Daughter is terrified I will die

morecowbellmorecowbell Posts: 1,491
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Morning all,

I am a single parent to an eleven year old girl. Recently she has been panicking about the fact I might die. She has hit that age where she realises I wont be around forever. She said recently that she hates her life now as that's all she thinks about. Also, because she is an only child she is terrified about being left "on her own". I must say, I didnt consider that when I thought if I wanted anymoe children.

Ive told her it's perfectly normal to think like that (I rememeber I did too at that age, but not to the extent that she does)

Any advice on how to get her over this??

I probably wont be able to answer until later but will periodically pop on and off during the day to read any replies. x

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She must be feeling insecure for some reason.

Has anything happened that has made her feel insecure?, perhaps you need to sit down and talk to her,

find out why she thinks you might die, as that does not seem like a healthy situation.

I also feel that children can pick up negative vibes around them, and this can result in this type of anxiety.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you been ill recently? Has one of her school friends had a bereavement? Something must have triggered these thoughts. It could be something as seemingly trivial as a film or a TV show she has seen or a story read in the newspapers.
  • morecowbellmorecowbell Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do have an illness (crohns disease) so she has been bought up with me having hospital treatment, medication, injections etc etc. Its not a new thing, Ive had it since I was 18 so thats pretty much all she knows.

Ive talked and talked with her but all she can say is she gets these thoughts that come from nowhere.

She has started senior school in Septemeber which is a big thing for any kid, plus the usual maturing of the body and brain are kicking in too.

Im telling her that these thoughts are not doing her any good and she must try to tell herself that when she has one to immediately change it to something fun and positive.

Im really wondering what other's expereinces of this are like. Is it normal? Does it ease off with time?
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather than telling her not to worry, would it be better to face it head on, and actually discuss what would happen to her if you died? Not that you're planning on doing it, obviously, but maybe if you could say something like this: "Well, this illness that I have is not going to kill me, and I'm planning to be around for a long time, but everyone has to die sometime, so let's talk about it." If you've thought yourself about who would look after her if anything happened, tell her about it. Sometimes it's the uncertainty that's the worst thing. Difficult one to handle, I agree.
  • _radioamerica_radioamerica Posts: 4,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm like that but I have panic disorder with obsessive thoughts. Its really not healthy for her to be thinking this way but its also not healthy for her to repress her thoughts. Hopefully its just a phase where she is coming to terms with the fact that everybody dies and you will too.

I think now might be a time to have an adult talk with her about your illness. To let her ask questions about it and get honest answers. She might feel a bit like she has no control of the situation and that is why she is obsessing. Reassure her that whilst everybody dies it will be a long time before you do. Remind her that its the fun bit in the middle of being born and dying that counts and thats the most important bit :)
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    Rather than telling her not to worry, would it be better to face it head on, and actually discuss what would happen to her if you died? Not that you're planning on doing it, obviously, but maybe if you could say something like this: "Well, this illness that I have is not going to kill me, and I'm planning to be around for a long time, but everyone has to die sometime, so let's talk about it." If you've thought yourself about who would look after her if anything happened, tell her about it. Sometimes it's the uncertainty that's the worst thing. Difficult one to handle, I agree.

This is the approach I've always taken with my boys, though they were younger (about 6 or 7) when they went through the 'mum's going to die' phase.

Who would look after your daughter if anything happened? Grandparents? Father? Uncle/Aunt? Usually best to have a list as (in my experience) children will then say 'what if x dies, what if y dies' . I also reminded them of everyone that would still be in their lives. We also talked about how sad it would be.

The fear doesn't go over night, but being open and discussing the fears helps get it into perspective.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She would go to her Dad who see's her very regularly but it's fair to say the relationship between them isnt that great. However I do think you all have hit the nail on the head. Maybe she is terrified of being left with him.
  • Color of NightColor of Night Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are going through the same problem with my 8yr old grandson. This started after they got burgled & they left a knife in the middle of the living room floor. My grandson is convinced his mum is going to be killed & its got so bad now he has been begging the teachers at school to ring home to check on his mum.
    The school have now referred him to a physiologist, my daughter didn't know about his anxieties as he hasn't said anything to her, its all been going on at school. We have explained to him that we are all there for him but he is worried about myself & his grandad too.
    I remember going through something similar when I was a little girl, at the time we had all the warnings & ads on tv about nuclear bombs & shelters, for me as a young girl it was frightening.
    I agree talking about it & being honest & open is better than hoping it will just go away.
  • T.K.MaxxT.K.Maxx Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went through the exact same phase when I was around eight or so. One day I got so upset that I said to my Mum, I dont know what we'd do if we lost you?, She comforted me, and re-assured me that, that wouldn't take place for a very long time. I don't know what triggered it, but it did leave me and think I only remember thinking/feeling of these thoughts for a very brief moment.

Good luck with it
  • ChasingSundaysChasingSundays Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My 5 year old (he will be 6 in feb) has been going through the same sort of thing recently.
    Talking to me about death and will i die before him etc and asking me if i will wait in heaven for him when i die...in fact the other day he said to me that when i die he is going to get a gun and kill himself because he doesnt want to live without me :eek: i couldnt believe that could come out of a young childs mouth!

I know he is becoming more aware of death and aware that he has siblings that have died as babies etc
    I dont really have any advice as im not quite sure how to handle it myself, but all i have been doing so far is trying to reassure him alot and saying to him that i wont be dying for a long time yet and when i do die he will be a grown up.

Sorry this has turned into a rambling post.
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has there recently been a bereavement in your extended family, an aunt/uncle, Gran/great Gran, etc. :confused:

Have you had the old photo albums out, remembering deceased relatives and friends :confused:
  • Dangerous.DaveDangerous.Dave Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's all that uncommon for children to go through a spell like this. Mortality can play on the minds of children from time to time as it does with adults. And to them we seem a lot older than we think we are!

