Options

Poldark

Comments

• Options
    PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    Me too, but i dont like the trailers. Going off the trailers so i might be proven wrong, but this new poldark looks too perfect. Young, handsome, typical of todays world where heros have to be perfect.

Robin ellis had screen presence, gravitas, he was flawed, old enough to have experiences that ross poldark had. This, imho, made the character believable.

But back in the 70's they knew how to cast and create real characters, and not pander to modern values like perfect appearance.

I don't know, they do all look very attractive but lets give it a chance. To be fair Robin Ellis was a bit of a hearthrob in the original (he certainly wasn't unattractive) and Angharad was quite lovely, so it's certainly not unique to TV now to want to have an appealing cast.

Much as I liked the original I can see it's flaws. The set was often very stagey, and whilst I liked most the cast I remember thinking Elizabeth in particular being miscast which put me off her scenes. I loved Ralph Bates as Warleggan and (oddly) cousin Francis was another favourite character, so I'm excited to see how they are interpreted in this new version.
  • Options
    mustard99mustard99 Posts: 2,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robin Ellis and Aidan Turner are both on the One Show tomorrow.
  • Options
    andrewskatie143andrewskatie143 Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    also really looking forward to poldark and personally whilst I enjoyed the 1970s version, I never really fell in love with it. I could understand why winston graham hated the first series as for me, it seemed to sacrifice a lot of the complicated issues in the novel for simply a romantic 'pot boiler'- not sure if that makes sense;-)
    robin ellis was fantastic as ross but I thought the demelza character wasn't great. I also thought that the jill townsead's potrayal of elizabeth was bad- she seemed to be just the villiain or the hated woman but actually in the novels she was a more complicated character with more layers.

Onto the new series- I personally think it looks great. Judging from the comments from the bfi screening, it seems to have gone down very well and personally I'm hoping it does more justice to the novels. Having seen the trailers etc, I feel much better about aiden turner as poldark.

Are there any reviews out yet.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aidan Turner was also in an Irish series called The Clinic. I saw some of it on Netflix a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a short bit on BBC Breakfast this morning about Poldark with both Robin Ellis and Aidan Turner. It will probably be on again.
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too am a little worried that I'll be ahem, distracted, by the ravishing beauty of Aidan Turner. But that would be hypocritical of me really - I'm always annoyed when people hanker after actors being perfect visual matches for how they imagined someone described in a book, or when protraying someone in a biopic. I'm far more interested in someone being able to portray the spirit and character of a person than whether they're two inches too short, or their hair's the wrong colour, unless there is some critical plot point served by them being that way that can't be addressed somehow. By those standards, there's no reason Aidan can't be ridiculously handsome and do a subtle and excellent performance of Ross.

The one thing I think they may struggle to surpass is the musical score - can't they just nick it?!
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By those standards, there's no reason Aidan can't be ridiculously handsome and do a subtle and excellent performance of Ross.

The one thing I think they may struggle to surpass is the musical score - can't they just nick it?!

Probably in the minority here but I don't find him ridiculously handsome - too pointy faced for me ! Robin Ellis already good looking, just improved in the second series because they'd sorted his hair out, cut some layers through it and it made him look very handsome. The small pony tail tied with a black ribbon completed the look. As for the music, wouldn't it be wonderful if they used the same - it was lovely.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all a bit moist in this thread!
  • Options
    Mrs EyreMrs Eyre Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And likely to get moister after 8th March!
  • Options
    lindenlealindenlea Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    There was a short bit on BBC Breakfast this morning about Poldark with both Robin Ellis and Aidan Turner. It will probably be on again.

Robin, Aidan and Eleanor Tomlinson will also be on The One Show this evening.

I can only hope it won't be too inane, but shall keep my expectations low. ;-)
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Mum has all the books and watched the original series, which was before I was born. Can't seem to summon up much enthusiasm for this myself but OH thinks it sounds promising. I don't like period dramas. I like murder mysteries. I haven't read the books. Any murders in this?
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope they keep the original theme tune as it was great.

