which lead do i need?

im going to connect my tv to my pc, the pc has a vga,svideo and dvi output. the tv has hdmi,component,svga and svideo.

1........which to should i connect to get the best picture?

2........if i play a hd file on the pc will i show in true hd on th tv

Comments

• meltcitymeltcity Posts: 2,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best quality would be delivered by connecting the DVI output from the PC to the HDMI input on the TV using a DVI-HDMI adaptor.

First you need to check what input resolutions are accepted over the TV's HDMI input, and whether your TV's native resolution is accepted over HDMI.

If you can't get 1:1 pixel mapping over DVI-HDMI I would consider using the VGA port instead. Even if the native resolution is not listed under the supported resolutions over VGA in the manual it's often possible to create a custom resolution in Powerstrip to get around this problem.

What TV do you have?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    sony kdl32u2000 - not got it yet, its on order
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are probably better off using a VGA cable (the 'PC Input' socket on the TV).

Your TV has a native resolution of 1366 x 768p. If you use DVI-HDMI the closest supported resolution is 1280 x 720p which the TV will have to upscale to 1366 x 768p.

The maximum supported resolution over VGA is 1280 x 768p, but using the Powerstrip utility you should be able to create a custom resolution of 1366 x 768p with 1280 x 768p timings.
  • AjayK40AjayK40 Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    I have just purchased a Sony KDL-32V2000 and want to view my digital camera jpeg images direct from the PC to the TV. I am also having trouble getting the setting correct as all images displayed on the TV are "stretched out" The TV seems to be using 1280x768. If I change the resolution on the widescreen laptop to 1280x800 (which then shows correctly on the laptop the TV gives an error message something like "invalid input type".

I am using the VGA connections on both Computer and TV.

Would appreciate any help- THANK YOU.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need to install Powerstrip and create a custom resolution of 1360 x 768 using 1280 x 768 timings.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Newby and AjayK 40,

Would you care to say why you picked the Sony 2000 as I am interested in it as well as the Panny 600 and the Tosh. 68. Sorry I am off topic.
    Forum Member
    meltcity wrote:
    You need to install Powerstrip and create a custom resolution of 1360 x 768 using 1280 x 768 timings.

Looking at the user guide for my Sony 32V2000 it only lists the resolution you suggest (1360x768) under a signal type of WXGA. I'm not very technical with this but is this compatible with the VGA cable and the type the type of signal my laptop is sending?

I have read the link about Powerstrip - is it very easy to use for a non-technical person without fear of damaging any equipment?

Just to answer Emrys question:

I purchased the Sony 32V2000 simply on the basis of price, what the picture looked like in the shop with a SKY HD demo, and sales person advice. My only criticism is the sound quality but that doesn't matter as I use a surround sound system.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the Sony accepts 1360 x 768 over VGA I don't think you will need Powerstrip as that is an almost perfect match to your TV's native resolution of 1366 x 768.
    Forum Member
    meltcity wrote:
    If the Sony accepts 1360 x 768 over VGA I don't think you will need Powerstrip as that is an almost perfect match to your TV's native resolution of 1366 x 768.

Many thanks for your help - all worked fine.