EE Phil Mitchell too old?

Aaron_SilverAaron_Silver Posts: 32,993
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is Phil Mitchell getting too old and slow to be playing gangster? Vincent has already scored a minor victory over him. Phil's achilles heel is his family, it will be interesting to see if Vincent's is his with the gradual introduction of his family

Comments

• Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vincent should remain on top.
  • Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil is a lot more believable as a gangster than that joke played by Richard Blackwood. I don't mind someone knocking Phil down the ladder but surely there were better options than this joke of a character?
  • Aaron_SilverAaron_Silver Posts: 32,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vincent should remain on top.

To me Vincent does seem far more ruthless than Phil and that would give him the edge
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil is a lot more believable as a gangster than that joke played by Richard Blackwood. I don't mind someone knocking Phil down the ladder but surely there were better options than this joke of a character?

Vincent run's rings around him and it's good that they not making him out to be invincible On this occasion Philip is the joke but let's be honest he has been for years it only cause he cement in EE history that he given the monopoly on theses sort of storylines.

He a unfit 55 year old with a dickey heart, how long can they seriously continue playing the King Phil card, it gets old, Vincent is a breath of fresh air and I think RB done really well so far.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Has been for years. He can't run and can barely walk across a room without getting out of breath. If he had some 'boys' then he could just sit there and wheeze out orders, but he is a one man band (unless you count Billy, Jay and Ben :D). Time for a new top dog, and Vincent fits the bill.
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil is getting too old to be the thug bully but not to old to be King of the square as long as he has troops to get down and dirty for him. Phil must have contacts that would work for him to do the beatings.

Ben and Billy are just jokes and Jay is not much better.

Ronnie seems to be good at giving out orders but again there are no ground troops that are capable of following her orders.

Mark junior needs to return soon and become the aggressor to Lord Phil.
  • bass55bass55 Posts: 18,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil is still top dog because every opponent he has come up against in the last few years has been undone by their own incompetence and general stupidity.

Derek Branning; Carl White; Vincent - none of them are in the least bit threatening. Derek and Vincent in particular are laughably bad. Phil hasn't faced a genuine challenge since Johnny Allen.
  • Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    vald wrote: »
    Has been for years. He can't run and can barely walk across a room without getting out of breath. If he had some 'boys' then he could just sit there and wheeze out orders, but he is a one man band (unless you count Billy, Jay and Ben :D). Time for a new top dog, and Vincent fits the bill.

Exactly. Phil is a spent force. When confronted by Vincent Phil reported him to the police! Surely that's a huge no no! What sort of gangster runs to the police? I love Richard Blackwood's portrayal of Vincent. He's a good actor. I find him enjoyable to watch. Vincent should become the top dog of the Square. It's been a long time coming.
  • jamesc_715jamesc_715 Posts: 8,505
    Forum Member
    Phil cannot always be top dog but I'm looking forward to Vincent taking over the Square. Looks like he won't get control of The Albert entirely as Sharon probably gets half of it back. Vincent needs to own R and R. I think Richard Blackwood is one of the worst actors but I will give him a chance.

But I'm Team Phil ;)
  • Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Phil Mitchell getting too old and slow to be playing gangster? Vincent has already scored a minor victory over him. Phil's achilles heel is his family, it will be interesting to see if Vincent's is his with the gradual introduction of his family

Yes he is!

I would love for him to end up permanently paralysed and become dependant on others and bring out his nicer side... Otherwise I'd rather him get killed off in a big who killed Phil storyline. The character is so panto and is such a parody of his former glory that the character is awful and ridiculous.
  • Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_abbott wrote: »
    Phil is getting too old to be the thug bully but not to old to be King of the square as long as he has troops to get down and dirty for him. Phil must have contacts that would work for him to do the beatings.

Ben and Billy are just jokes and Jay is not much better.

Ronnie seems to be good at giving out orders but again there are no ground troops that are capable of following her orders.

Mark junior needs to return soon and become the aggressor to Lord Phil.

I wouldn't mind Ronnie being "top dog"
  • Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    Yes he is!

