Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 46)

Comments

• Options
    dulliredullire Posts: 20,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of Paul Connelly's shows was the fifth most watched TV3 broadcast of 2012 behind Corrie, XFactor, Emmerdale and the return of Dallas.
    Rounding off the Top 5 was a TV3 home production, The Town that Travellers Took Over. In October of this year, 448,800 watched Paul Connolly’s investigation in Rathkeale in Co.Limerick - a town revered by much of Ireland's Traveller community as their spiritual home.

His Bogus Beggars & Ireland's Dole Cheats specials also made the top 20.

TV3's first ever drama averaged 210k. The 6 part series started with 312k and finished with 184k.
    It was 48% above the slot average compared to the same period in 2012. It has yet to be recommissioned. The 2nd series of Dallas replaced it at 10pm last Monday.

TV3 are also currently airing their first comedy On The Couch at 10:30pm on Tuesdays. Don't have any figures.
  • Options
    marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KMair wrote: »
    Face The Clock - 180,220 (2.7%)
    Countdown - 395,444 (5.7%)
    The Common Denominator - 322,660 (3.4%)
    Deal or No Deal - 841,600 (8.0%)
    Tipping Point - 1,995,555 (18.9%)

Inc HD exc. +1

All time low for DOND on a weekday? Face the Clock repeats not holding up well. Common Denominator low. Anyone got the figures for Monday?
  • Options
    rivkinrivkin Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    eterry21 wrote: »
    Why do ITV bother with all this celebrity/ reality garbage?

if bbc can pull in 7 million for celeb ova infulenced lets dance on sat night itv might as well do the same but with singing seems its wats viewers want as only sat night shows so far this year to do well are splash n lets dance both celeb shows that have critics and anti celeb fans spitting venom, prob is while ratings good the shows like this will continue
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deal or No Deal should go back to basics. It needs to be cut back to 45 mins (or even 30), as there's far too much waffle and filler at the moment. They should get rid of the fancy dress/theme weeks and other twists too.

And was that the collective sound of panic attacks in the DOND thread I hear.:D
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disappointing figure.

I feel sure the testcard would have pulled in at least 600k...

Maybe they could have had Susanna Reid as the testcard girl playing noughts and crosses with Bill Turnbull. That would have got at least a million...

:D
    jake lyle wrote: »
    A new fan from 2011:p
    ftv wrote: »
    So Daybreak didn't capitalise at all on the BBC strike. I actually thought the ''revised'' BBC format of a straight 30 minutes of news followed by a feature in the ''back'' half-hour worked well - perhaps ITV should try it ?
    I don't know what they could put in the half-hour slots, though. If Bargain Hunt got about a quarter of its lunchtime audience, presumably ITV's repeatable daytime stuff would only get about a quarter too, so that'd be about 250K for a Real Deal cutdown.
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Does sound something that Channel 4 would show, probably will do okay.
    In fairness, he probably doesn't have much money to play with for commissioning new shows. I can't imagine there's much left once all the channel's ongoing commitments (Aussie soaps, American dramas, film rights, daytime shows, news, Big Brother, cricket etc) are budgeted for.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do ITV bother with all this celebrity/ reality garbage?

Of course Saturday night shows have celebrities on them, that's why they're celebrities. This is no different to all the walk-on guests they used to have on the Generation Game or Game For A Laugh. I don't know what people expect on a Saturday night, or think has been on Saturday night for decades. There were just as many bloody awful Saturday night shows in the eighties and nineties but you didn't notice because House Party and Blind Date were propping the schedules up. And lots of them had celebrities on. Go and watch Full Swing on YouTube and see Floella Benjamin playing PGA Tour Golf and then come back here and say anything today is any worse.

For what it's worth, I used to enjoy Celebrity Stars In Their Eyes when it began because it was ace to see the celebs wetting themselves with fear, although the novelty wore off a bit. If this new series is executed well, with a sense of fun, it might be quite an engaging affair. Could be a bit like Ant vs Dec when they were challenged to make up a boy band and stuff. Though presumably it'll be too long, as light entertainmnet shows appear to be these days.

Mention of The One And Only on the last page reminded me that was a truly awful programme, not least because it just completely took the Fame Academy template and followed it to the letter, right down to the contestants voting each other off in the presence of David and Carrie Grant. And it was flawed from day one as the prize was to perform in Vegas and they put a Robbie Williams soundalike in there, even though clearly nobody in America has heard of him.
    LW09 wrote: »
    Whether or not Adrian quit The One Show and GMTV was still on air, I do think it would be basically what Daybreak is now and would be rating similarly.

