Options

The Pacific (Merged)

DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
Forum Member
anyone who loved Band of Brothers will look forward to this, 2nd trailer looks amazing. :cool:

http://www.pacificfans.com/trailer-videos

Comments

• Options
    tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    Been looking forward to this for months, has it got a transmission date yet?.
  • Options
    fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.sneakpeek.ca/2009/12/pacific-rolls-out-march-14-2010.html

March 14th, on HBO in the States. The UK get it via Sky Movies in the `spring' (April/May).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's half as good as Band of Brothers then it will be amazing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't even allow myself to watch the trailer.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fluffed wrote: »
    http://www.sneakpeek.ca/2009/12/pacific-rolls-out-march-14-2010.html

March 14th, on HBO in the States. The UK get it via Sky Movies in the `spring' (April/May).

Sky have already said it will be shown without commercial breaks (technically it is a mini-series).
  • Options
    fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given the premium you pay for the movie channels, if I was a subscriber I'd be pretty miffed if they even thought about putting adverts in.

The trailer is more a teaser, doesn't show you anything much. There is a making of on the 7th March on HBO though, and they're reshowing Band of Brothers starting next week.
  • Options
    poppycodpoppycod Posts: 1,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyone who loved Band of Brothers will look forward to this, 2nd trailer looks amazing. :cool:

http://www.pacificfans.com/trailer-videos

really getting excited about this.

I wish we had a British version of HBO over here that can do compelling and powerful drama with a grand budget to boot.
  • Options
    tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    poppycod wrote: »
    I wish we had a British version of HBO over here that can do compelling and powerful drama with a grand budget to boot.
    Isn't that what the BBC is for?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just noticed that TCM is showing Band of Brothers again starting tomorrow night at 9 pm. Highly recommended if you haven't seen it, landmark TV:D
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    No doubt The Pacific is going to get only a small fraction of the viewers that Band Of Brothers got in the UK, and not just because a lot fewer Brits watch Sky Movies compared to the BBC. Many Brits just aren't all that interested in the part of World War II that had nothing to do with Hitler and the Germans. Nevertheless, SOME Brits are going to watch, and some of those people as well as many who won't bother watching at all will complain that The Pacific is just another example of "the Yanks pretending they won World War II all by themselves!" Only problem is the Americans really DID win the Pacific half of World War II all by themselves.:D

Europeans often don't understand that Americans have a very different view of World War II than they do because the attack on Pearl Harbor had nothing to do with Nazi Germany and only 40% of US casualties in WWII were suffered in the fight against Hitler. The Japanese were responsible for 60% of US World War II casualties. It has also been noted by many scholars in America that if Germany had not already been defeated by the time America's nuclear bombs were ready to be used America would never have contemplated using the bombs on Germans. Only the Japanese were hated enough to be thought to deserve the Hell-on-earth the nuclear bombs would unleash.
  • Options
    Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    MoreTears wrote: »
    No doubt The Pacific is going to get only a small fraction of the viewers that Band Of Brothers got in the UK, and not just because a lot fewer Brits watch Sky Movies compared to the BBC. Many Brits just aren't all that interested in the part of World War II that had nothing to do with Hitler and the Germans. Nevertheless, SOME Brits are going to watch, and some of those people as well as many who won't bother watching at all will complain that The Pacific is just another example of "the Yanks pretending they won World War II all by themselves!" Only problem is the Americans really DID win the Pacific half of World War II all by themselves.:D

Europeans often don't understand that Americans have a very different view of World War II than they do because the attack on Pearl Harbor had nothing to do with Nazi Germany and only 40% of US casualties in WWII were suffered in the fight against Hitler. The Japanese were responsible for 60% of US World War II casualties. It has also been noted by many scholars in America that if Germany had not already been defeated by the time America's nuclear bombs were ready to be used America would never have contemplated using the bombs on Germans. Only the Japanese were hated enough to be thought to deserve the Hell-on-earth the nuclear bombs would unleash.

Not really fair on the thousands of commonwealth and non American soldiers who lost their lives in battle especially in the Burma campaign or in the Japanese prisoner camps.

Hitler was definately planning to nuke the US though. Truman might have had to rethink his position.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    Not really fair on the thousands of commonwealth and non American soldiers who lost their lives in battle especially in the Burma campaign or in the Japanese prisoner camps.

