Have you ever been heart broken?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Yes twice. First time when my fiance dumped me on my 21st birthday (we were too young really) and secondly when my mum died nearly 4 years ago. I got over the fiance one after about a year but my mum dying still hurts and always will.
  • ncc1701ancc1701a Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    Yes :(

That guy was everything I ever wanted and thought we were perfect together. Distance & his situation (being in the closet in a small Westcountry town) got in the way though. It took me months to get over it & I still think about him sometimes 18 months later :o

The Westcountry closet can be very isolating however you are / were not alone :)
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's just me but I think there's a universe of difference between feeling strong sadness, which as you say happens to practically everyone at some point in life for various reasons, and being utterly heartbroken.

I think they're the same. Heartbroken and strong sadness.
  • IvorChestikoffIvorChestikoff Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I think they're the same.
    ... which leads me to the belief that you can't have experienced the latter, then.
  • Ada RabbleAda Rabble Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heartbroken at 19, It was bitter with no sweet.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... which leads me to the belief that you can't have experienced the latter, then.

Well, you have your opinion.
  • westy89westy89 Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Splitting up with my first long term gf when I was I 24 after 4 years together.

And also when my godmother died a couple of years ago (I'm catholic) she was such a good and all round lovely person. She always promised me and cousin (who she was also a godparent to) that she'd would take us to disneyland since we were kids. When she died she left us some money so we could go, and we went so thank you Patricia just wish you were there with us.xx
  • TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, but then I decided I wanted to stab him. I don't know if that's better.
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes 3 times.

One was a breakup many years and more recently 2 deaths, the latest one still hurts a great deal even several months down the line.

The thing with the break up was I wouldn't have met my current partner, whom I completely adore, however at the time I couldn't imagine even functioning again, let alone getting a second chance at proper love.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not too much romantically as I always tended to be the dumper rather than the dumped. Short attention span. Etc.

Proper heartbreaks though, like when I had miscarriages and when my parents died - yes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    I was dumped a couple of times when I was younger, and at one of those times I thought I was utterly heart-broken.

However, that was nothing compared to how I felt a couple of years ago when my mentally-unwell son (he's in his 20's) was saying some absolutely awful things to me over the period of several months. Bearing in mind I'm not really that mobile, I bloody well danced around the kitchen when he started coming through it and told me he was now aware he'd been delusional. Cue lots of happy crying from the pair of us haha! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Milian wrote: »
    I was dumped a couple of times when I was younger, and at one of those times I thought I was utterly heart-broken.

However, that was nothing compared to how I felt a couple of years ago when my mentally-unwell son (he's in his 20's) was saying some absolutely awful things to me over the period of several months. Bearing in mind I'm not really that mobile, I bloody well danced around the kitchen when he started coming through it and told me he was now aware he'd been delusional. Cue lots of happy crying from the pair of us haha! :D

I love that and am genuinely really happy for you :)

Way to mend a broken heart :)
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. I never believed in such things until I split up with my boyfriend. Now, a year and a half later it still hurts everytime I think of him. I never want to fall in love again.
    Forum Member
    Yes. I never believed in such things until I split up with my boyfriend. Now, a year and a half later it still hurts everytime I think of him. I never want to fall in love again.
    :cry: I know just what you mean ...
  • C-McDermottC-McDermott Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    No.

Which is strange as I've been in a long term relationship that broke up. I became emotionally detached even to myself- it was like I was living each day as though I were a passive observer of my own actions.

The only time I've truly been heartbroken is when I'd been craving a piece of tiramisu all day at Uni and I got back to find my flatmate had eaten it.

:eek: Sociopath alert :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :eek: Sociopath alert :D

I know you're joking but I'd love to be able to conceptualise, and thus practise, impermanence.

It would be a brilliant thing for me and may others that I know.
    Forum Member
    Joni M wrote: »
    I know you're joking but I'd love to be able to conceptualise, and thus practise, impermanence.

Nah, I wouldn't bother - you weren't very happy about the impermanence of the tiramisu, after all :D
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    I wonder, but see post below.

I don't know where she is.

ETA. I have some photos and letters from her tucked away somewhere, and I don't know exactly where they are, which is probably for the best, as I would probably end up crying.

She was living in Graigwen, Pontypridd at the time.

There is one other woman from Bargoed, south Wales that I wanted to get very close to around about the same time, but again I don't know where she is or what she is doing these days.

