Options

The David Bowie Thread

123457»

Comments

• Options
    xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    It was a big shock when Bowie went public and admitted he
    was bisexual, but by then his lyrics were full of gay innuendo anyway.
    The 60s had been very macho and straight... the Beatles, the Stones etc.
    The 70s became glam and disco, gay clubs became hip... lots of guys were wearing makeup
    .... does nt know if you re a boy or a girl....

Maybe it was the androginous 70s that inspired Bowies greatest songs.... ?

Fashion.. a great song ? better than ashes to ashes ?
    no way Hose
  • Options
    SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    BigBoyUK69 wrote: »
    Has anyone been to the V&A Bowie show. I read a review yesterday which I can't find now and it said there were lots of mistakes

Have tickets for 11 August. Somewhat excited.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Turn and Face the Strange....

I will be recording this too.

Anyway as in the last week I did this rate & favourite album tracks for Paul MCartney's Post Beatles studio albums I'll repeat it for the greatest solo artist of all time IMHO:

David Bowie (1967) 4/10 - When I Live My Dream, Silly Boy Blue
    Space Oddity (1969) 7/10 - Letter to Hermione, Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud, Space Oddity, Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed
    The Man Who Sold the World (1970) 7/10 - The Man Who Sold the World, All The Madmen, Width Of A Circle, Black Country Rock
    Hunky Dory (1971) 10/10 - Life on Mars?, Changes, Queen Bitch, Quicksand, The Bewlay Brothers, Oh! You Pretty Things, Andy Warhol
    The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars (1972) 10/10 - Moonage Daydream, Starman, Five Years, Ziggy Stardust, Rock 'n' Roll Suicide, Suffragette City, Lady Stardust
    Aladdin Sane (1973) 9/10 - Drive-In Saturday, Time, Lady Grinning Soul, The Jean Genie, Cracked Actor, Aladdin Sane, Panic In Detroit
    Pin Ups (1973) 5/10 - Sorrow, See Emily Play
    Diamond Dogs (1974) 8/10 - Sweet Thing/Candidate/Sweet Thing (Reprise), 1984, Big Brother, We Are The Dead, Rock 'n' Roll With Me
    Young Americans (1975) 8/10 - Somebody Up There Likes Me, Win, Can You Hear Me, Fame, Young Americans
    Station To Station (1976) 10/10 - Station To Station, Wild Is The Wind, Word On A Wing, Stay, Golden Years
    Low (1977) 10/10 - Warszawa, Be My Wife, Art Decade, Always Crashing The Same Car, Sound & Vision, Speed Of Life
    "Heroes" (1977) 8/10 - "Heroes", Sons of the Silent Age, The Secret Life of Arabia, V-2 Schneider, Beauty & The Beast
    Lodger (1979) 6/10 - Fantastic Voyage, Look Back in Anger, Boys Keep Swinging, D.J.
    Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps) (1980) 9/10 - Ashes To Ashes, It's No Game (Part 1), Teenage Wildlife, Up The Hill Backwards, Scary Monsters (& Super Creeps), Fashion
    Let's Dance (1983) 6/10 - China Girl, Let's Dance, Modern Love, Without You
    Tonight (1984) 2/10 - Blue Jean, Loving The Alien
    Never Let Me Down (1987) 4/10 - Never Let Me Down, Zeroes, Time Will Crawl
    Tin Machine (1989) 7/10 - Crack City, Amazing, Under The God, Prisoner Of Love
    Tin Machine II (1991) 3/10 - Amlapura, Shopping For Girls
    Black Tie White Noise (1993) 5/10 - Jump They Say, Don't Let Me Down & Down, Pallas Athena
    The Buddha of Suburbia (1993) 8/10 - Sex and the Church, Strangers When We Meet, Buddha Of Suburbia, Bleed Like a Craze Dad, Untitled no. 1
    1.Outside (1995) 6/10 - Outside, The Hearts Filthy Lesson, We Prick You, Hallo Spaceboy
    Earthling (1997) 5/10 - I'm Afraid of Americans, Seven Years In Tibet, Little Wonder
    'Hours...' (1999) 5/10 - Thursday's Child, The Pretty Things Are Going to Hell, What's Really Happening?
    Heathen (2002) 8/10 - Everyone Says "Hi", Slip Away, Heathen (The Rays), Sunday, A Better Future
    Reality (2003) 7/10 - Bring Me the Disco King, Never Get Old, New Killer Star, Reality, The Loneliest Guy

I can't help feeling having watched the recent Diamond Jubilee concert helps to prove retiring (as Bowie did the best part of a decade ago) rather than undermine your own legacy with sub standard performances in your old age (step forward Cliff Richard, Paul McCartney, Elton John & to a lesser extend Stevie Wonder) is the right decision to make for veteran performers.

Would have to give Diamond Dogs and Heroes a "10"
  • Options
    xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    I have a suspicion that Bowie is very anti monarchy and anti British Establishment and Tradition.
    Why else would be refuse a Knighthood............ twice !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone know what's considered his best live performance with Mick Ronson?