Just reassure her - it will pass.

DD
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    What you do is put some powder on your face and lie still in the lounge and wait till she comes home from school and as she runs over to you, just lie still and as she fears you have succumbed to the other side........shout 'boo' and that should sort her out
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She would go to her Dad who see's her very regularly but it's fair to say the relationship between them isnt that great. However I do think you all have hit the nail on the head. Maybe she is terrified of being left with him.

I definitely think you need to make time to explore all her fears. She clearly CAN'T get rid of the thoughts, and things kept in the dark tend to get worse. If you both have a good talk about it, you'll know more about what she's thinking. If she doesn't want to stay with her father, you need to find out why.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know it sounds a bit of a generic answer but it could just be a phase. When I was about 10-11, I was irrationally scared about death (I don't understand why this was) for about six months and the thought of dying kept registering on me at least daily but without really noticing, I stopped thinking about it.
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Fab advice. I can't add anything to improve it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are going through the same problem with my 8yr old grandson. This started after they got burgled & they left a knife in the middle of the living room floor. My grandson is convinced his mum is going to be killed & its got so bad now he has been begging the teachers at school to ring home to check on his mum.
    The school have now referred him to a physiologist, my daughter didn't know about his anxieties as he hasn't said anything to her, its all been going on at school. We have explained to him that we are all there for him but he is worried about myself & his grandad too.
    I remember going through something similar when I was a little girl, at the time we had all the warnings & ads on tv about nuclear bombs & shelters, for me as a young girl it was frightening.
    I agree talking about it & being honest & open is better than hoping it will just go away.

Oh my gosh, thats horrible. No wonder the poor thing is scared :eek:

There hasnt been any recent deaths thank god. Although this recent spate had come on after watching "Benidorm" and seeing the tribute to Mel that was on after it. Im hoping its just that stage you get to when mortality hits full on. Hopefully its a sign of fading childhood and imminent adulthood and all the adult worries that get us all!

I rememeber we were watching a horror film countdown show (before all this started) and it had a clip of the hanging in The Omen and she said (just like ChasingSundays text) that that was how she was going to kill herself when I died :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'll have another talk to her and see what happens. Normally as soon as the D word is mentioned she puts her fingers in her ears and starts la la laaaaaa-ing!
  • Color of NightColor of Night Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this has just reminded me about a phone call I got from my grandson last night. He sneaked the phone up to bed last night as he does sometimes to ring me bless him. Anyway he rang me last night & said I love you Nana, I said I love you too & then he said I don't want to watch Eastenders when its on because people are always fighting, i said I know then he said too many people die, everyone dies on there. I just said its pretend & he is right not to watch it if it upsets him, he also said sometimes when he put his tv on Hollyoaks is on & people always die on there too.
    Although I tried to reassure him I has just dawned on me how much has this affected him:eek:
  • #grotbags##grotbags# Posts: 1,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 6 year old is forever talking about death, specifically mine. He told me last week that I'll die before my next birthday. He's quite matter of fact about it. Questions such as "when you die, will I live with Daddy?" Not "if" but "when". It freaks me out.

He knows my parents died when I was a child, so I put his fascination down to that, but it's quite unsettling :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    #grotbags# wrote: »
    My 6 year old is forever talking about death, specifically mine. He told me last week that I'll die before my next birthday. He's quite matter of fact about it. Questions such as "when you die, will I live with Daddy?" Not "if" but "when". It freaks me out.

He knows my parents died when I was a child, so I put his fascination down to that, but it's quite unsettling :(

Children are interested by death, and around the age of 6 is when they start to understand that when people die, they don't come back. I think being matter-of-fact about it is the only way to go, because kids are interested in absolutely everything - it's all new to them - and it doesn't mean they're going nuts, it's just another new thing to find out about. Also, for a 6-year-old, his mother is obviously older than he is, therefore must be VERY old. Old people die, therefore mother will die. Kids are very literal in their thinking!

It's a bit like discussions on sex, just answer each question as best you can, as they come, and be led by the child.
  • #grotbags##grotbags# Posts: 1,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Children are interested by death, and around the age of 6 is when they start to understand that when people die, they don't come back. I think being matter-of-fact about it is the only way to go, because kids are interested in absolutely everything - it's all new to them - and it doesn't mean they're going nuts, it's just another new thing to find out about. Also, for a 6-year-old, his mother is obviously older than he is, therefore must be VERY old. Old people die, therefore mother will die. Kids are very literal in their thinking!

It's a bit like discussions on sex, just answer each question as best you can, as they come, and be led by the child.

He's been at it for years! I try my best, and he soon forgets about it and I'm the one left feeling upset! :D

Today he told me he wishes he was dead so that he could "travel the world forever" :confused: I just told him it would be better for us all if he just worked hard and got a good job, saved up his pennies and came back and showed us the photos :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He told me last week that I'll die before my next birthday.

He's not get himself a job as a hit man, has he :confused::D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I tried to reassure him I has just dawned on me how much has this affected him:eek:

Watching Eastenders and Hollyoaks is enough to affect anyone. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's been at it for years! I try my best, and he soon forgets about it and I'm the one left feeling upset! :D

Today he told me he wishes he was dead so that he could "travel the world forever" :confused: I just told him it would be better for us all if he just worked hard and got a good job, saved up his pennies and came back and showed us the photos :D

He sounds great, my sort of kid! He's obviously got a good imagination and he's thinking about stuff. I think you're dealing with it just fine, and he'll love you when he's 21 and you tell all this to his girlfriend! :D
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    He's not get himself a job as a hit man, has he :confused::D

I was thinking the same...