Pointless - quiz show on BBC1 (Part 12)

Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
Forum Member
Didn't realise that traditional banoffee pie had coffee in it. Thought the "offee" referred to toffee. No wonder I don't like it - can't abide coffee.

Continuation of: Pointless - quiz show on BBC1 (Part 11)

Comments

• justannejustanne Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    Didn't realise that traditional banoffee pie had coffee in it. Thought the "offee" referred to toffee. No wonder I don't like it - can't abide coffee.

I've made my own banoffee pie, and at no point did I put in coffee. The 'offee', does refer to toffee, which is what you get when you boil the tins of condensed milk, a thick, caramelly, toffee concoction. All there is is a biscuit base (shortcrust pastry? In what universe?), then the caramel/toffee layer, then sliced bananas, then the whipped cream, then more sliced bananas (optional), and sprinkled with grated chocolate.

NO COFFEE AT ANY TIME!

http://http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/how_to_make_banoffee_pie_35961
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    justanne wrote: »
    I've made my own banoffee pie, and at no point did I put in coffee. The 'offee', does refer to toffee, which is what you get when you boil the tins of condensed milk, a thick, caramelly, toffee concoction. All there is is a biscuit base (shortcrust pastry? In what universe?), then the caramel/toffee layer, then sliced bananas, then the whipped cream, then more sliced bananas (optional), and sprinkled with grated chocolate.

NO COFFEE AT ANY TIME!

http://http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/how_to_make_banoffee_pie_35961

I've never heard of coffee in a banoffee pie either.
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now that's brilliant timing - opening a new thread for this when were about to enter a period of repeats (save the celeb editions, natch).
  • fergferg Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    The question referred to a specific (old?) recipe, I imagine that recipe includes COFFEE.

They should really change the survey software so you can't use IMDB, the single point answers but pointless 'eternal sunshine of the spotless mind', which is longer to type is suspicious.
  • davadsdavads Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    ferg wrote: »
    The question referred to a specific (old?) recipe, I imagine that recipe includes COFFEE.

They should really change the survey software so you can't use IMDB, the single point answers but pointless 'eternal sunshine of the spotless mind', which is longer to type is suspicious.

You mean people "cheat" by looking up IMDb to answer the survey questions? Why would they do that, what is there to gain?
    Forum Member
    It's easy enough to do if there isn't another invigilated step. You gain the ability to provide an answer to a question you don't already know, people just do that by instinct? And there could be a temptation to enter something obscure and know you were the one person who provided that answer?
    Forum Member
    It's easy enough to do if there isn't another invigilated step. You gain the ability to provide an answer to a question you don't already know, people just do that by instinct? And there could be a temptation to enter something obscure and know you were the one person who provided that answer?

It's a slightly contrived way of getting "15 minutes of fame", though...and arguably a little mean-spirited when all you'd achieve would be denying somebody a potential prize win.

I think if I ever did the survey I'd simply provide whatever answers came to me naturally.
    Forum Member
    It's a blind survey so the prize isn't really a consideration, it just seems a bit of a coincidence that there's always deep movie knowledge and it only takes 5 seconds to 'cheat', while something like half a picture of sylvester & tweety or mel & sue stumped 50% of participants.
    Forum Member
    It's a blind survey so the prize isn't really a consideration, it just seems a bit of a coincidence that there's always deep movie knowledge and it only takes 5 seconds to 'cheat', while something like half a picture of sylvester & tweety or mel & sue stumped 50% of participants.

I think it's just chance. No matter how left-field a contestant might think their answer to something is, all it takes is for there to be just one buff on the particular subject for them to be scuppered and get a score of 1. That's why I think there's a lot of luck in the final, because you never know the makeup of the 100 people that have been surveyed.

The Mel and Sue thing I can believe, because there will be a lot of people who might have heard their names but wouldn't be able to put a face to them.
  • kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've done a few of the 'Pointless' surveys. I can see why people would be tempted to use Google, because you might not know a single answer and so you just want to type in something. Or maybe they think they'll be screened out or not invited for more surveys if they leave the answers blank (meaning they don't get paid). Although you are advised to guess if you don't know the answer, which is what I always do.
    Forum Member
    kryskrys wrote: »
    I've done a few of the 'Pointless' surveys. I can see why people would be tempted to use Google, because you might not know a single answer and so you just want to type in something. Or maybe they think they'll be screened out or not invited for more surveys if they leave the answers blank (meaning they don't get paid). Although you are advised to guess if you don't know the answer, which is what I always do.

Do you have to be signed up to a certain survey company to get asked to do them?
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member

http://www.hungrymonk.co.uk/banoffi_pie/

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/529560/coffee-banoffee-pie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banoffee_pie

http://iandowding.co.uk/banoffi-pie-the-original-recipe

and loads of others all with coffee.

Still don't like it - cooked bananas! Yuk!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davads wrote: »
    The Mel and Sue thing I can believe, because there will be a lot of people who might have heard their names but wouldn't be able to put a face to them.

Or, if they had to supply surnames, would have no idea how to spell "Giedroyc" (and I had to google it myself).
  • kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davads wrote: »
    Do you have to be signed up to a certain survey company to get asked to do them?

Yeah you get them if you sign up to Crowdology: http://www.crowdology.co.uk/
    Forum Member
    kryskrys wrote: »
    Yeah you get them if you sign up to Crowdology: http://www.crowdology.co.uk/

Ooh, thanks, I might do that :)
  • GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio Times is listing Pointless as NOT being a repeat on 4th May. Same for Digiguide too.
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    So glad Liz and Becca were only on for one programme. Wouldn't have minded if they'd won the jackpot because then they'd still only be on for one show. I found them annoying because I like people to just be quiet and answer the questions. Doesn't mean they can't have a personality, just not be so very extrovert.
  • the_unrepentantthe_unrepentant Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    So what would have happened today if anyone would have picked Paul McCartney for playing bass and said "Wings"? That would have been a correct answer....
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it me, but was it rather disappointing that more people recognised the 1987 Open Champion than the current Archbishop of Canturbury as occurred a day or so ago?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what would have happened today if anyone would have picked Paul McCartney for playing bass and said "Wings"? That would have been a correct answer....

I seem to remember there was another question with two correct answers - and in that instance, they would have accepted the other correct answer. So I'm sure they would have accepted Wings.
  • chipsauntchipsaunt Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Nobel Peace prize question was shown again today. I said Joseph Rotblat (who was a friend of a Physics Professor I used to know who was a member of Pugwash, an organisation which shared the 1995 Peace Prize with Rotblat). I also said Friends Service Council and American Friends Service Committee, who shared the prize in 1947.
    Neither was mentioned by Richard as a pointless answer but how many other Quakers in the 100 people asked would know those 2?
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,668
    Forum Member
    Afternoon all, anyone in for this?
  • bluefbbluefb Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's like a who's who of smarmy egotists. Anyone playing?
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Afternoon all, anyone in for this?
    bluefb wrote: »
    It's like a who's who of smarmy egotists. Anyone playing?

Evenin'
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,668
    Forum Member
    The Good Morning Britain presenters outside their depth here.
    Not used to over a million viewers.