The Adrian & Christine era of Daybreak may be the most watched but that was down on the year or so of GMTV before it. ITV Breakfast has been in decline for years and nothing seems to be halting it. Likewise if Adrian & Christine were still there I think it would still have similar ratings to what it is getting today.

Yes, GMTV was declining anyway, and it was a soiled brand with all the phone-in problems, although one of the issues with the change is that GMTV viewers didn't realise any of that so they were alienated with the change. But Breakfast was already on the up anyway, it probably would have overtaken GMTV sooner rather than later.

I don't see the point of changing it radically, though, there simply aren't enough formats for breakfast TV that would work. You could go for hard news but that's is a hopeless idea becaue the Beeb have loads more resources and had things like business and sport, and ITV Breakfast needs to be female-skewing for the advertisers anyway, advertisers want to aim at that audience at that time. Hard news formats have never worked at breakfast time anyway because the people interested in that are either listening to the radio or have already gone out. Even if you could do it, people wouldn't think of tuning into ITV for it, given what had gone before.

The only other thing you can do is a Big Breakfast-type thing but that's highly likely to just fall flat on its face. So you end up with what you've got now which is the least worst option, as well as the most obviously ITV affair. I'm pretty sure Daybreak these days costs absolutely next to nothing.
    sw2963 wrote: »
    That comes a complete surprise :p How old is her daughter now 35 she doesn't need the holidays off surely.

Well, she has to take a holiday sometimes, and it makes sense to do it this week when the schools are on holiday so there are fewer viewers anyway.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deal Or No Deal really falling now. I predict this will still be on for another year or so though. At best, this programme should be cut back to 30 minutes. All the silliness that wastes the hour surely turns some people off watching it?

Face The Clock looks especially weak.
    Common Denominator looks to be doing even worse than Face the Clock as at 3.30pm. It is an absolute no brainer that Countdown needs to return to 3.15pm to see it's own ratings improve by about 50% and give Deal or No Deal a better inheritence in face of stiffer competition.

There is no doubt DOND is suffering on multiple fronts - increased competition, it's age, it being on too often and C4's own stupidity in breaking up it's long established partnership with Countdown at a time competition from both BBC1 and ITV is increasing, just inviting viewers to channel hop.

It is still one of the best game shows around though - but familiarity certainly breeds contempt. I couldn't watch it daily anymore but caught an episode last week and it is still brilliant TV, and perhaps now could be stronger as a weekly show rather than daily show.

C4's cheap daytime quiz show strategy has been fruitless too - they'd have been better off taking a bigger risk with one or two hour-long formats to potentially alternate with Deal or take on The Chase and Pointless (as just like Deal, they will tire themselves eventually - IMO Pointless already is). If it doesn't work it doesn't work, but heck they'd have ended up with one flop rather than three.
  • Options
    excel99excel99 Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah. Why didn't they just keep 5 News at 7? They rated close to 750-800k. Whereas the move to 6.30 has badly affected 5 News.
    It was doing nothing like that in it's later days - it was rating about the same at the 6.30pm does now IIRC. By moving it, C5 can slot repeats of 60 minute programmes in at 7pm - rather than commissioning half hour programmes for 6.30pm/7.30pm
    Dancc wrote: »
    Ben Frow makes his first C5 commission 'Super Scroungers', a 3 part documentary series made in-house which explores the flaws in the benefit system:

http://about.channel5.com/node/1777
    It's current affairs at least. Hopefully it's sensitively made, making clear most people don't abuse the benefits system, just a small minority
  • Options
    russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Common Denominator looks to be doing even worse than Face the Clock as at 3.30pm. It is an absolute no brainer that Countdown needs to return to 3.15pm to see it's own ratings improve by about 50% and give Deal or No Deal a better inheritence in face of stiffer competition.

There is no doubt DOND is suffering on multiple fronts - increased competition, it's age, it being on too often and C4's own stupidity in breaking up it's long established partnership with Countdown at a time competition from both BBC1 and ITV is increasing, just inviting viewers to channel hop.

It is still one of the best game shows around though - but familiarity certainly breeds contempt. I couldn't watch it daily anymore but caught an episode last week and it is still brilliant TV, and perhaps now could be stronger as a weekly show rather than daily show.

C4's cheap daytime quiz show strategy has been fruitless too - they'd have been better off taking a bigger risk with one or two hour-long formats to potentially alternate with Deal or take on The Chase and Pointless (as just like Deal, they will tire themselves eventually - IMO Pointless already is). If it doesn't work it doesn't work, but heck they'd have ended up with one flop rather than three.

