Has a gay actor ever played a straight character?

Comments

• saladcreamsaladcream Posts: 751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sunny day wrote: »
    Does it make any difference anyway ? they are actors straight or gay....

bore off
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    Why was being Gay once illegal:confused:... Were people once really once that dumb

Being gay is sadly STILL illegal in a lot of countries. Educate yourself.
  • soapfan2005soapfan2005 Posts: 751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kevin Spacey, all the roles I've seen him in have been straight roles, and Tom Cruise. And John Travolta (even though he crossed dressed in Hairspray, the role was still a straight one!)

Luke Evans and Richard Armitage both mainly play straight roles
  • LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    And John Mahoney, who played Frasier and Niles' Dad, is also said to be gay, although he has never commented publicly about his private life.

Oh bugger you beat me to it lol.. I was going to say Frasiers dad :D In todays episode he had to pretend to be gay and Niles was his bf :D
  • OminousGloryOminousGlory Posts: 5,019
    Forum Member
    Isn't Jeremy Sheffield who plays Patrick in Hollyoaks gay in real life?
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes John Savident is openly gay... He got stabbed in the throat when he bought a younger man back to his flat for sex... Round the time of the 40th anniversary
    Do his Wife and children know ?
    Why was being Gay once illegal:confused:... Were people once really once that dumb
    dee123 wrote: »
    Being gay is sadly STILL illegal in a lot of countries. Educate yourself.

It has never been illegal to be homosexual.
  • soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »

yes it was
  • radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BadRomance wrote: »
    Tim Campbell played Dan Baker on H&A. Likewise, Ben Unwin who played Jesse was gay.

Ironically h&a is the worst soap at showing gay people, i hate it for that reason.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    soap-lea wrote: »
    yes it was

When ?
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Declan bennett who plays Charlie Cotton is gay

I didn't know that, not that it makes any difference
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,249
    Forum Member

It has been illegal to commit a homosexual act. You could be homosexual and celibate so nobody could prove your persuasion.
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,249
    Forum Member
    When ?

From some point in the Victorian era (not sure of exact date but Oscar Wilde was tried and imprisoned for it) until 1967

ETA - Look up 'Sexual Offences Act of 1967' for more details.
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, no-one cared in ancient Rome or Greece regarding sexuality. Proves are more wise we have meant to have got over time, the more closed minded we became.
  • B*witchedB*witched Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    To the OP though, Pat McDonald who played Fiona Thompson in sons and daughters was also either lesbian or bi-sexual. I'm not sure which but she was certainly involved in a same sex relationship with another actress for the last 20 years of her life.

Yes, she and another Australian actress, Bunny Brooke apparently lived together for many years in a lesbian relationship, but were always portayed in the media as good friends who shared a home.
  • B*witchedB*witched Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    BadRomance wrote: »
    Tim Campbell played Dan Baker on H&A. Likewise, Ben Unwin who played Jesse was gay.

I found out about Tim Campbell and was quite surprised but Ben Unwin too? Jesse was hot! There've been rumours about Ryan Kwanten who played Vinnie on H&A but unsubstantiated as far as I know.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes John Savident is openly gay... He got stabbed in the throat when he bought a younger man back to his flat for sex... Round the time of the 40th anniversary

JS was a regular in the bars in Compton Street in the 90s
  • NefersitraNefersitra Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikebuk wrote: »
    Yep, no-one cared in ancient Rome or Greece regarding sexuality. Proves are more wise we have meant to have got over time, the more closed minded we became.

Actually, that's not necessarily true.

The Papyrus of Ani is a copy of the Ancient Egyptian book of the dead from 1250BC - it famously has a Negative Confession of 42 sins Ani has not committed; the 11th is "I have not committed adultery, nor have I lain with men."

Also the world views of Ancient Greece and Rome are very different to the way we see things now; they tended not to regard sexuality as to do with gender as much as whether a man was penetrated/effeminate or the penetrator/male.

