Some of the chosen ones are just dreadful...

jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
Forum Member
✭✭
Are they F******** the producer or what???
Terrible terrible terrible.

Its all so staged.
Flat, out of tune and dull..

Comments

• jj2jj2 Posts: 4,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The standard of singers tonight was very poor apart from the last girl
  • DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the judges choices were not good. The Amy Winehouse lookalikey was definitely a no no.
  • jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of the judges choices were not good. The Amy Winehouse lookalikey was definitely a no no.

Tbh, it is she that provoked this thread amongst a couple of others.
    Its almost as if the judges have been told to put them through.
  • scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She actually goes quite a long way, you'll be seeing more of her
  • DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She actually goes quite a long way, you'll be seeing more of her

A long way? Like the previous winner? :)
  • lulu glulu g Posts: 52,640
    Forum Member
    She was flat as a pancake and murdered a great song.

The girl who sang the Noisettes' song was also flat, as well as putting on a comedy voice. Quirky is only good if you also have a good voice.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lulu g wrote: »
    She was flat as a pancake and murdered a great song.

The girl who sang the Noisettes' song was also flat, as well as putting on a comedy voice. Quirky is only good if you also have a good voice.

Do you mean the mum from Belfast? I thought the same until I listened back and think the nerves got to her in the beginning but when she settled in it was very good. I thought there was a little bit of Etta James in there. Surprised Tom didn't mention it.:kitty:
  • lulu glulu g Posts: 52,640
    Forum Member
    twingle wrote: »
    Do you mean the mum from Belfast? I thought the same until I listened back and think the nerves got to her in the beginning but when she settled in it was very good. I thought there was a little bit of Etta James in there. Surprised Tom didn't mention it.:kitty:
    Yes, that's who I mean. Etta James? :o Oh no, I didn't hear any of that.
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the justification of picking an Amy Winehouse lookalike / soundalike when others have been rejected for not being original enough?

Wasn't keen on here at all. Or any of them tonight really.

The folk duo were my faves! (not that I'd have turned for them either).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    What's the justification of picking an Amy Winehouse lookalike / soundalike when others have been rejected for not being original enough?

Wasn't keen on here at all. Or any of them tonight really.

The folk duo were my faves! (not that I'd have turned for them either).

She was awful and out of tune none of girls are a patch on Leah.
  • nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jules1000 wrote: »

Its all so staged.

You are overlooking that the point of the show is to reject anyone who can already sing and to jump at the chance to coach someone who is flat, out of tune and dull because what they are singing sounds different to how the original artist sang it and hence illustrates their potential.
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    jules1000 wrote: »

Its all so staged.
    The producers of The Voice clearly need to sack all the judges and let you choose who goes through, because you seem to know so much more than they do.

They may well be massively successful songwriters and performers, but they clearly don't have a clue about good singers. Unlike you.

What are your credentials, by the way? Are you a famous recording artist or suchlike?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    The producers of The Voice clearly need to sack all the judges and let you choose who goes through, because you seem to know so much more than they do.

They may well be massively successful songwriters and performers, but they clearly don't have a clue about good singers. Unlike you.

What are your credentials, by the way? Are you a famous recording artist or suchlike?

Wow I totally agree with your first sentence.

My credentials are that I've got a good set of ears and can recognise a decent singer when I hear one, which last night was non existent apart from the last girl.
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad not just me.

Some truly dreadful caterwauling this episode (and series generally).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    I think sometimes they go for 'unique' or 'quirky' at the expense of 'listenable'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    greymarl wrote: »
    I think sometimes they go for 'unique' or 'quirky' at the expense of 'listenable'.

Yes particularly Will I Am...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jeff_vader wrote: »
    Glad not just me.

Some truly dreadful caterwauling this episode (and series generally).

Thankyou I agree.
  • notinnotin Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the acts tonight IMO were not up to much apart from the 16yr old at the end...wow...she can sing , controlled, flexibility in the tonal qualities, dynamic shades....possible winner.
  • Linda_DeanLinda_Dean Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lulu g wrote: »
    Quirky is only good if you also have a good voice.

THIS x 57522698522784298.

Anybody who can hold a note can put on an affected silly voice and be hailed as the next 'unique and truly original' singer. The real challenge comes when the 'quirks' and 'gimmicks' are stripped away from a song and all they are left with is the melody and meaning of a song.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't remember names from tonight, but several out of tune ones got through, someone else sang through their nose and got through. And yet a couple that sounded spot on got no one turn for them. Also its very female dominated this year.
  • japarajapara Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    natalian wrote: »
    You are overlooking that the point of the show is to reject anyone who can already sing and to jump at the chance to coach someone who is flat, out of tune and dull because what they are singing sounds different to how the original artist sang it and hence illustrates their potential.

totally agree with the irony in this....what is wrong in singing a song how it was originally sung, too often songs are completed ruined by poor vocal gymnastics. The programme is supposed to be about the voice not the music arrangement, that is something the judges can help with at the latter stages of the competition.
    This programme is dire, the auditions take far too long, too much time spent on VT's and I don't know how people sound in the studio but so many of the judges decisions are totally baffling.
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I can't believe so many Judges turned for her. She wasn't anything special whatsoever. When the rels were shouting for the judges to press their buzzers I was shouting for them not to do it. :D
  • SliverOfDiamondSliverOfDiamond Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Linda_Dean wrote: »
    THIS x 57522698522784298.

Anybody who can hold a note can put on an affected silly voice and be hailed as the next 'unique and truly original' singer. The real challenge comes when the 'quirks' and 'gimmicks' are stripped away from a song and all they are left with is the melody and meaning of a song.

Yes, a good melody, sung well, would be nice.

Why is screeching, 'quirky', and vocal gymnastics supposed to be so great, when it sounds so f'ing awful?
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't like any of them tonight apart from maybe the 16 year old at the end. Problem for me this year is absolutely no one is memorable. Apart from Leo from The Streets, I couldn't name you a single person who has got through or remember any performance. And I probably only remember Leo because he was in The Streets.
    It's all very bland and mediocre imo
  • JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    I was baffled by some of the choices by the judges. Jai may have a distinct voice, but it's one you would tire of very quickly and it does not sound like she can adapt to many songs.

And why do they say to Leanne that she was too close to the original verson of Skyfall (which she did very well) etc, but the copy cat of Amy Winehouse (was it Melissa?) they said nothing to about not being original. Not only did she try very hard to look and sound like Amy but her performance was very flat.

Bizzarre.