Pub sign causes outrage

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    AnnieBaker wrote: »
    It's a bit rude though. Imagine if you arrived with well-behaved children in tow. It seems the sign is accusing all children of being annoying little gits who are going to cause chaos in the establishment before they are even shown to their table.

It's not really. It's tongue-in-cheek.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    It's also passive aggressive bullying by children obsessed people.

Why should they be able to force their views on everyone and censor what anyone else wants to say? Especially when it's so blindingly obvious that it's said in humour.

Some people hate other people's kids running around and annoying everyone else as the child obsessed parents think that everyone should be ga-ga about children like they are. Why should they be able to force their view and the other view seen as inappropriate?
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It just comes across as being plain nasty.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a bit rude though. Imagine if you arrived with well-behaved children in tow.

As a father of three, I'm imagining it. I can honestly say I would probably have a momentary smile at it, then have my meal with my family and never think about the sign again.
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the Metro's poll, only 7% of people came close to OUTRAGE while 93% said it was just a bit of fun. Sounds about right.
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It just comes across as being plain nasty.

Yeah, it does. I'm one of the bah humbug people who hates kids running around restaurants when I'm eating (I don't go in pubs) and I still don't think that sign is remotely funny.
  • jazzyjackjazzyjack Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not offensive, but it's not funny either.

If I was a new customer and saw that I would assume it was their way of saying, 'Children are not welcome' and go elsewhere. That's what will lose them business, if anything.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's trying to be funny and make a point about controlling your kids when in a pub. (Here we go then...) Kids shouldn't be in pubs anyway, they should be at home or sat outside in the car with a bottle of (insert **healthy, non-sugary, non-fizzy** drink here).
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it is the pubs cunning way of discouraging the kind of sad individuals who would be 'offended' by such a sign. The pub clientele will comprise much more sound, balanced punters as a result.
  • EastEast Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What would our opinion be if this was seen in a holiday British bar abroad. MORE relaxed and would it just be laughed at as in humour?
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    cultureman wrote: »
    I think it is the pubs cunning way of discouraging the kind of sad individuals who would be 'offended' by such a sign. The pub clientele will comprise much more sound, balanced punters as a result.

Here, here.
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    It's a bit rude though. Imagine if you arrived with well-behaved children in tow. It seems the sign is accusing all children of being annoying little gits who are going to cause chaos in the establishment before they are even shown to their table.

I disagree. It's more of a case of "if the cap fits".
  • biggle2000biggle2000 Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wouldn't worry about it unless they DO actually nail a little darling to a table.
  • biggle2000biggle2000 Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »
    I disagree. It's more of a case of "if the cap fits".

Indeed. My work colleague found it to be funny. She has two of the most well behaved children I have ever seen. They are a real pleasure to have around.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did the Metro article indicate where the OUTRAGE was, or was the OUTRAGE limited only to a few overreactions on Twitter/Facebook?
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Firstly most sensible people would realise it is humour and secondly those with well behaved children would realise it wasn't aimed at them

These days everyone loves to be professionally outraged at something, and if there is nothing to be outraged about they will probably become outraged at not being outraged. It's sad that this country once known for it's stiff upper lip and sense of humour is falling into this hysterical claptrap of being offended at everything for the sake of it.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    My favourite sign was "UNATTENDED CHILDREN WILL BE GIVEN ESPRESSO AND A FREE PUPPY".
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    Meh. Storm in a teacup. If indeed there is any storm at all.

or an actual teacup.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must be a sick bunny because it did make me chuckle, but I can see why some don't find it funny. Bad idea on the pub's part, too.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite sign was "UNATTENDED CHILDREN WILL BE GIVEN ESPRESSO AND A FREE PUPPY".

or the other one "unattend children will be given a doube espresso and wild promises of what santa will bring"
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Firstly most sensible people would realise it is humour and secondly those with well behaved children would realise it wasn't aimed at them

These days everyone loves to be professionally outraged at something, and if there is nothing to be outraged about they will probably become outraged at not being outraged. It's sad that this country once known for it's stiff upper lip and sense of humour is falling into this hysterical claptrap of being offended at everything for the sake of it.

That's the problem, some people in this country really do seem to have lost their sense of humor and take everything literally.
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sarcasm isn't funny so it fails
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blimey, you can't say anything these days without someone not getting the joke. Pub near me once put a sign up saying 'If your child is causing a disturbance, they'll be handed over to the local paedophile'. :D Obviously a joke, not a brilliantly funny one, admittedly, but not meant seriously, but some people thought it in bad taste and the landlord was forced to remove it.
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    I'm on the outrage bus.
  • Seth1Seth1 Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny or not, I don't think I'd take my kids to a pub with members of staff like that.