Judeo-Christian religions all share the idea that the homosexual act is wrong, most of the West formed their laws based on the teachings of the Christian Church and so carried over the ideas about homosexuality.
  • Belpry_1Belpry_1 Posts: 3,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charlie Cotton on Eastenders is gay playing straight & Yasmeen Nasir on Corrie is.
  • Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Antony Cotton is gay in real life
  • MelSingletonMelSingleton Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many places in the Middle East, Africa, south east Asia, still regard homosexual activity as against the law. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_by_country_or_territory

In the UK, England and Wales repealed the law against homosexual acts in 1967 but still with discriminatory provisos. Scotland and Northern Ireland repealed the laws much later, in the early 1980s. From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_the_United_Kingdom#Decriminalisation_of_homosexual_acts
    In 1965, Lord Arran proposed the decriminalisation of male homosexual acts (lesbian acts had never been illegal) in the House of Lords. This was followed by Humphry Berkeley in the House of Commons a year later, though Berkely ascribed his defeat in the 1966 general election to the unpopularity of this action. However, during in the newly elected Parliament, Labour MP Leo Abse took up the issue and the Sexual Offences Bill was put before Parliament in order to implement some of the Wolfenden Committee's recommendations after almost ten years of campaigning.

The Sexual Offences Act 1967 was accordingly passed and received Royal Assent on 27 July 1967 after an intense late night debate in the House of Commons. It maintained general prohibitions on buggery and indecency between men, but provided for a limited decriminalisation of homosexual acts where three conditions were fulfilled: 1) the act had to be consensual, 2) the act had to take place in private and 3) the act could involve only people that had attained the age of 21. This was a higher age of consent than that for heterosexual acts, which was set at 16. Further, "in private" limited participation in an act to two people. This condition was interpreted strictly by the courts, which took it to exclude acts taking place in a room in a hotel, for example, and in private homes where a third person was present (even if that person was in a different room). These restrictions were overturned in the European Court of Human Rights in 2000.[9]

The 1967 Act extended only to England and Wales. Organisations such as the Campaign for Homosexual Equality and the Gay Liberation Front therefore continued to campaign for the goal of full equality in Scotland and Northern Ireland where all homosexual behaviour remained illegal. Same-sex sexual activities were legalised in Scotland on the same basis as in the 1967 Act, by section 80 of the Criminal Justice (Scotland) Act 1980, which came into force on 1 February 1981. An analogous amendment was also made to the law of Northern Ireland, following the determination of a case by the European Court of Human Rights (see Dudgeon v. United Kingdom); the relevant legislation was an Order in Council, the Homosexual Offences (Northern Ireland) Order 1982,[12] which came into force on 8 December 1982.
  • tellymadmantellymadman Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    Antony Cotton is gay in real life

Bloody hell. I did not know that. Learn something new everyday ;)
  • Shane ParrishShane Parrish Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray Meagher who plays Alf in Home and Away is gay
  • Nobby BurtonNobby Burton Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *double Post
  • Nobby BurtonNobby Burton Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray Meagher who plays Alf in Home and Away is gay

He's married to a woman
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LaineyT wrote: »
    Oh bugger you beat me to it lol.. I was going to say Frasier's dad :D In todays episode he had to pretend to be gay and Niles was his bf :D

There gay rumours about John Mahoney in the 1990's....single actor of a certain age, no kids or ex wife.

Time Out Magazine 2008

In everything I’ve read about you, I haven’t seen any mention of a partner or a romantic life. John Mahoney: Yeah, it doesn’t exist for me anymore. [Laughs] I think that’s dead and buried. Twenty-three years ago (1995) I had cancer of the colon. I had to have major surgery, and I have a colostomy. I really couldn’t have sex after that. I’m very happy by myself and with my friends, but no, I’m definitely not involved with anybody. Nor do I ever look to be.

http://www.timeout.com/chicago/theater/john-mahoney-interview