Options

4oD coming to Sky On Demand

Comments

• Options
    aussiewantsaps2aussiewantsaps2 Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its 2013 and still no release date for 4OD which is annoying if you miss a programme on C4 or your Sky box fails!! You can catch up on a lot now so 4OD missing is feeling more painful. Anyone heard a release date?
  • Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its 2013 and still no release date for 4OD which is annoying if you miss a programme on C4 or your Sky box fails!! You can catch up on a lot now so 4OD missing is feeling more painful. Anyone heard a release date?

Nope! You could try looking on 4-7 etc... for repeats.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More 4 HD is supposedly coming on 4 Feb according to the thread here. Maybe 4 OD will join on that day too?
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe 4 OD will join on that day too?

can't see it to be honest.
  • Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More 4 HD is supposedly coming on 4 Feb according to the thread here. Maybe 4 OD will join on that day too?

They will need to do a trial first and there are no reports of that happening anytime soon.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    They will need to do a trial first and there are no reports of that happening anytime soon.

Will Sky be whipping out it's NDA's Annie? :D

I heard Geordie Lady is a dead cert for the trial...if her box is working
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    I heard Geordie Lady is a dead cert for the trial...if her box is working

That's the end of that then, no more updates :D
  • Options
    StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4OD On Demand on SKY+HD 29th January, "Coming Spring 2013."

A selection frame has appeared today Tuesday 29th January, on SKY+HD On Demand, " Coming Spring 2013 "

In addition to the usual BBC, ITV, Channel 5 and SKY etc
  • Options
    blueplatinumblueplatinum Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, and catch up icons have also appeared for Sky Movies, Nat Geo, History and CI.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing it will arrive mid to late march
  • Options
    MikeOf LBuzzardMikeOf LBuzzard Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    anniebrion wrote: »

And how about Film4HD?
    This is the one I've been waiting for ever it feels.
    Will they need to do an elongated trial for this channel too?
    Or does the fact Virgin have been broadcasting it for it's third year mean it will arrive next week?:confused:
  • Options
    GottaBeAdoredGottaBeAdored Posts: 11,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to this.

4OD back catalogue is massive, do we think we will get a decent selection available through Sky?
  • Options
    RestorerRestorer Posts: 2,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this.

4OD back catalogue is massive, do we think we will get a decent selection available through Sky?

I doubt it. The only thing we know for sure is that 4OD will be coming to the Catch Up section of On Demand.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    will 4oD have any HD content?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    will 4oD have any HD content?

does the online version of 4OD have HD content?
    i don't believe it does, thus i doubt HD content would be made available via the Sky version.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    and what would you base that assumption on then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

basing on the fact that 4OD don't provide HD content via their own catchup service, so why would sky get any special treatment?

if you can offer any evidence to rebuke this opinion then feel free to offer it.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Probably on this:

chenks wrote: »
    i don't believe it does, thus i doubt HD content would be made available via the Sky version.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ok i'm assuming (perhaps wrongly) that sky have access to larger storage/server capacity and may be in a better position to offer HD content than 4 via their website

after all wouldn't it make sense for 4 (and i know we have to use the term loosely when talking about TV companies) to offer it, at least on new programmes, so as to have a comparable service to their competitors?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ok i'm assuming (perhaps wrongly) that sky have access to larger storage/server capacity and may be in a better position to offer HD content than 4 via their website

irrelevant, it's still CH4 that manages and provides the content.
    sky simply provide the distribution system (same for BBC, ITV and 5).
    after all wouldn't it make sense for 4 (and i know we have to use the term loosely when talking about TV companies) to offer it, at least on new programmes, so as to have a comparable service to their competitors?

if they had it to offer then they already would.
    ITV don't provide any HD content via their catchup service.
  • Options
    Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 4OD service on youview has no HD content.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    according to this article

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a161400/high-def-4od-difficult-to-justify.html

the main problem is cost for channel 4 to stream in Hd via their site, as sky already has a platform to stream Hd on demand perhaps that's one barrier less to overcome

perhaps if somebody from sky is reading this they can give us a more definitive answer?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    according to this article

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a161400/high-def-4od-difficult-to-justify.html

the main problem is cost for channel 4 to stream in Hd via their site, as sky already has a platform to stream Hd on demand perhaps that's one barrier less to overcome

perhaps if somebody from sky is reading this they can give us a more definitive answer?

that article is almost 4 years old.
    plus, it's not simply the increased cost in being able to stream HD content (the sky system doesn't stream it anyway), but they also have to own the on demand HD rights as well.

if (and that's a big if) someone from sky was reading the forum, they are hardly going to give any sort of official comment regarding an un-launched product.

virgin already has the system in place to stream HD content, yet 4OD on virgin doesn't have HD content either ??
  • Options
    RestorerRestorer Posts: 2,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those of us who like to clutch at straws, Channel 5 not only lacks HD on its website and other apps but IMO dishes out the worst PQ of the lot of them.

Yet here they are on Sky OD offering broadcast quality HD - albeit in rather limited in range :).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Restorer wrote: »
    For those of us who like to clutch at straws, Channel 5 not only lacks HD on its website and other apps but IMO dishes out the worst PQ of the lot of them.

Yet here they are on Sky OD offering broadcast quality HD - albeit in rather limited in range :).

although the HD content that was being provided was pretty poor on occasions.

however, i think the HD content has a lot to do with the fact that Channel5 HD had help from Sky to launch??