I must be suffering from Patrick Moore syndrome.
    wikipedia wrote:
    The war had a significant influence on his life: his only romance ended when his fiancée, a nurse called Lorna, was killed by a bomb which struck her ambulance. Moore subsequently remarked that he never married because "there was no one else for me...second best is no good for me...I would have liked a wife and family, but it was not to be."[10] In his autobiography he stated that after sixty years he still thought about her, and that because of her death "if I saw the entire German nation sinking into the sea, I could be relied upon to help push it down."[11]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Moore#Early_life
  • mellybumpsmellybumps Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Yes, and it was agony. It was only slightly less bad than when my Dad died and he was my absolute hero and it was a hugely unexpected so that might give you some idea of the scale of how awful it was :cry:

Although we did get back together in the end but it took a lot of time to stop the fear of it happening again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    One relationship left me heartbroken. It was my first love and we were both 16. He had to move away to America with his dad. We both agreed that it was best to end things, rather than string it out. It was the last time I ever saw or spoke to him. I managed to get in touch with his brother a few years later and found out he had died of complications due to a brain tumour. Not one of my friends or family knew about this relationship and I never told anyone about him dying either because it was just too painful. I've been in love since and split up but nothing really compares to that first love heartbreak. It's an actual physical pain.
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »

I must be suffering from Patrick Moore syndrome.

The war had a significant influence on his life: his only romance ended when his fiancée, a nurse called Lorna, was killed by a bomb which struck her ambulance. Moore subsequently remarked that he never married because "there was no one else for me...second best is no good for me...I would have liked a wife and family, but it was not to be."[10] In his autobiography he stated that after sixty years he still thought about her, and that because of her death "if I saw the entire German nation sinking into the sea, I could be relied upon to help push it down."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Moore#Early_life

That's such a horribly sad story, and a rebuttal of those people (for whom I feel quite sorry, actually) who breezily declare that everybody will get over it in the end and that there are plenty more fish in the sea and other perhaps well-intentioned but ignorant platitudes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    Joni M wrote: »
    I love that and am genuinely really happy for you :)

Way to mend a broken heart :)

Thank you, Joni! That's lovely of you. :)

At the time, nobody knew if or when my boy would recover, or if he'd suffer for the rest of his life. I honestly thought I'd lost my son forever - almost like losing a parent to Alzheimer's, I would have thought, with a lot of aggression and hate thrown in. So anyway, that day he told me he realised he'd been unwell was one hell of a red letter day for me. He has back-slid a couple of times, but now I know he'll come through again, and I just have to bear with it and be patient. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I don't think so. Not truly heartbroken. I think I was lucky, I found the right guy early in life and we have been together 20 years.
  • QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A year on I'm still heartbroken since Mr Q passed away. There are days when I still cannot believe I'll never see him ever again. I miss talking to him, his cuddles and kisses. My best friend and soul mate is no longer around and I find it difficult. We were together for almost 19 years is hard to adjust to a single life. Even when I'm working I miss calling him to have a chat. A huge chuck of my life was with him, we went through everything together. I think he would be proud of me though, how I have tried my best and what I have done this year. I know he watches over me and protects me. I believe we will be back in each others arms once my time comes to join him.
    Forum Member
    A year on I'm still heartbroken since Mr Q passed away. There are days when I still cannot believe I'll never see him ever again. I miss talking to him, his cuddles and kisses. My best friend and soul mate is no longer around and I find it difficult. We were together for 19 years is hard to adjust to a single life. Even when I'm working I miss calling him to have a chat. A huge chuck of my life was with him, we went through everything together. I think he would be proud of me though, how I have tried my best and what I have done this year. I know he watches over me and protects me. I believe we will be back in each others arms once my time comes to join him.
    Qwerty Girl, I'm going to say something to you that I'm almost 100% certain nobody else will say.

Other people will offer their own perspectives based on entirely well-meaning, well-intentioned but in my personal view shallow and I have to say rather fatuous optimism.

I'm going to go against the grain and say that you should carefully look after and nurture your grief and desolation. You grieve because something that you lost mattered. He mattered. If he hadn't, or didn't, you wouldn't be sad. People grieve for the things they've lost that really mattered. If you're sad, something mattered.

I don't know if your grief will ever end. It's possible, but not guaranteed, that eventually your sadness will become something that you can shove around from one place to another and learn to live with more or less comfortably. This may or may not happen. If it doesn't, don't worry. That's OK too, for the reasons just given. Trust me. I live this way too, and it's OK.