TUTV CS 'helped' me to cancel contract

alboyalboy Posts: 245
Forum Member
Dragging the decision on for a year, I've finally had to say goodbye to TUTV. I spoke to the assistant (extremely helpful) who agreed with me that there was too much American content on TUTV, and wasn't suprised at my decision to leave. He explained that his seniors were aware of this situation made by other cancelations, and there were going to be big changes this year (possibly more choice in individual programs to download rather than whole channels).
However, he says that the 'new service' will be offered back to me as a trial for which my name has been entered. But until then TUTV is no more.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    It would honestly be nice to see some recent stuff from SKY1 or BRAVO. Shows like gladiators, simpsons etc. I doubt its going to happen though. These type of programmes will attract me to topuptv instead of repeats from american shows....
  • chris20chris20 Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it wold be good if top up tv could do a deal with sky a download service for sky1 and a 24 hour sky sports 1 to replace setanta for £10.99 a month that way sky would make a lot of money from the sport and top up tv would make money from sky1 it would not affect sky in any way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    chris20 wrote: »
    it wold be good if top up tv could do a deal with sky a download service for sky1 and a 24 hour sky sports 1 to replace setanta for £10.99 a month that way sky would make a lot of money from the sport and top up tv would make money from sky1 it would not affect sky in any way.

Are you kidding? Sky1 through TopUp TV? Sky Sports 1 for £10.99 per month?

Two things:

1) Sky would NEVER allow TopUp TV to gain access to their channels because of encryption issues and;

2) Sky would NEVER sell Sky Sports 1 for as little as £10.99 per month. Sky pay billions to get the live Premier League rights and they pay at least 3-4 times more than Setanta does.

Sky are all about making as much money as possible from their customers and they don't like competitors. Remember what they did to Virgin Media a few years back?
  • chris20chris20 Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sky1 downloads is no fret to sky and £10.99 for 1 channel would make sky a lot of money being available on virgin sky freeview mobile and online.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    chris20 wrote: »
    sky1 downloads is no fret to sky and £10.99 for 1 channel would make sky a lot of money being available on virgin sky freeview mobile and online.

Maybe Sky1 is no big loss to Sky but Sky Sports is Sky's crown jewels. They would not exist today without the success of Sky Sports.

Sky Sports 1 stand-alone costs £26 per month through Sky and £28 per month through Virgin Media.

Although Sky Sports 1 is £15 per month through Virgin Media but you have to take their XL TV package which costs £19.50 per month plus the phone line rental at £11 per month.

So you can see straight away that making Sky Sports 1 available at only £10.99 per month on Freeview is not cost-effective.

I think the only way that Sky would consider making Sky Sports 1 available at £10.99 a month is if they reduced the broadcasting hours like Setanta have with Setanta Sports 1 on Freeview. But even then it's a long shot as to whether the Sky executives think that this would be a good idea.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    I've also cancelled top up tv I don't watch it alot of tv at the moment and with a landy to fuel Top up had to go for the moment :(