It's a bit no-win - leave things as they were (Countdown at 3.15/3.30, Deal at 4/4.15), and it's lazy, unimaginative, and results in gradual decline. Make a change and ratings suffer.

Finding a new format isn't easy, and obviously The Chase and Pointless are great formats - hard to compete with.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And was that the collective sound of panic attacks in the DOND thread I hear.:D

It's had its day and no doubt when Noel Edmonds realises this, DOND will go. Why not have a more modern version of 15 to 1? DOND is a no skill show that Noel has tried to turn into an LE pantomime to remind him of his glory days and has backfired.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    LW09 wrote: »
    Isn't Lorraine usually very close to BBC Breakfast anyway when head to head, with about 200k or so in it?

Yesterday Lorraine lost to Breakfast head-to-head by 1.75m (28.8%) to 1.03m (17.0%) exc +1.
    well I hope last night's figures show STV that Scots will watch CL games involving English teams

ITV Scotland (STV/ITV Border, exc HD)
    Champions League Live: 415k (20.5%)

Compared with 4.05m (16.7%) exc HD & +1 on Channel 3 across the UK.
    The Holby figure will include about 400,000 watching River City in Scotland.

BBC One - Holby City/River City: 5.08m (21.0%)
    * Scotland - River City: 380k (19.0%)
    * Rest of UK - Holby City: 4.70m (21.2%)

I notice that consistently fewer Scots (about 6% last night) watch TV in the 8pm hour than do people in the rest of the UK. Any theories? :)
    derek500 wrote: »
    Are the overnights normally this bad? Last official we have is 1.52m, so either it timeshifts very well, or the final episode just died.

Last Tuesday's Utopia rated as follows (exc / inc +1):

Live: 473k (2.9%) / 553k (3.4%)
    Overnight: 556k (3.3%) / 633.5k (3.8%)
    Official: 1.01m (5.2%) / 1.15m (5.85%)

Last night's overnighted at 530k (3.5%) / 641k (4.2%), so it's actually up on last week including +1, and the share was better with or without +1. And it's a massive timeshifter (although it's fallen a lot of course.)
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    Looking at that it may even average 4m. But even with 2m, it'll be the highest rated BBC3 broadcast for a while.

I'd be very surprised if Norton averages even as high as 2m on BBC Three. It will be a school/work night after all. I see that the EE repeat is pushed back to 1am that night.
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    Some rather respectable ratings for daytime there. What about All Over the Place USA at 7:45am (both days) and all ratings from 17:15 onwards yesterday?

All Over the Place: USA is doing pretty well; at least the shares look healthy to me:

Mon 07:45 - 207k (3.7%)
    Tue 07:45 - 212k (3.8%)

Averaging a 16.7% share of the child audience so far. As for CBBC last night:

17:15 – The Johnny and Inel Show: 169k (1.1%)
    17:45 – My Life: 326k (1.8%)
    18:15 – Help! My Supply Teacher Is Magic: 253k (1.3%)
    18:45 – The Owl: 176k (0.8%)
    18:50 – Newsround: 102k (0.5%)
    Are there any figures for Geordie Shore?

Geordie Shore had 365k (2.1%) inc +1.
    chrisr21 wrote: »
    Anything for the 6:30 Regional News? Just thinking about the effect the Strike had on The One Show's Monday rating (3.77m).

The BBC One Regional News at 18:30 had 6.23m (30.2%).
    rzt wrote: »
    NeilVW - do you have the following consolidated ratings please?

- Lewis (11/2/13): both ITV (SD+HD) and ITV Total +HD: 7.4677m (24.22%) exc +1*
    - Death in Paradise (12/2/13): BBC One: 7.4904m (27.94%)

* Nerdy note
    There is a problem with ITV+1 consolidated data for Lewis. I can tell you that ITV (SD+HD) averaged 7.0877m (23.25%) across the 21:00-22:00 timeslot, consolidated but without stripping out ads. (The timeslot for Lewis correct to the nearest 1 minute was 21:00-22:00). The ITV Total + HD figure was 7.6428m (25.07%). From this we can estimate that the fully consolidated figure for ITV Total + HD, without ads, was about 8.05m (26.1%)
    Any ratings for the vampire diaries on itv2 last night plz

Vampire Diaries: 303k (1.2%) / 413k (1.7%) (exc/inc +1)
    Anyone have the ratings for Monkey Life (19:00) and Highland Emergency (19:30) for Channel 5 yesterday?
    Thanks.

exc / inc +1
    Monkey Life (r): 303k (1.4%) / 334.5k (1.5%)
    Highland Emergency (r): 685k (2.9%) / 705k (3.0%)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »

exc / inc +1
    Monkey Life (r): 303k (1.4%) / 334.5k (1.5%)
    Highland Emergency (r): 685k (2.9%) / 705k (3.0%)

Thanks for these! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone have ratings for Trisha USA yesterday? Thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone have ratings for Trisha USA yesterday? Thanks.

