Options

Programmes Missing From Bbc/itv Player

Comments

• Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hdmog wrote: »
    The Hour has appeared this afternoon, although only the BBC2 SD version. No BBC HD version as yet.
    At last!! I thought The Hour was never going to go up before episode 2.
    techtrader wrote: »
    Will Strictly HD version be added later for y'days show??

The HD versions of last weekend's Strictly shows are now up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    went to sit down with the kids to watch hammonds miracles of nature and episodes 2 and 3 have disappeared

original date they were due to expire was mon 26/11

nice one bbc, two unhappy kids!
  • Options
    aerofly2aerofly2 Posts: 2,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    went to sit down with the kids to watch hammonds miracles of nature and episodes 2 and 3 have disappeared

I too missed the first two episodes, and emailed the BBC two days ago for an explanation as to why episodes 1 & 2 no longer exist, and as of yet no reply.........I'm not holding my breath :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    episode 1 is up, it's 2 & 3 that's missing, they were there at the beginning of the week
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last Tango in Halifax was SD only as well.

Why is this so hit and miss?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    episode 1 is up, it's 2 & 3 that's missing, they were there at the beginning of the week

The reason I emailed the BBC on Monday was that there were NO episodes on the iPlayer when I checked.:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member

I would love to know the answer as well. Its a service that is only on HD boxes yet very often we are left waiting for the HD version, a bit of a joke really.
    The biggest joke though is Sky saying output is down to BBC/ITV but them saying take it up with Sky, who then refuse to discuss or comment.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The HD versions do appear, but not always straight away. Last Tango is now in SD and HD.

Glad I recorded The Hour off BBC HD, as that has never appeared in HD. Same with Masterchef (although the Escoffier doc was).

Last Saturday, I forgot Killing and the first episode was available in both HD and SD within a few minutes of it ending. So I was downloading the first and recording the second at the same time!!

Shame there's no DD sound as the Killing is in full DD5.1.

At least the HD is as good as broadcast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, all 3 are back on iPlayer now, so catch them while you can :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Supersized Earth, shown on Wednesday, is available in SD, but there's no sign of it in HD. It isn't good when you wonder if the programmes you want to watch are even going to be there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is still an issue, I see.

No sign of Africa in HD, and it was shown on Wednesday night.

A quick glance at some other days shows the following:

Monday: Doctors is the only programme from BBC1 in HD.
    Tuesday: Eastenders and Holby City are the only programmes.
    Wednesday: Doctors and The One Show are the only programmes.

It's very frustrating because the picture quality is the best of any platform, but much of the content is missing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Really gutting episode 2 of Africa in HD is still not on :(
  • Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matutu wrote: »
    Really gutting episode 2 of Africa in HD is still not on :(

I have complained about this on the Sky forum, I can get the HD version on my Smart TV and PC but not on OnDemand :(

OD lists just 2 programmes in HD on Wed but iPlayer has many more! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    I have complained about this on the Sky forum, I can get the HD version on my Smart TV and PC but not on OnDemand :(

OD lists just 2 programmes in HD on Wed but iPlayer has many more! :rolleyes:

The BBC / Sky / whoever need to address this, and soon. In a few months time, iPlayer will be the only place we will be able to see some of the BBC's HD and 3D programming.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, considering that catch-up is only available on HD boxes and the majority of those have the HD sub, Sky aren't that keen on promoting HD, or making it easy to find.

From the Sky user forum
    Thanks for your post,

The SD version will be more popular as more customer have access to this and less have HD.

If a non HD customer downloads this and waits to view they will not be able to untill the have the HD pack on their account.

Hope this helps.
    We do not have both versions side by side as we can only add so many programmes onto the 'Recently Added' section, and want to offer as wide a selection as possible for our customers, so the decision has been made to have more programmes readily available than to have the HD option there.

Also, the majority of Sky+HD customers can download this in HD if they wish, but as the HD broadcast takes up more memory on a customer's box, we are trying to allow as much space to be left available for recordings and additional downloads as possible. If a customer wishes to download this In HD and use more of the space on their box, as well as more of there possible usage allowance for their broadband service, we do still facilitate this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^

I don't even know what that response is supposed to mean. The simple fact is that many programmes shown in HD on BBC1 don't appear on the BBC iPlayer service on Sky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^

I don't even know what that response is supposed to mean. The simple fact is that many programmes shown in HD on BBC1 don't appear on the BBC iPlayer service on Sky.

...and Sky don't appear to think that lack of HD (or finding it, if it is available) is an issue.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, considering that catch-up is only available on HD boxes and the majority of those have the HD sub, Sky aren't that keen on promoting HD, or making it easy to find.

From the Sky user forum

That's frustrating because even when you do a search the HD option for a BBC1 show isn't always listed. I have an HD box and space on it to download HD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...and Sky don't appear to think that lack of HD (or finding it, if it is available) is an issue.

Indeed, maybe we should point out that their reply appears to imply that they undervalue HD because more people prefer to dowload SD and the minority have HD subs.

In which case why are you expecting us to pay you £123 per year to access HD as your premium service?

If their SD customers really do prefer SD then give them that - but would it not be a nice idea for Sky to tailor i player HD content to those who pay HD subs thus providing an extra marketting initiative for this premium sub to the customers who prove they value it by paying in the first place?

If they drive people to watch catch up in SD they risk customers axing their HD sub because of deciding that if SD is regarded acceptable by Sky for shows like Africa then why pay Sky more for it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The worry is that Sky are doing this on purpose to stop vieweras thinking - ooh there is so much free HD on catch up why bother paying Sky a sub for it?
  • Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Africa in HD is now available but they have a few more programmes to add.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    Africa in HD is now available but they have a few more programmes to add.

It's not so bad with Africa because the time available to watch is quite long. For programmes that only stay there for a week, taking two days to put them up isn't really acceptable.
  • Options
    StuartPlymouthStuartPlymouth Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, as the HD box is now the standard new install, the majority of their subscribers probably don't have the HD sub, and just use it for the free HD channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, as the HD box is now the standard new install, the majority of their subscribers probably don't have the HD sub, and just use it for the free HD channels.

Latest figures from Sky. 6.7m Sky+HD boxes and 4.468m with HD sub.
  • Options
    philleesphillees Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    Just had a look on the iplayer for the Super Bowl, it's not on. Well sky's version anyway, Had a look on the computer and its their. I get they can't put everything on but surely a sport they show once a year should have made onto sky's version too.