Options

Do you think Leona topped the vote every week?

WeeblesWobbleWeeblesWobble Posts: 1,255
Forum Member
✭✭✭
With the exception of maybe week 1, I think she probably did.

Comments

• Options
    JanetDevlinUKJanetDevlinUK Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she must have won most weeks I did hear awhile ago Ben was supposed to have won the first week then Leona every other week
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,129
    Forum Member
    There's a video somewhere on YouTube which shows some backstage footage of the quarter final (the week Barry Manilow was on) it says Leona won the vote that night. I reckon Ben won the first two weeks and then Leona every other week, possibly with Ray winning a couple in the middle of the series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure. Simon promoted Leona every week like Tulisa did Little Mix - pleading for votes, saying girls don't normally vote for girls but Leona is different etc. There was an air of ... desperation, almost. 'Please vote for this girl'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=bXNmIjjZfcc&NR=1

4.30 on
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    Not sure. Simon promoted Leona every week like Tulisa did Little Mix - pleading for votes, saying girls don't normally vote for girls but Leona is different etc. There was an air of ... desperation, almost. 'Please vote for this girl'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=bXNmIjjZfcc&NR=1

4.30 on

Lol ironically Cannonball is playing in the background :D

I reckon she pretty much owned the vote after she performed Summertime.
  • Options
    Abigail88Abigail88 Posts: 4,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really dont think she topped the vote every week. The Daily Star reported that The Macdonald Brothers topped a vote at about week 7/8 and I wouldn't be surprised with all of the bashing from Simon. A lot of people just straight away disregard the voting leaks in the Daily Star; but this year they were right once again after many people rubbished them.

Leona only won with 60% which isn't that great when compared to someone with Ray. I reckon Ben, Leona, MacDonald Brothers, maybe Ray (but I think he was second a lot) topped the vote.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    Abigail88 wrote: »
    Really dont think she topped the vote every week. The Daily Star reported that The Macdonald Brothers topped a vote at about week 7/8 and I wouldn't be surprised with all of the bashing from Simon. A lot of people just straight away disregard the voting leaks in the Daily Star; but this year they were right once again after many people rubbished them.

Leona only won with 60% which isn't that great when compared to someone with Ray. I reckon Ben, Leona, MacDonald Brothers, maybe Ray (but I think he was second a lot) topped the vote.

I have always wondered why we were never told the voting each week, and I have always felt it was due to the fact that Leona did not top the votes every week. I do not think for one moment she did a Matt and ran away with it from week 2 onwards, but that is just my opinion. I think the Daily Star have proved to be pretty spot on for a couple of years and they could have been back then as well.
  • Options
    Black DaggerBlack Dagger Posts: 15,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd imagine Ben topped a good 2/3 times... Leona the most... Ray once.
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure Simon said Leona was the underdog in the Final so maybe Ray won the semi-final:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd imagine Ben topped a good 2/3 times... Leona the most... Ray once.

The McDonald brothers are supposed to have also topped it which would not surprise me in the least.
  • Options
    TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    Didn't Ray win the semi final?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tyjet wrote: »
    Didn't Ray win the semi final?

When you say win it, what do you mean, he was in it and came 2nd, yes but not sure I get you, unless you mean he topped the voting at that point?

Lovely lad as well.
  • Options
    TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    When you say win it, what do you mean, he was in it and came 2nd, yes but not sure I get you, unless you mean he topped the voting at that point?

Lovely lad as well.

Obviously I meant top the vote that night since, you know, Leona actually won, not Ray.
  • Options
    stargirl1stargirl1 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member
    I have always wondered why we were never told the voting each week, and I have always felt it was due to the fact that Leona did not top the votes every week. I do not think for one moment she did a Matt and ran away with it from week 2 onwards, but that is just my opinion. I think the Daily Star have proved to be pretty spot on for a couple of years and they could have been back then as well.

