Sir David Beckham?

BunionsBunions Posts: 15,016
Forum Member
✭✭
Do these honours actually have any relevance in today's society?

Nice for the recipients, I'm sure - but what else?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/david-beckham-set-sir-becks-2715994

Comments

• *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite like them, and it's good to acknowledge people who have achieved something. We have to remember that most recipients aren't famous, but being famous shouldn't exclude you from getting one.

Right now Becks has an OBE, which feels about right for his playing career and the extra stuff he did for the Olympics and the academy merit an upgrade to a CBE, then give it a few more years before considering the Knighthood. He's got plenty of time and he'll get it so long as he continues to contribute as he's been doing.
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    I quite like them, and it's good to acknowledge people who have achieved something. We have to remember that most recipients aren't famous, but being famous shouldn't exclude you from getting one.

Right now Becks has an OBE, which feels about right for his playing career and the extra stuff he did for the Olympics and the academy merit an upgrade to a CBE, then give it a few more years before considering the Knighthood. He's got plenty of time and he'll get it so long as he continues to contribute as he's been doing.
    Lady Beckham though? :eek:

Naoimi Campbell will be dead chuffed for her :D

I wish more ordinary people would get them.
  • Rare GrooveRare Groove Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    They are irrelevant to 100% peoples lives aside to their family and a few PR and corporate clients. Oh and I forgot to add silly royal titles are even more irrelevant
  • Alien_SaxonAlien_Saxon Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are irrelevant to 100% peoples lives aside to their family and a few PR and corporate clients. Oh and I forgot to add silly royal titles are even more irrelevant

Shh be quiet, don't try and bring common sense here.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    Lady Beckham though? :eek:
    Suit her down to the ground.
    She will suck those cheeks in even more, pout her lips, look as glum and bored as possible whilst strutting her stuff in skyscraper heels.

Never been able to figure out quite why she seems to think this is how everyone with money behaves. :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    All that media whoring is paying off then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,240
    Forum Member
    Lady Posh, Sir Golden Balls!
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Is this for his contribution to the economy by helping to sell so many gossip mags and newspapers? Surely Kerry Katona should get recognition too?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,240
    Forum Member
    Not to forget Lady Scary Spice; Sporty; Baby; MelB, and MelC!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is a brilliant bloke and a great example for kids today....good on him.
  • maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    There're other footballers just as good that don't get the attention.
    If I was Alex Fergurson, I would have told him straight that nobody's inexpendable and United have managed without him before.
    Sounds more attention and publicity seeking and another ego boost for Victoria Beckham (th more publicity and attention he gets, the more she wants) time.

Just what's so special about them anyway?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he should be knighted, he's contributed a hell of a lot more to sport and this country than most footballers have. He's also a generally nice guy too.
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose it would look good on your bank card but other than that not really relevant now.
  • Default_UserDefault_User Posts: 4,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can just imagine the blinged out suit of armour Victoria would design for him. Interchangeable leopard-print breast-plate and bejazzled cuirass.:)
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was a mediocre footballer who got lucky, There are far more deserving people out there who do far more for charity than he ever will who don't get any sort of recognition yet they still help those who need it .
    At least he will sodding off back to America again soon
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll get slated for this but all he "deserves" the knighthood for is making the game more about the almighty $£$£$£$£$£$ than it already was, and probably increasing footballer's marketing image right fees.

In other words, he really doesn't deserve it. He's won naff all as an international player despite - unlike George Best - actually having the platform to do so. I think his OBE is deserved but leave it be at that. He is no Bobby Moore (who should have been knighted in my opinion and deserves it far more), Sir Bobby Charlton, Sir Stanley Matthews - and least of all (much as I hate him) Sir Alex Ferguson.

If he goes into management, or ends up running a highly successful club or youth training programme, then by all means give him the knighthood. But not now.
  • yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine the knighthood may be more for his charity work and how he has represented the country i.e. the Olympics
  • EsensuelleEsensuelle Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    motsy wrote: »
    There're other footballers just as good that don't get the attention.
    If I was Alex Fergurson, I would have told him straight that nobody's inexpendable and United have managed without him before.
    Sounds more attention and publicity seeking and another ego boost for Victoria Beckham (th more publicity and attention he gets, the more she wants) time.

Just what's so special about them anyway?

He did more or less tell him that, that's why he got rid of him. :D
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That be an extra few million for Vicky to spend.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Bunions wrote: »
    Do these honours actually have any relevance in today's society?

They do absolutely Rockall for me. They're handed out like free toys in breakfast cereal, and all the media attention is on the "celebs" who pick them up. Then again, I suppose they'd hardly get any attention otherwise!! :rolleyes:
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    About time there were two completely different honours, one for people who do charitable work, life saving, acts of bravery, inventing something for the good on mankind etc. They can still be called Sir, Dame or Lady. And another honour for showbiz types and those deemed 'national treasures'. Can't quite think of what title they could have, but different to 'Sir' etc.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    About time there were two completely different honours, one for people who do charitable work, life saving, acts of bravery, inventing something for the good on mankind etc. They can still be called Sir, Dame or Lady. And another honour for showbiz types and those deemed 'national treasures'. Can't quite think of what title they could have, but different to 'Sir' etc.

Bra ... Been Rewarded Already!
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,548
    Forum Member
    This had better be a joke :mad: He has done nothing to deserve any award.

What an insult to our heros who have fort for our Country :(
  • yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    This had better be a joke :mad: He has done nothing to deserve any award.

What an insult to our heros who have fort for our Country :(

How is it an insult to those that have fought for this country?