Tetanus

Sun!Sun! Posts: 1,058
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey

Ive just cut myself on a screw on the foot by standing on it.
Washed it out with just water as have no creams.
The nail was a bit rusty but not very.

Do I need to go to the hospital for a tetanus?

Comments

• big_satsumabig_satsuma Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    Not sure. Phone NHS Direct or do the symptoms checker on http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/
    Hope that helps.
  • N20JetCarN20JetCar Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    Depends if you've had one in the last ten years. If you haven't then I would get the jab. Tetanus, or lockjaw means you cant eat or speak and you will die horribly
  • Sun!Sun! Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Havent got a phone so cant call NHS direct.
    Im not to sure when I had a tetanus last. I might have had it within the last 10 years though.
  • big_satsumabig_satsuma Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    N20JetCar wrote: »
    Depends if you've had one in the last ten years. If you haven't then I would get the jab. Tetanus, or lockjaw means you cant eat or speak and you will die horribly

I do love a bit of subtlety! :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is tetanus really that serious, if they pick it up quite early is it easy to treat?
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I should get a jab, then make sure you keep the little record card so you know when it's time to get your next one.

Glad to hear you haven't got any creams - you shouldn't put cream on any wound. Plain water is the best way to clean a wound in the first instance.
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sun! wrote: »
    Is tetanus really that serious, if they pick it up quite early is it easy to treat?

Untreated, it can kill you very painfully. Your call! :)
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some easily googled information for you

Once Tetanus takes hold, you are given supportive care as needed (respirator to breath for you, drip to hydrate you) along with treatment for the bacteria. However, it can still be fatal.due to complications such as septicemia (blood poisoning), kidney failure or heart attack.

Go get a jab:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you have 72 hours from the last work guidelines i read to obtain a tetanus vaccine. gp's can check old records and see if it was within the last 10 years and the nurse can give it, so not such a rush. if that is the only problem with the wound, i'd call the gp in the morning for an "urgent/emergency appointment" only as i know how scarce gp appointments are!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went to hospital and the Dr said I didnt need a tetanus as the wound wasnt bad enough.
    He did however wipe it out. I felt like a bit of a wally going really but it was better to be safe than sorry.
    Going to check with my GP tommorow when I was last had the jab and if its needed i'll get a new one done.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, Wales A&E is better than England, you were back in 2 hours, impressed!

Giving a wound a wipe doesn't give an indication of tetanus risk, silly doctor. It's not about depth at all, its about how a person got it and a rusty nail is still on the list!

Good on you for checking with your GP, its worth keeping up to date. I'd advise it if its not been under 10 years.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    Havent got a phone so cant call NHS direct.
    Im not to sure when I had a tetanus last. I might have had it within the last 10 years though.

The good news is that they have an online inquiry service here http://www.nhsdirect.wales.nhs.uk/onlineenquiry/ and you can send in your request for advice via the internet about this matter.
  • Serenity79Serenity79 Posts: 1,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Magenta01 wrote: »
    It's not about depth at all, its about how a person got it and a rusty nail is still on the list!

Indeed :confused: A friend of my Aunt sadly died of Tetanus, and she got it by being pricked by a thorn in her garden. Hardly what you'd call a 'deep wound'.

ETA: I got a jab a couple of years ago after slicing my fingers open on a tin can, not a deep wound either but they obviously thought better safe than sorry
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went to hospital and the Dr said I didnt need a tetanus as the wound wasnt bad enough.
    He did however wipe it out. I felt like a bit of a wally going really but it was better to be safe than sorry.
    Going to check with my GP tommorow when I was last had the jab and if its needed i'll get a new one done.

Sorry to say, but either the Doctor you saw is an arse or you are a troll. These days I wouldn't want to put money on which.

You can get tetanus from a scratch - not that long ago a lady died from a scratch after tending a rose bush as the tetanus bacterium was present in either the soil or manure used to feed the roses. And I'm pretty sure a man died sometime this year from tetanus from a very minor dog bite - no more than a little puncture would.

A wipe won't do - full flushing of the wound would help (and may prevent other infections) but not as good as a tetanus jab. Magenta01 has given you the timeline (72 hrs) (I thought it was 24 hours but that might be rabies) but you should also look out for other infections. If the wound becomes inflamed or hot to touch, seek medical attention immediately. If you get red lines radiating from the would, write your will then seek medical attention.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dads uncle died from tetanus infection, I think he was in his greenhouse had some small trays of compost and cut himself on one of them. It was only a small cut :(
  • +Quattro++Quattro+ Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to agree with all who have said that you need a tetanus jab now. It's not something to take risks with and I'm really shocked that the hospital didn't give you a jab as a matter of routine!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can assure you im not a troll, I live right by the hospital and when I got there it was very quiet and only had to wait less than 30 minutes to be seen.

I went in and the doctor didnt even mention a tetanus jab but just wiped it with an antiseptic wipe and got a plaster to put on it. I then asked about a tetanus jab and he said I didnt need one. What more can I say?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can assure you im not a troll, I live right by the hospital and when I got there it was very quiet and only had to wait less than 30 minutes to be seen.

I went in and the doctor didnt even mention a tetanus jab but just wiped it with an antiseptic wipe and got a plaster to put on it. I then asked about a tetanus jab and he said I didnt need one. What more can I say?

Which is why I said I wouldn't put money on either way and gave you more information and advice - some doctors should not be practicing. And even if you are a troll, this is good info to get out.

Phone/visit your GP first thing tomorrow to find out if you need a tetanus jab.

Tetanus is relatively rare - mostly because of the vaccine. Which may be why some doctors get complacent. If you aren't covered, you need a booster very, very soon. Like tomorrow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of curiousity OP, did the Doctor use a computer by any chance?
    Perhaps record of tetanus jab would have been on database.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of curiousity OP, did the Doctor use a computer by any chance?
    Perhaps record of tetanus jab would have been on database.

You'd think wouldn't you with the national spine. But unless he had the booster at the hospital (unusual) it wouldn't show - GP records and hospital records are still entirely separate. Hospital might send a discharge letter, GP might update his records but that is about it.

ETA - very few hospitals have digitized records and no hospital will get records out of storage in less than two hours!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I treated a man who had tetanus, caught his arm on a nail in the garden. It was a horrible death for his relarives to watch, and one of the most 'needless' deaths I witnessed whilst working for many years in ITU.