Amy is really getting on my Pond !

13»

Comments

• lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »
    That fine if she doesn't work for you she doesn't:)...I was just commenting on the main themes that the OP brought up. Persoanlly I think she is great....but sometimes some companions don't work for everyone, and their so called not so likable features annoy the hell out of people, and that the good stuff is never enough. For example as you pointed out, Rose got on some fans nerves, and they so called chavy behaviour is all that some popel can see of her, same with Martha, some poeple don't rate her due to her unrequieted love for the Doctor, and for Donna, some feel that all she does is shout or act like her characters. So in the end none of the companions are going to win everyone around....and for this time its Amy....who knows she may grow on you or she may never.....fingers crossed she does:)

Exactly, from my own personal view, I didn't take to Amy in some of the earlier episodes, but I really warmed to her in Amy's choice and she was fine IMO (as a character) in the latest one. I also realised that it would be better if they had not cut so many scenes (I personally think the scene between the Doctor and Amy was an important one for character development, however I understand that that can't be helped).

To be fair, I probably found every companion annoying from time to time and it probably comes with the territory. I'm always surprised when people unconditionally love a character and can explain and interpret everything this character does.

However, I still think people should be allowed to voice their opinion without being told that they are boring or irrelevant or rubbish (although I understand that several threads all about how people dislike Amy can be grating on those who don't).
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Steven Moffatt explain right at the start that Amy - unlike her predecessors - had known the Doctor since she was a little girl? Also she seems largely to have brought herself up (capable of frying bacon safely at seven years of age despite absent aunt? Not frightened by the strange man whose box crash-landed in her garden?). Might that help to explain why she is less in awe of him than they were? In some ways (not all, obviously) she is more his equal than Rose, Martha and Donna, hence her ability to come up with the solution as early as Episode 2.

Unlike some, I like Amy and I like Karen Gillan too. She has a natural comic sense of timing, but - like any good comic - she can go dark as well. Witness her reaction when Rory died in the dream. It was deliberately underplayed and subtly done, but all the more telling for it. There is much more development potential in this character - and Moffatt is just the writer to bring it out - but I suspect we might have to wait until next year before we know everything.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Witness her reaction when Rory died in the dream. It was deliberately underplayed and subtly done, but all the more telling for it.

Totally agree.

I believe this is the real difference between SM Who and RTD Who, that SM Who is lightly dialled back on the emotional displays. Some see that as having less drama, I see that as more subtle and realistic. However the difference is slight and hardly worth a civil war, but this is the Interweb so ..... CHARGE!

j/k :o
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Might that help to explain why she is less in awe of him than they were? In some ways (not all, obviously) she is more his equal than Rose, Martha and Donna, hence her ability to come up with the solution as early as Episode 2.

Check the opening scenes of TEH - even little Amelia wasn't scared or in awe of him - she thought he was funny.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Check the opening scenes of TEH - even little Amelia wasn't scared or in awe of him - she thought he was funny.

She thought he was the answer to her prayers.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Ja88ed wrote: »
    She thought he was the answer to her prayers.

Ah, but that was before she met him!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly, from my own personal view, I didn't take to Amy in some of the earlier episodes, but I really warmed to her in Amy's choice and she was fine IMO (as a character) in the latest one. I also realised that it would be better if they had not cut so many scenes (I personally think the scene between the Doctor and Amy was an important one for character development, however I understand that that can't be helped).

To be fair, I probably found every companion annoying from time to time and it probably comes with the territory. I'm always surprised when people unconditionally love a character and can explain and interpret everything this character does.

However, I still think people should be allowed to voice their opinion without being told that they are boring or irrelevant or rubbish (although I understand that several threads all about how people dislike Amy can be grating on those who don't).

I have to admit that I have been of the few people who haven't got annoyed in any sense with any of the new companions....I have taken to their flaws, and accepted it as part of them as I would of a real person I liked...amd don't hold it against them...I'm just weird!!!:D
    Didn't Steven Moffatt explain right at the start that Amy - unlike her predecessors - had known the Doctor since she was a little girl? Also she seems largely to have brought herself up (capable of frying bacon safely at seven years of age despite absent aunt? Not frightened by the strange man whose box crash-landed in her garden?). Might that help to explain why she is less in awe of him than they were? In some ways (not all, obviously) she is more his equal than Rose, Martha and Donna, hence her ability to come up with the solution as early as Episode 2.

Unlike some, I like Amy and I like Karen Gillan too. She has a natural comic sense of timing, but - like any good comic - she can go dark as well. Witness her reaction when Rory died in the dream. It was deliberately underplayed and subtly done, but all the more telling for it. There is much more development potential in this character - and Moffatt is just the writer to bring it out - but I suspect we might have to wait until next year before we know everything.
    Ja88ed wrote: »
    Totally agree.

I believe this is the real difference between SM Who and RTD Who, that SM Who is lightly dialled back on the emotional displays. Some see that as having less drama, I see that as more subtle and realistic. However the difference is slight and hardly worth a civil war, but this is the Interweb so ..... CHARGE!

j/k :o

But the thing is Amy has been in awe of the Doctor, probably more so than any of the companions....because she has been in awe of him since childhood...the dolss the pictures, dressing up Rory as the raggedy Doctor, the whole village knowing about him....I'd say that is huge awing!!!! Its just that as she grew up and saw how much the Doctor disappointed her by not coming back in five minutes, that awe turned into anger...which was hardly subtle when she shouted in his face "you said five minutes!"...and then mood she styed in untill he gave her the apple back....hardly subtle was it?