She's taken a tumble for some reason: 127k (2.2%) / 135k (2.4%) exc/inc +1.
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,477
    Forum Member
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Why are light entertainment productions so difficult to create. You would think a department would be brainstorming the next big hit given the investment in the big british television companies. Itv has paid to get the rights to the stars in their eyes clone. The bbc paid to get the rights to an x factor clone. How about coming up with another strictly to sell around the world.

You make it sound so easy. :D

In truth, every production company out there is absolutely desperate to hit upon the next Strictly. They'll be brainstorming for it every single day. But in truth you need a bit of know-how, a bit of inspiration, and a whole truckload of luck. It's gold dust, and you usually don't even know you have it till it gets on screen.

Which is why broadcasters like international formats - they're already on screen, so you have a greater degree of certainty about how they will perform.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Last week's Dallas in its new sexy timeslot of 11pm put on another massive (relative) timeshift (figures exc/inc +1):

Live: 323k (3.5%) / 376k (4.0%)
    Overnight: 328k (3.4%) / 382k (4.0%)
    Consolidated: 920k (8.0%) / 1.07m (9.3%)

Only season 1's* premiere and second episode had higher shares (a fan here putting a brave fave on it. :D)
    * I mean 2012 and not 1978/9, obviously. ;)
    jda135 wrote: »
    All time low for DOND on a weekday? Face the Clock repeats not holding up well. Common Denominator low. Anyone got the figures for Monday?

DOND got 842k/8.0% / 944k/8.9% (exc/inc +1). It has very rarely gone below 1m inc +1 outside the Olympics.

Monday: DOND 919k/8.1%, FTC 200k/2.9%, Countdown 434k/6.1%, Common D 377k/4.8% [all exc +1]
  • Options
    marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DOND got 842k/8.0% / 944k/8.9% (exc/inc +1). It has very rarely gone below 1m inc +1 outside the Olympics.

Thanks for these, I got them earlier. Do you have the ratings for Face the Clock, Countdown, Common Denominator and DOND for Monday? If you do, it would be much appreciated if you could post them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jda135 wrote: »
    Thanks for these, I got them earlier. Do you have the ratings for Face the Clock, Countdown, Common Denominator and DOND for Monday? If you do, it would be much appreciated if you could post them.

See above. :) (I didn't think the +1 for yesterday's DOND had been posted.)
  • Options
    Joe40Joe40 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Royal Television Society TV Journalism Awards winners announced...

http://tvnewsroom.co.uk/news/rts-television-journalism-awards-20112012-the-results-54789/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's taken a tumble for some reason: 127k (2.2%) / 135k (2.4%) exc/inc +1.

Wow it was 225k (3.8%) on Monday! That's a big fall. Maybe the BBC's strike affected line up had a part to play in this?
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    excel99 wrote: »
    It's current affairs at least. Hopefully it's sensitively made, making clear most people don't abuse the benefits system, just a small minority
    Remember this is from the people behind the Daily Express and Daily Star.
  • Options
    AndyB2007AndyB2007 Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A programme aimed at Express readers would be a combination of a miracle drug to cure.... (fill in your own favourite illness) and Arctic weather to grip Britain.Presented by Richard Desmond and his wife.

Or even a documentary on Diana, one of Des's favourite stories for Express.

With additional music by Emeli Sande.:D
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad to see Adele made good on her two fingers up to ITV last year.

By f*cking off to America and sending in a video message short enough that ITV bosses wouldn't be able to cut it off to ensure the news no-one watches started on time.
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Per Charles Sale in the Daily Mail:

"The launch of Channel 4’s new racing coverage has been so underwhelming since the start of the year that the viewing figures for the live racing, and preview programme The Morning Line, are down by 12 per cent on the corresponding 2012 shows."

NB. Doesn't say where the figure comes from but it's a very specific number so it must have come from somewhere!

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2281983/David-Gill-wants-UEFA-executive-role--Charles-Sale.html#ixzz2LUnRQoRA
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God the Brits were dull. No special performances, no big winners, no atmosphere and James Corden struggling through. Adele didn't show up and they had to create an award so as One Direction would win something. Aside from them there were too many winners that just have no name recognition among a casual audience. Generally very little hype before the show as well.
This discussion has been closed.