Options

What channels would you like next on Com8?

2»

Comments

• Options
    tvmad-alantvmad-alan Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    riceuten wrote: »
    Nice to see yet another fantasy Mux thread ;-)

It would be great if people could concentrate on what is possible - probable, even, rather than wanting something that $ky is likely to have signed an exclusivity deal with.

And personally, I would love to see the back of every single +1 channel, and see some foreign language channels (other than Al-Jaz Arabic) on Freeview, but it probably isn't going to happen, not least because the UKIPpers amongst you would explode in fury.

For a Start it's not a fantasy mux ( COM 8) is live on air now and I put out those channels as they are NOT contacted to Sky only as they are on Virgin, Freesat and Talk Talk platforms so they could come onto Freeview with the space that is on COM8 if there owners wish.

And as for +1 channels I feel like many others that they are great for a number of reasons like...
    If you just switch on the TV and show or film or sport has started you could be in luck if you wish to switch channels to sister channel.
    Not all can watch and or record all the shows they wish but with + channels they could.

And because of people that sound like you and not caring for other people wishes and hopes that Freeview is not in 100% of UK homes and space is limited.

And as for you wishing for foreign language channels on a UK national TV network which has limited space and money you can go and buy into other service which has those types of channels or go to those counties were the language you wish to hear.
    We already have a few news channels which put out news from a point of view of the country they come from like RT and there is the EPG Internet linked channels that are from other places in the world.
  • Options
    tvmad-alantvmad-alan Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sad news to the Com 8 mux is not going to be in all of the UK so now we have a Freeview shames list growing.....
    1) Sad that some areas of the UK has "Freeview Lite" which means that they only get three muxes .
    2) Relays were not all ups dated to give at least all 6 muxes so we got above.
    3) Not all got a local mux .
    4) Local mux are put on low power and limited area is transmitted in same area as main muxes are.
    5) Com 7 & 8 are given a limited lifespan of 5 years.
    6) now Com 8 limited employment in the UK
  • Options
    jasonjimbobjasonjimbob Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to see BBC World News, (carried on Astra 1 and Hotbird,) Press TV (I doubt they would be allowed to broadcast though thanks to Ofcom banning them), Eurosport International (Not the British version.) Watch, I24 news English, CCTV 9 Documentaries and RT Documentaries.
  • Options
    tompaynetompayne Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    I would like to see BBC World News, (carried on Astra 1 and Hotbird,) Press TV (I doubt they would be allowed to broadcast though thanks to Ofcom banning them), Eurosport International (Not the British version.) Watch, I24 news English, CCTV 9 Documentaries and RT Documentaries.

BBC Persian and BBC Arabic would be interesting too but I am sure they will never be allowed to broadcast in the UK even though they are available online.
  • Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,246
    Forum Member
    Is there any reason why RT HD can't be shown on Freeview, since it's already available on Freesat?

I also think Sky News HD would be a good move by Sky since they could use it to advertise their other HD services.
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ntscuser wrote: »
    Is there any reason why RT HD can't be shown on Freeview, since it's already available on Freesat?

I also think Sky News HD would be a good move by Sky since they could use it to advertise their other HD services.
    Sky stupidly think that you should pay to watch news in HD, but they are the ones who will just be left behind in the end.

I'd like to see RT in HD on Freeview as well. I still think the HD news channels should be in the News genre though.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tvmad-alan wrote: »
    The Sad news to the Com 8 mux is not going to be in all of the UK so now we have a Freeview shames list growing.....
    1) Sad that some areas of the UK has "Freeview Lite" which means that they only get three muxes .
    2) Relays were not all ups dated to give at least all 6 muxes so we got above.
    3) Not all got a local mux .
    4) Local mux are put on low power and limited area is transmitted in same area as main muxes are.
    5) Com 7 & 8 are given a limited lifespan of 5 years.
    6) now Com 8 limited employment in the UK

But. The commercial broadcasters could not afford the costs of the extra thousand transmitter sites needed to give 6 muxes ... And the frequency plan resulting would not have met the government economic criteria,
    So if there had been universal 6 muxes I doubt if DTT would be a platform in the UK ...

Local muxes are just that local... And there can be many local services off the one PSB transmitter mast ...... But some can say that local TV by emission is not a good financial case .....

But when com 7 and8 close there is DSO 2 which the current government want to be a move to DVB T2 emission only and all PSBs only in HD. At the same time as the frequency replan,
    So that would be a good move ....
  • Options
    westonewestone Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    It wont matter what is on Com 8 or 7 for that matter as we cant get it from our transmitter. 6 mux's only and it is called a full freeview transmitter. So a load of shopping channels will be fine on Com 8.