Central Hall Chatham was pretty awesome in May 73 - my first ever gig:D:cool:
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    It was a big shock when Bowie went public and admitted he
    was bisexual,

well he didn't 'admit' it, he just claimed to be it.... and wasnt telling the truth as we've found out since. Like much of Bowie's career, it was just a fashionable pose.
  • Options
    BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    well he didn't 'admit' it, he just claimed to be it.... and wasnt telling the truth as we've found out since. Like much of Bowie's career, it was just a fashionable pose.

I think he was bisexual back in the 70s but has been straight since then.
  • Options
    SILLY SUESILLY SUE Posts: 5,499
    Forum Member
    The Next Day is certaintly up there with his best too..

Love this album. He's just too good! :D:D
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Bathsheba wrote: »
    I think he was bisexual back in the 70s but has been straight since then.

No he wasn't. His then wife Angie is though.
  • Options
    Judas82Judas82 Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    I went to his exhibition ; David Bowie Is at V & A at London. Always been a fan but after this took it to the next level for me. Living Legend. That is all !
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd give Hours 8 and Diamond Dogs 2. I always thought that was a pitifully weak album.
  • Options
    BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »
    No he wasn't. His then wife Angie is though.

All the books I've read said he had an affair with Lindsay Kemp (male mime artist).
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Bathsheba wrote: »
    All the books I've read said he had an affair with Lindsay Kemp (male mime artist).

Did he? In that case, I stand corrected. I thought he just worked with him.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's released another video from The Next Day - I'm sure the bloke has got a portrait in the attic

http://youtu.be/S4R8HTIgHUU
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    He's released another video from The Next Day - I'm sure the bloke has got a portrait in the attic

http://youtu.be/S4R8HTIgHUU

:) He looks really good in it. Valentine's Day is one of my favourite tracks from The Next Day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :) He looks really good in it. Valentine's Day is one of my favourite tracks from The Next Day.

He's looking really good considering all the health rumours that have gone about
  • Options
    monochrome headmonochrome head Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Considering a trip to London for the V and A exhibition before it finishes on the 11th of August.

Has anyone been? Is it worth it? And most crucially, can I turn up on the day and get a ticket? Website seems to indicate that you can do this if you turn up first thing.
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    Considering a trip to London for the V and A exhibition before it finishes on the 11th of August.

Has anyone been? Is it worth it? And most crucially, can I turn up on the day and get a ticket? Website seems to indicate that you can do this if you turn up first thing.

I went to the exhibition on Monday. It is worth every penny! The whole thing was outstanding and very well put together. I had goosebumps throughout the whole thing.

Re tickets, me and my Dad turned up at the V&A just after half past eight on Monday morning and there were about six people waiting outside. By half past nine there must've been at least 200 people behind us in the queue. You'll definitely get a ticket if you get there early enough. They release 500 tickets every day so you should have a good chance of getting one. The ticket prices are very reasonable, cost me £9 as I'm a student :p and it cost my Dad £14.

So my advice is to go as soon as possible, but go VERY early! :)
  • Options
    monochrome headmonochrome head Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    I went to the exhibition on Monday. It is worth every penny! The whole thing was outstanding and very well put together. I had goosebumps throughout the whole thing.

Re tickets, me and my Dad turned up at the V&A just after half past eight on Monday morning and there were about six people waiting outside. By half past nine there must've been at least 200 people behind us in the queue. You'll definitely get a ticket if you get there early enough. They release 500 tickets every day so you should have a good chance of getting one. The ticket prices are very reasonable, cost me £9 as I'm a student :p and it cost my Dad £14.

So my advice is to go as soon as possible, but go VERY early! :)

Hey thanks very much. I have just noticed that they are showing the exhibition nationwide via cinema shortly after it finishes, wonder if that would be sufficient instead of travelling from the north?! Been meaning to visit London for a couple of days anyway, but obviously it will all be quite last minute now.
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    Hey thanks very much. I have just noticed that they are showing the exhibition nationwide via cinema shortly after it finishes, wonder if that would be sufficient instead of travelling from the north?! Been meaning to visit London for a couple of days anyway, but obviously it will all be quite last minute now.

No problem, I come from the North East so we made the long journey down to London. The train tickets were expensive unfortunately but the exhibition made up it.

I saw that it will be shown in cinemas but I think that will take a lot of the onus away from the exhibition. To see his handwritten lyrics and random objects like his coke spoon up close blew me away.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Satnavvy wrote: »
    Would have to give Diamond Dogs and Heroes a "10"
    Interesting. You've listed what I consider to be three of the weakest tracks on Hours. I could never get into Diamond Dogs and still can't - no real tunes.
  • Options
    Rae_AmuryRae_Amury Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Next Day is amazing.

As if you would know... maybe he just experimented.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see he's been nominated for a few Q Awards be interesting to see how he gets on

http://www.qthemusic.com/qawards2013/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also been nominated for the Mercury Award - well done