be 10.2 (the human Doctor) and Rose from the parallel world, as the Time Lord Doctor from Series 2 (when he was previously with Rose) would not yet have met River Song.

(b) None of the first nine Doctors can be in the episode as they have not yet met River Song either.
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    Is River Song actually confirmed for the Anniversary episode? It could be problematic in terms of continuity.

Ten's first encounter with River Song is in the Library, and it's a Ten who is no longer with Rose.

That would mean that if River Song is in the anniversary episode then:-

(a) The Tenth Doctor and Rose in that Episode would have to be 10.2 (the human Doctor) and Rose from the parallel world, as the Time Lord Doctor from Series 2 (when he was previously with Rose) would not yet have met River Song.

(b) None of the first nine Doctors can be in the episode as they have not yet met River Song either.

Nope, all you'd need is for none of the returning characters to have any memory of the episode - which is generally implied to be the case in every multi-Doctor story.

And on a side note, it appears that River has met Ten before Silence in the Library - she recognises him instantly.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Assuming Ten and Rose arrive together - or are even in the same scenes together. Or share any screen time with River.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    Character wise it would be a very bad idea to put Rose in with Matt Smith's Dr as... who can forget how quickly her affections switched from poor, dead, Chris, to chirpy, alive David? So basically the minute she spots Matt, she'll be all over him like a souped up version of Jacqui. "Ooooh, I loves the Doctor, and you seem to be the latest one, get ovah here." It'll take a River Song plasma cannon blast to get her off.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neutralned wrote: »
    Character wise it would be a very bad idea to put Rose in with Matt Smith's Dr as....

...it would end up like this.

(Note, NSFW or for children)
  • drtwelvedrtwelve Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    Bye bye.

Obviously.

That didn't last long.

Granny, could you please write your reply to my next post to save me the bother of writing it just now?:D
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    And on a side note, it appears that River has met Ten before Silence in the Library - she recognises him instantly.
    Not necessarily 11 has likely shown her pictures/images of his past self.

Though with her I wouldn't be to surprised if she knows a future version of himself.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    It's the Fiftieth Anniversary. Why ignore Classic Who by just bringing back a New Who Doctor and companion?

And if ONLY one old Doctor can return there are quite a few I'd rather see than Ten. Four, Five or Eight, for example.

Because the worst thing they could do would be to overload the story with loads of Doctors just for the sake of it. Also I would imagine that the current producers recognise (in their opinions) that the majority of their audience have never seen a "classic" episode of Who and aren't interested in seeing loads of Doctors who they have never seen before. Now we as hard core fans would enjoy any recognition of the past but todays programme is aimed at a younger audience many of whom think Doctor Who only started in 2005. As has been pointed out previousley in this forum, the produces take no notice, or very little notice, of what a relatively small group of fans actually want. I'm sure that each previous Doctor will get some recognition but not any meaningfull role in the actual story. Personaly if Ihad had a choice, much as I loved D.T. I would have liked to see Doctor 8 make a return.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Sorry Andy but you are just plain wrong. As I have stated many times, kids were very interested to see Peter Davison in Time Crash, drawing pictures of him with Tennant, and writing in to DWA to ask "was he really The Doctor?" prompting the magazine to start a classic series page with info about old Doctors and past adventures.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still holding onto my hope that McGann will also appear. Oh to see his lovely face again.
  • Cyril_SneerCyril_Sneer Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry Andy but you are just plain wrong. As I have stated many times, kids were very interested to see Peter Davison in Time Crash, drawing pictures of him with Tennant, and writing in to DWA to ask "was he really The Doctor?" prompting the magazine to start a classic series page with info about old Doctors and past adventures.

I can understand what you say, but i think there is a difference between some kids, probably who might have dads etc introducing them to the classic series, and them needing to cater for the mass younger audience. I think if they had old doctors popping up everywhere it would be very confusing for some - whatever they do, needs to be introduced into the story in a very easy to understand way.

Even the David Tennant finale episode seemed a bit "busy" with characters and that was just New Who.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Because the worst thing they could do would be to overload the story with loads of Doctors just for the sake of it.

It's a shame its just going to be one episode, as there is only so much you can fit into 60 minutes. If only the budget would have stretched to 11 anniversary specials, each one featuring a previous Doctor.
    Also I would imagine that the current producers recognise (in their opinions) that the majority of their audience have never seen a "classic" episode of Who and aren't interested in seeing loads of Doctors who they have never seen before.

It might be bit overwhelming if they had to introduce too many returning doctors or companions in such a short space of time for the benefit of post 2005 viewers. Also there are only so many times the current Doctor can say 'this is me when I was younger' before it gets tedious.
    Now we as hard core fans would enjoy any recognition of the past but todays programme is aimed at a younger audience many of whom think Doctor Who only started in 2005.

I would love for the classic Doctors and companions to be a part of the new show, but it would need to be done over several episodes, and not rushed into one 60 minute special.
    As has been pointed out previousley in this forum, the produces take no notice, or very little notice, of what a relatively small group of fans actually want. I'm sure that each previous Doctor will get some recognition but not any meaningfull role in the actual story.