I would love for him to end up permanently paralysed and become dependant on others and bring out his nicer side... Otherwise I'd rather him get killed off in a big who killed Phil storyline. The character is so panto and is such a parody of his former glory that the character is awful and ridiculous.

Agreed completely :)
  • wizardtwizardt Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's only 55 so he's not that old. Phil is so tough and he is really cunning/clever. I hope Phil always be "King" of Walford. If Phil ever leaves, the show would be boring without him. And the ratings may drop if he leaves.
  • lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This whole Vincent/Ronnie/Phil stuff is silly. Far too panto. :(

Phil is never too old though. He is and always will be king of the Square. :D
  • sarah_shortsarah_short Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    King Phil will still be kicking bums when he gets his bus pass.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Phil will always be king of the square, Vincent just wouldn't look right being in control instead.

Maybe Vincent could turn it around if EastEnders are planning on introduce the rest of his family. I wouldn't mind seeing Ronnie run the square in all honestly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »
    Exactly. Phil is a spent force. When confronted by Vincent Phil reported him to the police! Surely that's a huge no no! What sort of gangster runs to the police? I love Richard Blackwood's portrayal of Vincent. He's a good actor. I find him enjoyable to watch. Vincent should become the top dog of the Square. It's been a long time coming.

He's appalling. Given he shares the eye bulging trait of Letitia Dean's that you hate so much I'm surprised you're a fan of Blackwood.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Harlowe wrote: »
    Vincent run's rings around him and it's good that they not making him out to be invincible On this occasion Philip is the joke but let's be honest he has been for years it only cause he cement in EE history that he given the monopoly on theses sort of storylines.

He a unfit 55 year old with a dickey heart, how long can they seriously continue playing the King Phil card, it gets old, Vincent is a breath of fresh air and I think RB done really well so far.

I agree it's good that Phil has been taken down a peg but I don't agree Vincent is a breath of fresh air. Richard Blackwood is completely miscast in the role. I find his attempts at being threatening and mysterious laughable but that's just me.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »

The Philth has always been a cowardly little git when confronted with someone who is not afraid of him.

Grassing up Dennis to the Firm, then getting thugs to beat up Dennis when he wanted a one on one confrontation with Mitchell in the Arches, getting Dennis to beat up Johnny etc.

Of course that is classic bully boy behaviour but as it is King Philth we are expected to applaud his thuggish cowardice.

Well not me.

As for Vincent he is fine although I think Gary Beadle could have been really wonderful in the role.

Paul was a cracking character. :)
  • Aaron_SilverAaron_Silver Posts: 32,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think without Grant, Phil is weak and will be unable to keep his grip on the square for much longer, particularly with somebody younger and seemingly equally well connected on the square. Vincent will be no push over, and Richard Blackwood who I remember from his comedian days is doing a grand job with the character.
  • paxton7paxton7 Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's not too old to be King, hes just too old to take part in one on one fights - Phil is The Don, just needs some heavies to do the dirty work for him.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree this needs to be said, some random nobody with no real back log of history taking down the boss of the square for the last 15+ years, pathetic even if you love or hate Phil.
  • paxton7paxton7 Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree this needs to be said, some random nobody with no real back log of history taking down the boss of the square for the last 15+ years, pathetic even if you love or hate Phil.

I agree. Unlike some i'm not clamouring for King Phil to be taken down - but if its got to happen the man to do it should be so much more than Vincent.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Phil was ever to leave the show he will be taken down I feel, so someone like Dan or Steve Owen would have been ideal, you see the difference to this Vincent nobody?

Oh and it should not happen ever :)
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Phil was ever to leave the show he will be taken down I feel, so someone like Dan or Steve Owen would have been ideal, you see the difference to this Vincent nobody?

Oh and it should not happen ever :)

If nothing else our posts show that people can have two totally opposing views of the same character. :D

Personally I would have had the Philth die at the end of his feud with Steve Owen - who would then have gone on to run things in Walford.

Steve had real style and class.

Unfortunately his character was severely weakened by TBTB to allow Mitchell to win (just like so many other 'hardmen' and gangsters since).