On their first adventure, Amy was in awe of the the fact that the Tardis was a space ship, and when she went out onto the starwhale, she was like "OMG look at this or look at that! and look at the way she says "its the futre and I'm dead!" in almost awe like, compared to Rose, who was becoming more and more cynical of taking the decision of travelling with the Doctor, and was a "sh*t my mum is dead"....she was regretting her decsion of travelling with the Doctor, while Amy seemed upset that the Doctor wanted to take her back, and not only that her "solution" to the problem was because of her understanding and love and admiration of the Doctor.....Which she made clear to everyone at least three times of why she felt that the Star whale was like the Doctor....sorry but not very subtle at all.

And as many example shown Amy has shown fear...the reason she wasn't scared of the Doctor was because she was scared of the crack in her wall (which she showed being scared of again in Flesh and Stone), she screamed her head off when she came face to face with prisoner zero.....and what she learnt in the voting booth scare the hell out of her too....when she thought her hand turned into stone well she was pretty much scred...and again she was scred when falling into the ground, and when she was in that box.

So she has shown fear, she doesn't take things into her stride anymore than Rose or Martha did, in fact Martha seemed to the bravest of them all, trusting a Doctor who she not long ago thought was a bit mad, and trusted him to give her last breath too....because she had seen him give his life....so she took a huge risk trusting him thinking he would save everyone...while all the rest were a bit doubtful about him at times.....but Amy was definitely the one who most worshipped him, and had spent her whole childhood doing so....

By the way just to add, I have no issue with either way...subtle or no subtle....I really do like Amy as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to admit that I have been of the few people who haven't got annoyed in any sense with any of the new companions....I have taken to their flaws, and accepted it as part of them as I would of a real person I liked...amd don't hold it against them...I'm just weird!!!:D

Well I knew there would be a time we had to disagree on something crazzy;):D. Actually, who says you are weird, maybe it's me who is too intolerant:D. I should probably soften my statement, when I say annoyed I meant kind of thinking, what is she doing that for, that doesn't make sense or stop whingeing, or why are you not afraid..... etc. I felt that about every companion at one point or another, however, I never truly disliked or hated one of them. So maybe we are not so different after all....
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I knew there would be a time we had to disagree on something crazzy;):D. Actually, who says you are weird, maybe it's me who is too intolerant:D. I should probably soften my statement, when I say annoyed I meant kind of thinking, what is she doing that for, that doesn't make sense or stop whingeing, or why are you not afraid..... etc. I felt that about every companion at one point or another, however, I never truly disliked or hated one of them. So maybe we are not so different after all....

Oh I get what you mean....although i don't think i have had that moment either:o so I think its because I'm weird!! I assure you!!!:D
    :rolleyes:

I'm guessing that was to the OP:p:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I get what you mean....although i don't think i have had that moment either:o so I think its because I'm weird!! I assure you!!!:D

That's sorted, you are weird then;):p. Or you are really lucky, because you have the ability to adapt and thus enjoy the programme so much more **take your pick**.

To be fair, I'm still waiting for a character I truly dislike ** don't forget I love Colin Baker, and I didn't even mind Mel**
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's sorted, you are weird then;):p. Or you are really lucky, because you have the ability to adapt and thus enjoy the programme so much more **take your pick**.

To be fair, I'm still waiting for a character I truly dislike ** don't forget I love Colin Baker, and I didn't even mind Mel**

Oh i know how to become even!!! I don't like Nyssa....I find her too bland!!! there you go!!! I'm normal again!!!:D

By the way i love Colin too!!! Haven't seen enough of Mel to hate her or even like her....but love Colin!!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'm normal again!!!:D

Sorry that statement is not possible on a Dr Who forum:p;).
    By the way i love Colin too!!! Haven't seen enough of Mel to hate her or even like her....but love Colin!!:D

Colin was treated badly, and he loved Dr Who so much (I know I keep repeating myself). I wish we had more stories with him:(. Mel was ok, a product of her time. I thought in the first story with Colin, she was actually really likeable.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member

Her and anyone else still moaning about Amy and the new series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry that statement is not possible on a Dr Who forum:p;).

Colin was treated badly, and he loved Dr Who so much (I know I keep repeating myself). I wish we had more stories with him:(. Mel was ok, a product of her time. I thought in the first story with Colin, she was actually really likeable.

Oh yes very true!!!!:D

From the stories i have seen my only compliant ever is the coat....but other than that i seem to enjoy most of the CB stories...I even love the Two Doctors....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh yes very true!!!!:D

From the stories i have seen my only compliant ever is the coat....but other than that i seem to enjoy most of the CB stories...I even love the Two Doctors....

Me too, but of course I love Jamie and the second doctor as well, so I'm doubly happy. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me too, but of course I love Jamie and the second doctor as well, so I'm doubly happy. :D

That was my first story of seeing Jamie and the Second Doctor...and i already became a fan of both from there...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was my first story of seeing Jamie and the Second Doctor...and i already became a fan of both from there...

Hah my first one was tomb of the cybermen, and the second doctor will always have a special place in my heart as well (he is so caring). Actually I need to go into the other thread about the 6th doctor now:D.
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    number 1) Donna
    number 2) Amy (so far)
    number 3) season 1 Rose
    number 4) season 2 Rose
    number 5) Martha (a long, long, long way down at number 5)