They didn't start to release the voting until series 5, after all the controversy with Laura White's exit, to show that everything was above board.

It's irrelevant who won the vote each week now anyway. Leona won the final and the rest is history.
  • Options
    stargirl1stargirl1 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    I'm sure Simon said Leona was the underdog in the Final so maybe Ray won the semi-final:confused:

I think that was more down to the big Sun campaign backing Ray than actual voting figures. Leona was the bookies favourite to win.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's because they weren't contractually obliged to reveal them until XF5 onwards :)
  • Options
    mememeemememee Posts: 1,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep! Course she did! She mutilated the competition every week!
  • Options
    Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Ray probably topped the Semi-Final. I think the show and the papers made it seem so likely that he was going home that night, and then he gave a good performance and had a big emotional story.

Leona definitely didn't top every week. There's no way she topped the first week - I don't think she was extraordinarily high-profile before the live shows. Prominent, but not one of the majorly pimped contestants. (Or at least as I remember it)
  • Options
    stash22stash22 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    I dont reckon she came top every week, just going on voting figures we have for other shows/xf figure and voting trends - woman always seem to struggle a little however good they are.

The Mcdonalds got to 4th place without ever being in the bottom2 so it's a possibility they had done quite well along the way. Ray was bottom2 mid-way and we've seen in the past how somebody can get a massive surge of votes afterwards, if they are quite popular, also Sharon said he was Panto Boy and I can just imagine that provoking people into voting alot that week as has been seen when Simon gives negative comments. Ben had some really strong weeks too.

I cant see anybody else would have been likely to come top that year but I dont think it was as clear cut as just Leona the whole way through and 60-40 is good but not as high as some imagined it might be, especially considering Ray had previously been bottom2. I also trust Daily Star, they do have a good record and were once again dismissed this year but seem to have got several voting places correct.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could see her having a similar run to Alexandra - decent but middling performances early on, with the occasion top 3 place, then near the end of the competition, working her way to the top of the pack once or twice, before winning the final.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon she topped for a couple of weeks post Summertime. When it got down to the final 6/5 , I reckon she was 2nd/3rd. Semi-final + final , definetely 1st. There can't be a 20% gap in the final if you were 2nd in the voting the week before.
  • Options
    FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    I think she'd always be top 5 mostly top 3 but not always #1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon she topped for a couple of weeks post Summertime. When it got down to the final 6/5 , I reckon she was 2nd/3rd. Semi-final + final , definetely 1st. There can't be a 20% gap in the final if you were 2nd in the voting the week before.

Alex won in around a 58-42 margin after finishing second in the Semi Final, so it's hardly that out of the question... :p
  • Options
    ParnebParneb Posts: 5,676
    Forum Member
    Absolutely no idea.

Did X Factor give out the voting figures back then?
  • Options
    stash22stash22 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Kyle123 wrote: »
    I think Ray probably topped the Semi-Final. I think the show and the papers made it seem so likely that he was going home that night, and then he gave a good performance and had a big emotional story.

Leona definitely didn't top every week. There's no way she topped the first week - I don't think she was extraordinarily high-profile before the live shows. Prominent, but not one of the majorly pimped contestants. (Or at least as I remember it)[/QUOTE]

I believe that was purposely tactical from Cowell, he definitely was besotted with her from day 1 but didnt overplay it. He actually spent more time going on about Ashley(?) from what I remember he seemed to love him and was gutted when he was bottom2. Leona they made a little fuss of her audition but nothing like he did over somebody like Danyls. He built up momentem over weeks, praising more and more so people didnt feel she was forced down their throats. He made some comments about how he knew who the winner was going to be, was pretty sure but was not going to give a name. He said it quite smugly a couple of times.
    Interestingly he hasnt kept up this approach in later years, as seen wth people like Danyl and acts last year -cher, 1D when he kepted pimping them to the point of annoying people. I wonder if Leona wasnt topping the vote every year, as a result of a lowish profile and he's changed tactics since then.