I actually thought that Jill Townsend was perfect as Elizabeth in the original series - beautiful, aloof, conflicted. I am not sure about a dark Elizabeth. Maybe she and Demelza should have switched actresses in the new version, with Demelza being dark as she is in the books and Eleanor Tomlinson could have been the blonde Elizabeth instead.

Probably better to wait and see it first though and see how they cope with the roles.

I wonder will Jim Carter II be as weedy as Jim Carter I ?? And who can forget Mark Daniel who used to be the truck driver in the Yorkie ad!!
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretzel wrote: »
    I To be fair Robin Ellis was a bit of a hearthrob in the original (he certainly wasn't unattractive) and Angharad was quite lovely, so it's certainly not unique to TV now to want to have an appealing cast.

yes, robin ellis was a hearthrob, but he wasnt a 'pretty boy', he was rugged, worn, lived in, and that added to his screen presence.

angharad reece too wasnt what passes for a 'conventional' beauty either.

but i might be jumping the gun.....
  • Options
    VicsMumVicsMum Posts: 5,666
    Forum Member
    7 pm approaching :)
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    My Mum has all the books and watched the original series, which was before I was born. Can't seem to summon up much enthusiasm for this myself but OH thinks it sounds promising. I don't like period dramas. I like murder mysteries. I haven't read the books. Any murders in this?
    Yes there is murder and also violence.

Winston Graham was a master at portraying historical facts and situations accurately and seamlessly inserting his characters into them throughout all of the series of books.
  • Options
    mustard99mustard99 Posts: 2,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robin Ellis is 73! Blimey he looks good on it.

Might have to buy me one of his cookbooks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eleanor, Aidan and Robin on The One Show's sofa:

e25095a1-daf9-4937-b82f-2509b91e97ae.jpg

They fitted them in between alpacas and hamsters. :D
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lindenlea wrote: »

Seeing Poldark in jeans is all kinds of wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I just thought what a waste, Aidan's there and they're showing alpacas and hamsters :p
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    Yes there is murder and also violence.

Winston Graham was a master at portraying historical facts and situations accurately and seamlessly inserting his characters into them throughout all of the series of books.

Oh thanks for the info. Will be watching it anyhow, as OH wants to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor Aidan … his interview on This Morning was sandwiched between Christine Hamilton and UTIs. :o

(Alpacas and hamsters win)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Poor Aidan … his interview on This Morning was sandwiched between Christine Hamilton and UTIs. :o

(Alpacas and hamsters win)

This has made me lol! :p

And apparently, Amanda got all giggly with him: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2981211/There-s-lot-talk-chest-Amanda-Holden-gets-flirty-Poldark-actor-Aidan-Turner-Morning-discuss-pecs.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A reminder … for anyone who's not a regular BBC viewer and seen a trail between every programme ;-) … Poldark starts this evening at 9pm.

I can't wait to see the first episode again and hope it comes over as well on TV as it did on the big screen.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trails and idents for this have done a bang-up job of letting me know a pretty-boy is the lead but not much else. As a result I, and I'm guessing much of the rest of the male telly-watching population, will be giving this minge-moistener a miss! :D
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope they keep the original theme tune as it was great.

I actually thought that Jill Townsend was perfect as Elizabeth in the original series - beautiful, aloof, conflicted. I am not sure about a dark Elizabeth. Maybe she and Demelza should have switched actresses in the new version, with Demelza being dark as she is in the books and Eleanor Tomlinson could have been the blonde Elizabeth instead.

Probably better to wait and see it first though and see how they cope with the roles.

I wonder will Jim Carter II be as weedy as Jim Carter I ?? And who can forget Mark Daniel who used to be the truck driver in the Yorkie ad!!

Eleanor did read for Elizabeth but asked to read for Demelza as she wanted that part.