Lets hope for some more audio stories and maybe even animated specials featuring the original actors doing voice overs.
    if Ihad had a choice, much as I loved D.T. I would have liked to see Doctor 8 make a return.

Much as I loved the 8th Doctor, he only appeared in a single TV episode 17 years ago, and as such is pretty much the least well known Doctor to the current audience. I would say he is the least worthwhile classic Doctor to bring back, whereas Tom, Peter or even Sylvester all benefit from being already quite well known.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member

Which is fine for one character in a 15-minute episode with nothing else going on apart from those two characters talking.
    Try being a father explaining who those four other Doctors are, along with any other companions here for the ride, while things are crashing and exploding all over the place. No magazine articles will help with that.

I have no doubt that kids will be curious, and that's great, but it's a little hard to take in while the episode's actually on-air.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope, all you'd need is for none of the returning characters to have any memory of the episode - which is generally implied to be the case in every multi-Doctor story.

According to Moffat, Ten did have some adventures with River between Series 4 and the Specials.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really could just smack myself in the head as hard as I could for people saying silly answers saying the audience wont know the classic doctors.

Of course they will. The classic doctors have been shown in the series during the Smith era and they had plenty of clips in the confidential show. Plus you have youtube, parents getting their kids the classic dvds and stuff like that.

Whats laughable is people thinking Tennant back is a april fools joke when it was announced 2 days before April 1st!
  • BonesMcCoyBonesMcCoy Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    Glad Tennant's coming back but as much as I loved Rose, I don't think she can bring anything to it anymore. There's also the worry she might come back with the "Not" doctor rather than ten. (Another of RTD's extremely poor sappy writing in the reboot's last few series under RTD.)

Even I have moved on, I don't honestly believe there is a place for her no more.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    BonesMcCoy wrote: »
    Glad Tennant's coming back but as much as I loved Rose, I don't think she can bring anything to it anymore. There's also the worry she might come back with the "Not" doctor rather than ten. (Another of RTD's extremely poor sappy writing in the reboot's last few series under RTD.)

Even I have moved on, I don't honestly believe there is a place for her no more.
    i thought it was fairly obvious it is going to be 10.5 that is coming back.

11 will lose his Tardis, 10.5 should have one by now.
    Forum Member
    I really could just smack myself in the head as hard as I could for people saying silly answers saying the audience wont know the classic doctors.
    But do you want the viewers who don't know the earlier Doctors to be alienated and excluded? Blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameos and lines are one thing and don't affect a story too much, but significant plot points have to be introduced carefully. It could be done if the Doctor was the one intruding on his past lives, as he can explain things to his companion/the viewers in advance.
    Forum Member
    10.5? Obvious? Not bloomin' likely. Bringing 10 and parallel Rose back would involve referencing 5 year old plots that not everyone will remember, plus people want to see THE Doctor, not the knockoff one from Journey's End. They want to see 10 and Rose from what they perceive as the golden era of the show, "the good old days" i.e series 2 when Rose-mania was at its highest.

The easiest way to bring the 2 back together is to have them taken out of their timeline or to have this be an adventure we didn't see before, not breaking down the barriers between worlds AGAIN when it has been stated several times that breaking them down would result in the destruction of the universe.
    Forum Member
    Viewers wont be alienated. Introduce McCoy, have the Doctor say "oh, that's me when I was younger. I could play the spoons back then. Playing the spoons is cool."
  • FluxCapacitorFluxCapacitor Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Viewers wont be alienated. Introduce McCoy, have the Doctor say "oh, that's me when I was younger. I could play the spoons back then. Playing the spoons is cool."

That's fine if you have one Doctor returning, but it would get VERY tiresome if he had to do that 10 times...!

"Oh, that's another me when I was younger. I used to love jelly babies. Jelly babies are cool. Oh look, another version of me when I was younger..." :D
  • Cyril_SneerCyril_Sneer Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Of course they will. The classic doctors have been shown in the series during the Smith era and they had plenty of clips in the confidential show. Plus you have youtube, parents getting their kids the classic dvds and stuff like that.

Few second fanboy things in the actual show though. The producers will go by the exposure in the actual show so far.

Personally i didnt think Time Crash came off well, and they even kept that to CIN. It was clearly geared away from the actual series.

I think it'll be david and matt - ultra surprise cameo from chris. holograms of the others, or something along those lines.
    Forum Member
    10.5? Obvious? Not bloomin' likely. Bringing 10 and parallel Rose back would involve referencing 5 year old plots that not everyone will remember, plus people want to see THE Doctor, not the knockoff one from Journey's End. They want to see 10 and Rose from what they perceive as the golden era of the show, "the good old days" i.e series 2 when Rose-mania was at its highest.
    Rose-mania? Was that ever a thing? I don't remember that being a thing. Or series 2 being a golden era, for that matter. But perhaps that's debate that's been done to death.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,623
    Forum Member
    I doubt david or billie would be happy to play against the second version of the doctor that russell t davies left rose with. Never expected billie to return at all
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    I doubt david or billie would be happy to play against the second version of the doctor that russell t davies left rose with. Never expected billie to return at all

I wonder if Matt had any input into Billie's return, after all they are good friends in real life and have worked together before. I can't wait to see them on screen together, their chemistry is amazing.