I chose my words carefully. I didn't say non-Americans didn't fight the Japanese, or get killed by them. The actual DEFEAT of the Japanese -- that really was an America-only affair. The US actually asked the Soviets for help against the Japanese, but of course Stalin couldn't have cared less about the Pacific war.
    Hitler was definately planning to nuke the US though.

Hitler dreamed a lot of things that weren't realistic. The Nazis didn't have "nukes," nor a way of delivering even conventional bombs against targets in America.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I chose my words carefully. I didn't say non-Americans didn't fight the Japanese, or get killed by them. The actual DEFEAT of the Japanese -- that really was an America-only affair. The US actually asked the Soviets for help against the Japanese, but of course Stalin couldn't have cared less about the Pacific war.

Hitler dreamed a lot of things that weren't realistic. The Nazis didn't have "nukes," nor a way of delivering even conventional bombs against targets in America.

I think The Japanese sent some explosive-filled balloons over the Pacific, technically attacking California. Not much came of it but it got people worried.

But then the Japanese hadn't thought much of Americans since their 19th century gunboat diplomacy, they were probably bound to have a go at them sooner or later. So that's another perspective. I wonder what Japanese WWII films are like?
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bean999 wrote: »
    I think The Japanese sent some explosive-filled balloons over the Pacific, technically attacking California. Not much came of it but it got people worried.

I'm sure the only homeland US civilian casualties of WW2 were caused by one of those balloons. Was 3 or 4 people. Can't remember exactly so would have to look it up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    tiger2000 wrote: »

One would have thought so . . but with the TV POll tax they can get way with crap like SCD, Eastenders, etc
  • Options
    Weigh-ManWeigh-Man Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spragger wrote: »
    One would have thought so . . but with the TV POll tax they can get way with crap like SCD, Eastenders, etc

I assume you didn't know that Band of Brothers was an HBO/BBC production then. Filmed largely in Britain.
  • Options
    joebloggs90joebloggs90 Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know if "Band of Brothers" is going to be shown on UK TV anytime soon?
    I've heard so much good about but never seen it, and I'd like to see it before "The Pacific" comes on.
  • Options
    CraigCraig Posts: 2,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if "Band of Brothers" is going to be shown on UK TV anytime soon?
    I've heard so much good about but never seen it, and I'd like to see it before "The Pacific" comes on.

It's being shown on TCM at the moment, every Sunday and repeated Wednesday. Episodes 3 and 4 are repeated tomorrow from 21:00.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    tiger2000 wrote: »

Uunfortunately not, for starters the BBC doesn't have anything like the budget that HBO does. The pilot episode for the upcoming "Boardwalk Empire" cost $35 million and had Martin Scorsese as director. Also I could never imagine the BBC producing a series such as Generation Kill which was highly critical of the US military, there would be outrage if they done a show like that about "our boys".

I'd be amazed if "The Pacific" was shown on Sky Movies with adverts as none of there movies are and as it's HBO it will be broadcast in the US without adverts too.

What with "The Pacific" "Treme" and "Boardwalk Empire" all due this year HBO are really spoiling us and will hopefully fill the massive void left since "The Sopranos" and "The Wire" finished.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Really cannot wait for this, I've watched BoB atleast 20 times over. It's just at shame im gonna have to find torrents or something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure the only homeland US civilian casualties of WW2 were caused by one of those balloons. Was 3 or 4 people. Can't remember exactly so would have to look it up.

You seem to have forgotten the people who died in the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour - Hawaii is in the homeland surely as a US state
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Really cannot wait for this, I've watched BoB atleast 20 times over. It's just at shame im gonna have to find torrents or something.

It's only about £10 on DVD!!! Go and ruddy buy it! :D
    ftv wrote: »
    You seem to have forgotten the people who died in the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour - Hawaii is in the homeland surely as a US state

can we keep on topic pls...? :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Pacific is a co-production with Channel 7 Australia who will be showing it in March
  • Options
    Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member

I know mate. Thought I wouldn't disappoint you by being outraged :D

Nope, the heroes of the Telemark put an end to any German nuclear capability.
  • Options
    LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait until Easter for this. May even get Sky HD because of it.